Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2016, 11:49 AM

101 posts, read 138,934 times

Advertisements

A lot of people talk about leaving your furniture behind. I can tell you from experience that this island has very cheap, very expensive and used. Very cheap is exactly that, particle board junk from Target and the like.
The very expensive will be from the various furniture stores around the island. While its nice stuff they up charge a serious paradise tax. Expect to pay double or triple if you buy new again from the better stores.
Buying used isn't all its cracked up to be. If you have all the time in the world to wait for stuff to come around that can work out. But most of the stuff I see used(and I look quite frequently) is worn the heck out or ugly, island, hotel style stuff with bamboo inserts and wicker wrapping.
As for shipping things here from Amazon and such don't expect larger items to be sent here.
I ordered two, twin memory foam beds and frames for my kids. They both shipped.
I needed a queen frame but that wouldn't ship here. If you find something wont ship from a online retailer try Ebay.
Ebay hasn't let me down yet for getting things here that others wouldn't send.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2016, 03:08 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,079,226 times
I've had a few folks on Ebay tell me that they will only ship to the United States. Sigh! I'm sure it's worse for the folks in the territories.

One of the reasons folks should downsize the amount of things they bring is that frequently they will be moving from a mainland sized house of 4,000 square feet or so. Very few houses in Hawaii are that size, so if you're moving from over a 2,500 square foot house to one in Hawaii, then there may be problems just from the sheer volume of stuff.

Currently, we're in a 3 bedroom 1 bath of 1,044 square feet. Our other houses are a 3 bedroom 2 bath of 1,072 square feet and a 3 bedroom 1 bath of 880 square feet. The 880 square feet one is really old and was built before they did hallways and closets. We're currently looking into building a house and the plans are coming in around 1,800 square feet and that just seems huge. I'm not sure what size the OP's house is and what size of house they will be moving to, but if there's a big difference in size between the two, there may be reasons other than the price of shipping to not bring all their things.

A lot of times folks will also want to redecorate in more of a tropical island look. 'Beach cottage' sort of look, light and airy, since it goes with the climate, etc. That may or may not work with the things they bring over. But, each person is different so there's lots of different answers and hopefully this will be helpful for the OP to find the best way for them.

Old 10-09-2016, 03:53 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,959,147 times
Put me in the camp of take everything - or if you need to replace something get it on the mainland and ship it.

1) No way I want a bunch of strangers coming to my house off of a craigslist ad - the safety concerns alone should give anyone pause.

2) Every major US city is going to have better quality and cheaper prices

3) How creepy is it to buy let's say - a used couch. Ewwww

4) I'm not running around hoping I find something decent at a garage sale or settle for the poor quality on the islands

5) Lastly, the move is tax deductible- assuming you get a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: