Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2016, 03:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,561 times

Advertisements

Long time reader, first time poster here.

My wife and I are considering a move to Hawaii in about 4 years, possibly 3. I have a concern for my children's well being. In 4 years time our son will be 8 years old and our daughter 7. I've read old posts on this forum regarding main land children having a hard time in school and public places because of the fact that they are from the main land and/or "white". I haven't seen any recent posts regarding the issue, only posts as new as 2012.

We plan to send them to one of the private or charter schools on the big island. We are excited to see that there are two Montessori schools (we really dig their teaching style) on the big island and would likely choose the Montessori school in Pāhoa.

Are there any parents on this forum or even other kids that can provide some insight into life for a main land child on the big island? Does anyone on here have their kids enrolled in one of the Montessori schools?

Thank you for your time.

Jake
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2016, 12:57 AM

2,081 posts, read 5,602,126 times
.You will probably have better luck asking on punaweb, the local website centered in Pahoa.

Old 02-20-2016, 10:57 AM

4,416 posts, read 4,920,198 times
Hi Jake,

Second Punaweb. We moved here in 2012 with a daughter in High School. I've posted about it many times both here and on Punaweb. You said your kids will be 7 and 8- the big problems don't usually start until middle or high school. Your kids should be integrated by then and should have few problems, however if you put them into public education they will not get a good education compared to the rest of the nation.

Old 03-06-2016, 12:48 PM

28 posts, read 35,208 times
I live on Kona side and my kids go to the local public school (Kahakai). My kids are in kindergarten and 3rd grade. Both have very light brown hair with blue eyes. We moved to the island about 8 months ago and have not yet had a problem with bullying or teasing of my kids. They have friends here that are hawaiian, half-hawaiian, hispanic and asian. We've been welcomed and invited to birthday parties, hula shows, and community events.

I looked into the Waldorf charter school but was put off by some things in their philosophy and some of my interactions with their staff during my initial inquiry. We ultimately decided not to go there.

Private schools are EXTREMELY expensive here. We decided that the kids didn't need that for elementary school and that we would take it as it goes for middle and high school.

We have experienced not one ounce of prejudice so far in either our adult interactions or those involving our children.

Old 03-06-2016, 12:55 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,602,126 times
Elementary school isn't such a problem, it's high school, with attitudes, testosterone and teenage angst thrown in the mix.

Old 03-10-2016, 05:05 PM

10 posts, read 13,897 times
My family is also looking to relocate to the Big Island in about 2 years. My son will be entering high school and my daughter will be in middle school. Working in the schools myself I really want them to get a public school education. We are coming out for another visit, to narrow down the location we will move to. Hilo or Kona...always the question! Can anyone give opinions on Kealakehe near Kona and Waiakia near Hilo??? Those are the 2 main areas we are leaning towards, but we love each for different reasons.

Old 03-11-2016, 10:53 AM

35 posts, read 48,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ofthesea123 View Post
My family is also looking to relocate to the Big Island in about 2 years. My son will be entering high school and my daughter will be in middle school. Working in the schools myself I really want them to get a public school education. We are coming out for another visit, to narrow down the location we will move to. Hilo or Kona...always the question! Can anyone give opinions on Kealakehe near Kona and Waiakia near Hilo??? Those are the 2 main areas we are leaning towards, but we love each for different reasons.
Hi,

While I went to Waiakea as a caucasian kid it was in the 90's and I was born and raised here so my personal experience would not really relate to what your children will likely experience...

I can offer this unequivocally: the communities surrounding the two schools you mention are drastically different.

If you will be to both sides of the Island, the differences you see in the two communities will be the general theme of the differences in the two schools (naturally that would apply almost always, everywhere)....the difference is profound, although I think it is fair to say both schools are the best public high schools on each side of the Island.

Old 03-11-2016, 11:00 AM

35 posts, read 48,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _thedude View Post
Long time reader, first time poster here.

My wife and I are considering a move to Hawaii in about 4 years, possibly 3. I have a concern for my children's well being. In 4 years time our son will be 8 years old and our daughter 7. I've read old posts on this forum regarding main land children having a hard time in school and public places because of the fact that they are from the main land and/or "white". I haven't seen any recent posts regarding the issue, only posts as new as 2012.

We plan to send them to one of the private or charter schools on the big island. We are excited to see that there are two Montessori schools (we really dig their teaching style) on the big island and would likely choose the Montessori school in Pāhoa.

Are there any parents on this forum or even other kids that can provide some insight into life for a main land child on the big island? Does anyone on here have their kids enrolled in one of the Montessori schools?

Thank you for your time.

Jake
I am not sure the Montessori school in Pahoa is still open, it may have closed in 2014 (?).

As far as the kids experience, where are you coming from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island