Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 01:46 PM

15 posts, read 22,081 times

Advertisements

Been looking on line to determine how strict the rules are in Waikoloa Village. I'm not big fan of HOA's to say the least, but might be willing to live there if we can't find something in Kamuela. Curious as to what the general do's and can't do's are. I really don't care about the amenities just don't want someone reporting me if I park wrong, or put up a fence, or? I've tried reading through there documents on line, but could find nothing of significance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2016, 02:46 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,008,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierraautosports View Post
Been looking on line to determine how strict the rules are in Waikoloa Village. I'm not big fan of HOA's to say the least, but might be willing to live there if we can't find something in Kamuela. Curious as to what the general do's and can't do's are. I really don't care about the amenities just don't want someone reporting me if I park wrong, or put up a fence, or? I've tried reading through there documents on line, but could find nothing of significance.
you will not be able to put up a fence. it's a condo. you will have an assigned parking spot, if you park in other people's spot, that would be a problem. you would get a copy of the HOA's to review when you make an offer on the property.

Old 03-08-2016, 03:18 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,256,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierraautosports View Post
The general "dos and don'ts" are described in section 2 of the Waikoloa Village Association's "Declaration of Protective Convenants"...
http://www.waikoloa.org/HOA/assn2933...let%202015.pdf

Here are some of the ones that could give some folks problems…
J. Vehicle Parking. No boat, trailer, truck or truck camper will be habitually parked on any street or kept on a Lot except in a garage or carport or in a location not visible from the adjacent street, except that the requirements of this paragraph may be waived or modified by the Committee in the case of Lots which present difficult access problems.
N. Removal of Trees. No tree over 3 inches in diameter may be cut down without the prior written consent of the Committee.
O. Television or Radio Antennae and Towers and Laundry Drying Facilities. No television or radio antennae or tower shall be erected or used outdoors on any Lot, whether attached to a building or structure or otherwise without Committee approval. No laundry drying equipment shall be so located as to be visible from the adjacent street unless first approved in writing by the Committee.
As for putting up a "fence," it is considered to be an "improvement" and the following applies…
A. General Powers of the Committee.
(i) Power of Approval. No Improvement may be constructed without the prior written approval of the Committee. Such approval shall be granted only upon the written application in the manner and form prescribed by the Committee, accompanied by two sets of plans and specifications for such Improvement. The application shall show the location of all Improvements existing upon said Lot, the location of the Improvement proposed to be constructed, the color and composition of all exterior materials to be used, any proposed landscaping, and any other information which the Committee may require, including soil, engineering and geologic reports and recommendations.

Old 03-08-2016, 03:32 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,660,633 times
Do they post their meeting minutes on-line? Sometimes you can get a feel for what's going on in a community by reading the minutes.

Old 03-08-2016, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Do they post their meeting minutes on-line? Sometimes you can get a feel for what's going on in a community by reading the minutes.
Yep. Here's the link…
Waikoloa Village Association - Board Meeting Minutes

Old 03-08-2016, 04:04 PM

15 posts, read 22,081 times
Thanks everyone! I get the feeling that it wouldn't be for me. I would be looking at a house not a condo, and I'm not the type to park junk, put up antenna's, etc., but I would be wondering constantly if the association would be checking. I'll take my time and look for a small home in the Kamuela area. Just need to balance the green vs dry side dilemma.

Old 03-08-2016, 07:04 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,157,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Hey I have a question about condo minutes. My condo does minutes once a year for annual meeting, bare bones done by managing agents. Meets minimum regulatory requirement.

Condo board meets around four times a year, but no minutes. Most stuff done via email between meetings. Condo owners only invited to annual meeting. Last meeting we had five board members, five proxies and met the quorum by only six non board members showing up. We cant get folks to go to annual meeting. So one meeting a year.

We issue financials by CPA once a year. We have no newsletter and no website.

It is a small condo 30 units.

Would it turn a buyer off with such little info. Or would it be better as folks read into things? Our original offering plan from 35 years ago is unaltered. So you get a photocopy that is in pdf, offering plan was done on a typewriter!!!

Old 03-08-2016, 07:32 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,660,633 times
Hawaii does have some pretty extensive laws governing HOAs. Is your condo in Hawaii?

Regarding your condo board, it sounds like they are not acting ethically. First of all, all meetings of the Board are supposed to be open to the public, unless it is Executive Session. Secondly, anytime they meet they should be taking minutes and posting them for public view. Thirdly, the Board can't make any decisions that they vote on unless it is in a meeting open to the public and advertised (on website, on bulletin board, etc.) in advance. Your CC&Rs and Bylaws should cover all of this.

I've been in HOAs for many years, and I personally would not trust a condo association that is run as sloppily as yours is. Do they post financial statements?

Old 03-08-2016, 11:35 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,230,984 times
We have a home in Waikola village. The HOA is a joke. There are plenty of cars parked in yards, tall weeds, broken down fences. And as for fences, there's no consistency here. Wrought iron, plastic, wood, rock. Seems like whatever you want to do, do. I think one of the responders was confusing Waikoloa resort (condos) with Waikola Village (mostly SFH). In any event, dont let the HOA scare you off, they enforce nothing. Sadly.

Old 03-09-2016, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joliefille View Post
We have a home in Waikola village. The HOA is a joke. There are plenty of cars parked in yards, tall weeds, broken down fences. And as for fences, there's no consistency here. Wrought iron, plastic, wood, rock. Seems like whatever you want to do, do. I think one of the responders was confusing Waikoloa resort (condos) with Waikola Village (mostly SFH). In any event, dont let the HOA scare you off, they enforce nothing. Sadly.
HOAs that don't routinely and uniformly enforce their CC&Rs probably shouldn't even bother with having CC&Rs at all. However, the Waikoloa Village Homeowners' Association appears to be trying to get their act together. They've even gone as far as to have an online complaint form for folks to report violations. Considering that they have a 25-page "Declaration of Protective Convenants," it might be best to be somewhat wary, despite past non-enforcement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island