Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 11:07 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,580,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot N Annie View Post
Mahalo to everyone for your kind words and prayer. Also for the pms I got about some of the Hilo legal folks. Much appreciated. So I dug out Bobbie's will and went to the Judicial bldg in Hilo and talked to a very nice lady there. Per her, jointly held assets are not part of the estate, and if the estate is less than $100k, no need for probate. Since virtually all assets we had (which is not a lot since it costs a bloody fortune to move from Florida to Hawaii...) were jointly held, I only have a couple of pieces of paper to deal with - one for her car (cars can not be jointly held) and one for a small IRA she had.

When my first wife died in 2002, back in Ohio, even with proper will, I recall paying our family lawyer about $5k to handle everything. And another lawyer in South Carolina to get title squared away on a property we had there that we thought was properly titled but wasn't.

Again, Mahalo.
This is good news. It sounds like you are doing well, though I know it is hard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2016, 11:56 PM

308 posts, read 410,421 times
I am no help whatsoever in the legalities of wills, but I wanted to extend my sincerest condolences for the passing of your wife. Having lost several beloved dogs, 2 parents, an uncle, and a grandfather in the past couple of years, I know just exactly how heartbreaking it is, as well as stressful, to lose someone you love. I hope that you can find some peace and comfort in the idea of a "better place" for her, where she no longer suffers. Some days, it's the only thing that gets me by.

It sounds so cliche', but I really am sorry for your loss. I will add you and your wife to my prayers, tonight.

Old 04-20-2016, 06:15 PM

13 posts, read 12,693 times
New here, but belated condolences.... the wife and I had to deal with several passings in the last two years so I send peace to you.
We are also from Florida looking to move to the BI... perhaps we shall meet This forum seems to be full of great folks.... can't wait to meet a few of them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: