Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 12:34 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,914,289 times

Advertisements

If been reading all these posts - and in my opinion, if you have to ask the question anywhere "Is <insert place here> really that bad", it probably is.

As someone who is a very frequent visitor for work to the BI - what strikes me, as someone who doesn't live in Puna full-time, is - what is the deal with all the "Keep Out" signs - or "No Trespassing" - someone made a fortune marketing those signs to that area.

But my bigger question is: Who are they trying to "Keep Out" or who is doing all this "Trespassing" - it isn't exactly a tourist mecca......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2015, 02:02 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,574,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
As someone who is a very frequent visitor for work to the BI - what strikes me, as someone who doesn't live in Puna full-time, is - what is the deal with all the "Keep Out" signs - or "No Trespassing" - someone made a fortune marketing those signs to that area.
Yes, what the hell ever happened to 'Kapu'......

It's a bad sign

Old 09-28-2015, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
Yes, what the hell ever happened to 'Kapu'......

It's a bad sign
I don't have to drive to Puna for that - I can just head over to Waimanalo.

Old 09-28-2015, 08:49 AM

2,624 posts, read 7,261,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
Generally if you stay near the pavement and away from the "homes" made out of tarps and away from the weirdos who spell Kapu out of pig bones on their frontage you'll be fine.
Those might not be "pig" bones that are used to spell out "Kapu"...

Old 09-28-2015, 03:38 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,035,149 times
I've heard you can't prosecute for trespassing unless it's posted. Considering whom it might be that would fit under that label, it could be pig hunters, thieves spocking out the place, vandals aren't as likely, but thieves checking it out are a high possibility.

As for security in HPP, I think it's the Russians who have some sort of saying about you don't have to run faster than the bear, you just have to run faster than the other guy. Maybe it's the Alaskans who say that? In any case, if you have a fence and a dog and a security camera, most likely the thieves will go somewhere else.

Old 09-28-2015, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
I've heard you can't prosecute for trespassing unless it's posted.
You don't need a sign in Hawaii if the property is fenced or designed in a manner to keep people out.

You can also verbally say - hey, get off of my property - that works also.

House Bill

Last edited by whtviper1; 09-28-2015 at 04:13 PM..

Old 09-29-2015, 12:22 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,261,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
But my bigger question is: Who are they trying to "Keep Out" or who is doing all this "Trespassing" - it isn't exactly a tourist mecca......
Most likely, they're trying to "Keep Out" folks like Sebastian Hernandez, Olivia Medeiros, Ronald Altura Jr., and Jesley Saniatan who like to commit burglary while they're "trespassing."
Probation, short jail term for HPP burglar | Hawaii Tribune-Herald
Man who burglarized Puna homes cuts plea deal | Hawaii Tribune-Herald

Unfortunately, even if caught violating the law, these folks merely receive a "slap on the wrist."

Old 09-29-2015, 09:50 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,906,711 times
"As someone who is a very frequent visitor for work to the BI - what strikes me, as someone who doesn't live in Puna full-time, is - what is the deal with all the "Keep Out" signs - or "No Trespassing" - someone made a fortune marketing those signs to that area."

There are over 55,000 undeveloped lots in Puna, who knows how many additional lots that are vacant but with some development, definitely thousands, and its frequently impossible to tell from the street which lot has just a path or driveway and which one has a structure with people living there. If you want to deter squatters or thieves, you put up signs to at least give the illusion that somebody cares about the property. I can tell from experience it doesn't work nearly 99% of the time (some people will see the signs and think... somebody is posting signs... there must be something worthwhile to steal). But if it works only a small part of the time, the signs are cheap. And available at stores everywhere.

Getting creative and spelling out KAPU in bones... that definitely means somebody is there frequently enough to rearrange the bones as necessary.

If you own land in Puna and want to keep the douche bags away you need to have somebody living on it. Again, I speak from experience. It doesn't mean that Puna is less safe than other places, however there are probably safer places to live. It depends on what your definition of safety is. For me, owning a large tract of land and farming it makes me feel safer than paying $3000/month for a zero room apartment in Manhattan.

If you fear adventure, Puna is NOT the place for you. The same can be said for much of NYC, or now that I think about it, most of the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island