Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 12:19 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,917,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leilaniguy View Post
There are many here who do it under 2 grand a month, they just don't live at your bloated North American standard.
Like who?

Can't we get an actual example?

Without public assistance please.

FOR TWO PEOPLE

By the way, I don't live in North America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2015, 10:50 AM

5,528 posts, read 12,674,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Like who?

Can't we get an actual example?

Without public assistance please.

FOR TWO PEOPLE

By the way, I don't live in North America.
Oh, come on. Now you're being silly. Both Leilaniguy and I live in rural areas of the Big Island, and we both know people who live on very limited incomes. It's a lot different here than in Honolulu!

But you don't believe us when we say something based on our actual experience and now you want us to provide examples? You want me to go to my friends and ask them to provide an income and expense report?

Old 12-27-2015, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post

But you don't believe us when we say something based on our actual experience and now you want us to provide examples? You want me to go to my friends and ask them to provide an income and expense report?
It's one thing to have a limited income - another to have 2 people live on $20K per year AND own a home and all the maintenance that goes with it AND not living on public assistance AND be visually impaired.

Now, if you said - I know some folks that rent a small room - or, there are 10 people stacked in the house - then I can buy into it. $20K, 2 people - own home - no public assistance - we shall agree to disagree.

Old 12-27-2015, 02:33 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,674,120 times
And unless the OP has any more questions, this thread is done.

Old 01-05-2016, 09:33 PM

10,567 posts, read 7,767,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Oh, come on. Now you're being silly. Both Leilaniguy and I live in rural areas of the Big Island, and we both know people who live on very limited incomes. It's a lot different here than in Honolulu! ..:
A couple extreme examples from lower Puna: a family of three, living on three hundred a month. A single woman, not sure how much she spends, but most months I would guess less than one hundred. No public assistance in either case. Live like a king with two grand!

Old 01-05-2016, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
A couple extreme examples from lower Puna: a family of three, living on three hundred a month. A single woman, not sure how much she spends, but most months I would guess less than one hundred. No public assistance in either case. Live like a king with two grand!
Can't you do better than that! How about $200/month!!!

Old 01-10-2016, 06:35 PM

4,416 posts, read 4,908,923 times
"Hey, if you've got lambs for sale, Terracore, I know someone looking for some to mow their orchard"

We have hair sheep (barbados cross). They pretty much stick to grazing though.

Old 01-13-2016, 11:37 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,038,603 times
Ratz, they're looking for the woolly kind of sheep so the fleeces can be made into yarn. There's a lot of the barbados crosses around, though, they did get two of them since they couldn't find the variety they were looking for. Do hair sheep have any useful fiber on them? Probably not soft like woolly sheep? Do folks get it before it molts off the sheep and spin it into anything?

I'm seeing a lot more sheep around here lately. When I asked a rancher friend about it, they said there's a demand for lamb coming from Maui. Guess the high end restaurants want local lamb.

I would think a flock of sheep would be useful for making a bit of income. It would most likely pay the land taxes in Puna, at least, if you sold a lamb or two. Which definitely wouldn't be a viable plan in Honolulu or most places on Oahu.

Old 01-14-2016, 07:51 PM

4,416 posts, read 4,908,923 times
My wife has had to shave some of our sheep. I'm guessing the wool could have been used for something but in our case in rainy Puna it was necessary for their health.

I hadn't heard about Maui wanting lamb but might look into it. Local price of sheep is not very high.

Old 01-23-2016, 12:18 PM

1 posts, read 717 times
Default Hotzcatz - please share re: tax land sale?

'There's also the upcoming tax land sale, you can get good deals on land there. You have to be there in person with cash and pay immediately, though. And the previous owners have a year to come take the property back, but they do have to pay you what you paid plus ten percent, so it isn't likely to happen often.'[/quote]

I am curious about this 'tax land sale' - I googled, but couldn't find anything specific? Could you provide a link or a way I can search it? Sounds kind of scary if owners can take it back in a year, but at least you get a decent interest rate on it!! I just sold my house on Oahu and am currently in Seattle. I hope to come over spring break to buy a place in the Puna area, and then move back over permanently this summer.

I think the OP might be able to do it - housing and medical costs are the key and insurances. I lived on next to nothing on Oahu - ran out every Weds morning after the grocery ads came out to buy sales before they ran out, shopped second hand, had bad roommates, and did all of the cost savings things we non millionaires do! All these posts about mainlanders moving to Hawaii and asking about expenses - so much depends on what you can live without and still be content, if you are not wealthy.

**Please note, I am new to this forum and if I quoted wrongly or went off topic, please forgive me and advise!! Mahalo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island