Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2016, 05:10 PM

3 posts, read 3,495 times

Advertisements

Hi all, new to the forum. I have a few questions regarding moving to the Big Island from the mainland. I apologize if they have already been answered in other threads.
My wife and I are planning to move to the BI in about three years. We plan to buy a house outright so that we have no house payment and can take the first jobs we can get until established.
I am a semi driver and my wife will take whatever work she can get. She is not a professional. We plan to live as close to Kona as possible as I'm sure we won't be able to afford a place in Kona. Our kids are out of the house, and we have no debt.
Any advice, warnings, suggestions, irregular expenses that may be unique to Hawaii? Anyone or everyone telling us our plan is unrealistic?
Thanks

Last edited by seanalmet; 03-04-2016 at 05:20 PM.. Reason: Add info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2016, 05:45 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,998,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanalmet View Post
Any advice, warnings, suggestions, irregular expenses that may be unique to Hawaii?
If you need to ask the above question then I suggest a trip to the island is in order before you move.

Old 03-04-2016, 05:50 PM

74 posts, read 74,831 times
"Close to Kona" tends to be every bit as expensive as Kona. How close is close enough?

Be wary of "Leasehold" properties (numerous south of Kona) where you buy the house, but can only lease the land it is on... the list price looks cheaper until you factor in the lease.

The Big Island has many "microclimates" as well as "microcultures", if you will. Make sure to spend a few weeks before making any decisions.

Old 03-04-2016, 06:23 PM

3 posts, read 3,495 times
whtviper1,Thanks for your reply. We have been to the big island and love it, we just got back Monday from our second trip. We know what to expect as tourists, I was looking for tips for actually living there.

Lodestone, Thanks to you also. I think any decent house in our price range is going to require at least an hour commute. It looks like there are some really nice, reasonably priced houses in Ocean View. The condos seem affordable until the HOA expenses are factored in.

Old 03-04-2016, 07:48 PM

5,531 posts, read 12,714,142 times
Do a search for 1000 things that are different about living in Hawaii. Hotzcatz has come up with some great ideas.

Old 03-04-2016, 08:47 PM

9,444 posts, read 6,610,375 times
I highly recommend renting for a while. Jobs of any sort are not easy to find, and many are part time and or seasonal. There is often strong preference given to locals for jobs, but don't get discouraged. Friendships with locals will probably develop slowly, partly because they see so many mainlanders leave after a year or two. There will be things you miss, but try not to compare or talk too much about "home". Be aware that healthcare is very limited on the BI, and you will have to fly to Honolulu for some specialties. Pets are largely not allowed in condos or apts. Living quarters tend to be much smaller than on the ml, and you might want to leave furniture and a lot of "stuff" behind and get get new when you settle in., Anything pressboard will be quickly destroyed by the humidity. Good Luck!

Old 03-04-2016, 08:52 PM

74 posts, read 74,831 times
Ocean View has a certain "reputation" for lawlessness, possibly overblown.
Its primary drawbacks are high "vog" and barren lava rock for landscaping. But, the price is right.

Old 03-04-2016, 10:15 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,612,252 times
Oceanview is one hour and fifteen minutes from Kailua-Kona on a narrow two lane twisty and steep road. Then you have to climb up into the subdivision up to four miles. It could work if you were retired and didn't have to go into "town" every day.

Old 03-04-2016, 10:21 PM

9,444 posts, read 6,610,375 times
It can be kind of a nerve racking drive actually.

Old 03-06-2016, 12:14 AM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,175,313 times
I live in Oceanview and commute to work in Captain Cook every day. It's about a half hour drive.
IMHO it isn't bad drive, the road is pretty well maintained and it sure beats commuting on a 4 lane freeway, inching along in gridlock, staring at the tail lights of the car in front of you.
I wouldn't want to commute into Kona every day, but a lot of folks do.
And the lawless reputation of Oceanview is pepetuated by residents to keep others out
Seriously though, yes there is some crime, but I think it's overblown and don't lose any sleep over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island