Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2016, 08:43 AM

1 posts, read 1,889 times

Advertisements

I am preparing a relocation to the Big Island. I have my flight and vehicle money as well as a place to stay for a short time but I am curious about how long it takes to actually aquire the land and be able to move onto it (even in a temporary structure). I am waiting until I get there so that I can look at the property before I purchase but I am also moving my children over later and want to properly plan for when their transition could happen.

I lived in the Marshall Islands as a teen and on Maui for a minute in my 20's so I do know a little bit (although each island is unique) of what I am getting into...not just an illusional pipedream...it wont be all lillikoi and cream!!!

Mahalo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2016, 12:39 PM

10,580 posts, read 7,797,913 times
Buying through a realtor or private party? Make sure to determine if it's in a flood zone.
Acquiring title to the land shouldn't take long at all. Hopefully it's surveyed and staked already.

The time needed to move in depends on whether you plan to go the legal route, with a building permit etc, or not.

At the least, you will need to clear a place for your car to get off the road. If there's any soil on the lot, forget about driving through a mud driveway, even with 4WD.

Old 06-01-2016, 12:52 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,685,696 times
Firstly, OP should request that the Admin move this to the Big Island subforum.

OP, not sure how much you know about Hawaiian Acres, but they do have a Community Association. I suggest contacting them for general questions and also for finding out if you can have a "temporary structure" there.

Regarding your question about how long does it take to acquire land, it depends. The process is not much different than buying on the mainland. If you are using a realtor, then you need to factor in time to meet with them, look at properties for sale, then make an offer. Once the offer is accepted, then it's a matter of going through escrow, checking title, HOA fees, taxes, etc., then scheduling closing. It could all happen in 60 days or less.

You mentioned temporary structure. Does that mean that you are looking for raw land to build on? Adding in time to clear and grade, then go through the permitting process, then building, if you are lucky it could be done in a year. Things move very slowly here.

Old 06-02-2016, 01:07 PM

130 posts, read 153,065 times
Your luck with a 'temporary structure' will be completely dependent on your neighbors as the code enforcement is complaint driven. That said, I'd guess that at least half the structures in HA are un-permitted, so most neighbors don't care. I suspect if you buy property in a neighborhood that rolls like that and you lay low yourself and don't make yourself a target you would have decent luck with it, but of course there are no guarantees.

Old 06-07-2016, 10:17 PM

4,416 posts, read 4,922,170 times
"I am curious about how long it takes to actually aquire the land and be able to move onto it"

In my experiences in Hawaii, from making offer to being received by court system takes about 60 days. Add at least 30 days if there is financing involved. Add another 10 days if one realtor doesn't work evenings or weekends (about half) and add an additional 10 days if neither of them do. Add AT LEAST another 10 days if seller isn't local.

Add more time if staking or inspections are part of the negotiations / deal.

Sorry can't be more precise, but 60-120 days is your answer. If everything goes right.

Edited to add- details

Last edited by terracore; 06-07-2016 at 10:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island