Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2016, 10:38 AM

30 posts, read 73,536 times

Advertisements

Having a fully trained, licensed, certified, Medical Alert/Assist dog who will be flying in cabin with us to the B.I. I have been reading the great posts here and elsewhere.

Most states have restrictions on dogs and beaches. Some of the most restrictive are in states some don't think of when you talk about recreational water access. Then again with the pollution in rivers, creeks, ponds, lakes etc. have them warning about humans not swimming in the water like Arizona. San Diego was an area that has more restrictive regulations for beaches than Hawaii, yet once people realized that my dog was a service dog there were no hassles and everything was mellow.

Now I am often the 1st person to tell people with untrained or Fake service dogs that they must spend the time to train their dog or have someone who is qualified train it. Currently I help train service and assist dogs for No Fee. I do this not to just be a good guy, but to help with public opinion. A trained medical alert/assist dog is Necessary and Vital for my daily life. Much like the wheelchair that I was in for 2+++ years the service dog is very similar in some ways. I was determined to show the surgeons that I not only would walk again, but get back surfing. The difference is I rarely need a wheelchair, but will Always require a Service Dog.

Okay.......here is the bottom line......Do any members have a medical service dog that must accompany them everywhere, Including the beach?

Several of the attorneys who I work with have said that the American Disability Act Allows medical service and assist dogs full access wherever the person goes.

Honestly once people see how well trained my 65lb chocolate labrador is they usually ask if I would consider helping them with their pets, let alone medical assist animals. Less than 15% of dogs have the natural ability to sense seizures. Not something that can be trained as many think. No matter what state we have been visiting I've never had any State official or LEO say anything about my service dog being on beaches etc. Much may be due to the fact that they usually observe things 1st and see how under control my service dog is. Sure he's a lab and absolutely Loves kids and people which really helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2016, 01:03 PM

74 posts, read 74,553 times
Don't need service dogs myself, but we've seen several service dogs at Big Island beaches and have chatted with some of their owners. Occasionally someone complains, but desist when they point out that it's a service dog. On some of the more remote beaches (Kehena and Punaluu), we've seen regular dogs wandering around without leashes.

Owning regular dogs ourselves, we're still trying to make sense of it all, as we'd like to bring them, but aren't sure where they are allowed. Officially, dogs are not allowed at any beaches that I know of, save for Puako (which is very rocky and has no surf).

PS: I presume you've gone thru the rabies quarantine hoops? Otherwise, Fido spend the trip in the kennel regardless.

Old 03-19-2016, 02:28 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,696,948 times
I don't have a medical service dog myself. However, it is my understanding that as long as your dog is wearing the proper identification, he cannot be denied access. I think the problem with beaches is that no-one wants to play in the sand that dogs have peed and pooped in.

Do be careful with the dog here, because so many beaches are lava rock instead of sand.

You can go on-line and find a list of dog friendly beaches. Then it's a no-brainer.

Old 03-19-2016, 03:47 PM

74 posts, read 74,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
You can go on-line and find a list of dog friendly beaches. Then it's a no-brainer.
Normally yes, but this is the Big Island. I've looked, there is nothing useful out there. Two reason Google is NOT your friend in this case:

1) Almost no tourists try to bring their pets due to the rabies quarantine thing, so the usual input to "traveling with your pet" websites is nil.

2) The Big Island disconnect between what is legal and what actually occurs (see Permits, Building). It is along the lines of Las Vegas and prostitution: "illegal, but highly encouraged". Just because dogs are not permitted does not mean that dogs are not there.

Old 03-20-2016, 10:10 AM

30 posts, read 73,536 times
I appreciate the tips and advice!

My service dog is currently in the quarantine period. He'll turn 7 about the time he comes over with me. Little concerned about the 5-6+ hours. Luckily he will be riding in cabin, but we all know how fun it is for humans to not have a restroom break.

One of the 1st commands that I teach any dog is to take a leak on command, where I point. I also work with the handler to pay attention to the signals the dog gives prior to taking a dump. Since the dog has disposal bags in the vest there can never be any excuses.

We have chosen the B.I. due to more kick back attitudes. Kuai was a thought, but the number of rentals was pretty slim.
Another reason for choosing the B.I. is the number of requests for helping people with addictions was larger than any other Island except for Oahu.
Demand has never been an issue, especially since we donate all services.

If any members have questions on No Surprise Interventions just shoot me a message!

The act of moving is never fun, yet the destination makes it all worth while.

Old 03-24-2016, 09:46 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,418,751 times
Default well...

I doubt that 'service dogs' of any sort would be a problem on any of the beaches as long as they are
able to be readily identified as such and are leashed and by their 'responsible' owners side at all times.
Koale
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: