Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 10:33 PM

128 posts, read 265,518 times

Advertisements

Aloha...... It's me again.
As some of you may know from my previous post. I am planning a move to the Big Island of Hawaii. One thing that I was considering was opening up a small business, I know that there are a lot of small businesses that did not do so well. It can be hard and I am aware of that. This is why I am doing my research and trying to get as much information as possible.

My fiance and I were just out on the Big Island last week. As always, we stayed in the Kona area as this is where a few of our friends live. One thing that we noticed every time we've gone and payed more attention to this last time is that there is hardly anywhere to get some good food after 8pm. Everything on the island except for maybe Jack in the Box closes early. I noticed that Kona now has an IHOP, but even that closes at 10pm. I even talked to a few people here and there, no matter where we were (Walmart, Target, on the street, etc.) and they said they would love to see a great place to grab a place to eat when they get off of work after 10pm and nothing is open.

My question is, how well would a taco/burrito cart/trailer do in the Kona area? I say cart/trailer because it would be a lot cheaper than a food truck. I grew up with my grandmother who is a little mexican woman and a fabulous cook. She taught me how to cook a lot of her dishes, some of which I've embellished over the years. Which surprisingly she now prefers.

I have some great recipes for some awesome tacos and burritos that I believe would sell well to the locals and tourists. Being that nothing is open late, I would try to cater to the later crowd as well. Possibly set up something off of or near Ali'i drive. I would try to keep my location open until about midnight or so.

Is this something that sounds like it would do well? what is your honest opinion. Are you in need of a good place to get some good eats after everyone else is closed? I've tried some of the mexican food in the area and I was not impressed. What is your opinion on the mexican joints in the area? what would you like to see? what foods are you wanting?

Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated. Mahalo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2016, 01:07 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,951,354 times
Taco Bell drive thru in Kona is open until midnight on weekends and likely cheaper than what you can offer. Just saying.

Old 04-27-2016, 02:17 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,072,228 times
How many people are out and about at night? We don't drive very much at night if we can help it because of animals crossing the road at night was well as rockfalls. Drunk drivers, too, but they're fairly low on the hazards list. I'd think if the taco cart is gonna do well, it will do just as well if not better in the daytime?

Personally, I'm still waiting for a roadside smoke shack like they have in the West & Southwest mainland, although that should be in the Waimea area instead of the Kona area. I mean, one of the largest cattle operations in the United States is in Waimea (Kamuela) and there's no steak house or small roadside smoke shack?

Actually, house prices are much more reasonable in the Waimea area and you'd still be close enough to visit your friends. Not a lot of walk by traffic, though, in Waimea, so if you were to do anything there, probably a truck or a building.

Restaurants are pretty risky, though.

Old 04-27-2016, 08:17 AM

10,583 posts, read 7,812,749 times
Dunno about Kona, but in Hilo area you won't find many people out looking for a meal after 8 PM.

hjmontijo, I would easily pay at least double the price for your tacos/burritos as I would for Taco Bell.

But then, most Big Island consumers may not be so discriminating.

Old 04-27-2016, 09:38 AM

1,620 posts, read 2,304,315 times
Have you done a food truck before? One might think it would be easier and less costly than leasing a brick and mortar space, but it's not always true.

Old 04-27-2016, 12:38 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,821,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
Dunno about Kona, but in Hilo area you won't find many people out looking for a meal after 8 PM.
When we were in Hilo we found Ken's House of Pancakes to always be fairly busy latter in the evening.

Old 04-27-2016, 01:18 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,268,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjmontijo View Post
My question is, how well would a taco/burrito cart/trailer do in the Kona area? I say cart/trailer because it would be a lot cheaper than a food truck. I grew up with my grandmother who is a little mexican woman and a fabulous cook. She taught me how to cook a lot of her dishes, some of which I've embellished over the years. Which surprisingly she now prefers.

I have some great recipes for some awesome tacos and burritos that I believe would sell well to the locals and tourists. Being that nothing is open late, I would try to cater to the later crowd as well. Possibly set up something off of or near Ali'i drive. I would try to keep my location open until about midnight or so.

Is this something that sounds like it would do well? what is your honest opinion. Are you in need of a good place to get some good eats after everyone else is closed? I've tried some of the mexican food in the area and I was not impressed. What is your opinion on the mexican joints in the area? what would you like to see? what foods are you wanting?

Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated. Mahalo!
If you're operating a mobile food cart/trailer legally, it might prove difficult to turn a profit. According to Chapter 11-50 of the "Hawaiʻi Administrative Rules" adopted by the Department of Health, a "mobile food establishment" has to operate out of an "approved food establishment" and has to return to that "approved food establishment" for cleaning and servicing. Moreover, the "approved food establishment" can't be a kitchen in a private home. Without access to an "approved food establishment," one can't legally operate a "mobile food establishment." Thus, you'll have to cut a deal with an existing "approved food establishment" or obtain an "approved food establishment" of your own. It might prove helpful to talk with some of the vendors at "Kona Street Eatz" to learn from their experiences.

Old 04-27-2016, 01:24 PM

354 posts, read 439,113 times
I think a taco cart on Ali'i drive might do well since there are not many good authentic Mexican places around. But you need to be there during the day. I work on Ali'i drive at night and dinner rush is like 5pm-6pm. After 8pm, Ali'i drive is practically dead. Also, are you going to be living near Ali'i drive? Didn't you want to live on East side (Puna) ??? You don't want to commute to North Kona from anywhere but North Kona. Driving here is slow and takes a long time

Old 04-27-2016, 08:39 PM

Thank you all for the great input.

BLIND CLERIC - Thank you. We're on the same page. When I say good eats, Taco Bell is NOT what I'm referring to. I do not eat Taco Bell myself as that stuff is garbage and the taste is nasty.

JONAH K - I have actually have already reached out to the county to obtain all the information and requirements needed to open up a location.

JANE M - I was originally looking to move on the Hilo side, but after our most recent visit and after a lot of persuasion from friends, we have decided to move to the Kona side, Yes the cost is higher, but all of our friends are on the Kona side of he island. This is ultimately where we will be most happy.

Old 04-27-2016, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane M View Post
I think a taco cart on Ali'i drive might do well since there are not many good authentic Mexican places around. But you need to be there during the day. I work on Ali'i drive at night and dinner rush is like 5pm-6pm. After 8pm, Ali'i drive is practically dead. Also, are you going to be living near Ali'i drive? Didn't you want to live on East side (Puna) ??? You don't want to commute to North Kona from anywhere but North Kona. Driving here is slow and takes a long time

Forgot to mention that, yes I would be open for lunch or dinner, but I would try to find a way to stay open a little later than most places as to cater to those who get off of work until after 10 or so. But again, I don't know. This is why I am trying to get as much information as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island