Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2016, 08:01 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,606,105 times

Advertisements

Where to start. When somebody gets arrested on this island, they usually face a judge armed with a flyswatter. Almost all are charged and released immediately. Many are mentally ill and there is very little in the way of services in place for them, the county can't cope. The police here are almost all local and most perpetrators are local too and usually related to the cops either by family or hanai. They will almost always let them go. A friend of mine called the cops several time because he was constantly getting ripped off. The cop told him all the things he should do- get a dog, get a fence, install window bars, put up security cameras, he said "What about you, what will you do?" The cop said he didn't have time for small ****.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2016, 03:35 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,283,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leilaniguy View Post
Where to start. When somebody gets arrested on this island, they usually face a judge armed with a flyswatter. Almost all are charged and released immediately. Many are mentally ill and there is very little in the way of services in place for them, the county can't cope. The police here are almost all local and most perpetrators are local too and usually related to the cops either by family or hanai. They will almost always let them go. A friend of mine called the cops several time because he was constantly getting ripped off. The cop told him all the things he should do- get a dog, get a fence, install window bars, put up security cameras, he said "What about you, what will you do?" The cop said he didn't have time for small ****.
That's a shame that the courts are so lenient and ineffective. The cops need to simply do their jobs. Most of the crimes are probably being committed by a small number of people that are each a walking crime spree. If they could lock up several dozen people, they probably could make a big dent in the crime problem and the law abiding people would benefit. I think a three time loser law, where the criminal is locked up for ten years after three convictions could drastically improve life for the law abiding citizens. Perhaps the liberal attitudes have corrupted the whole justice system.

Is that kind of disrespect for the law by the criminals and unwillingness to enforce the law mainly a phenomena of the Puna district? Or, does it also occur in other places on the Big Island which have higher property values, such as Waikoloa, Waikoloa Village, Waimea, and other areas in the northern Big Island? Perhaps the criminals would be priced out of those areas, and it would be more difficult for the criminals to blend in with the population in those areas.

Old 11-28-2016, 12:49 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,269,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
Is that kind of disrespect for the law by the criminals and unwillingness to enforce the law mainly a phenomena of the Puna district? Or, does it also occur in other places on the Big Island which have higher property values, such as Waikoloa, Waikoloa Village, Waimea, and other areas in the northern Big Island? Perhaps the criminals would be priced out of those areas, and it would be more difficult for the criminals to blend in with the population in those areas.
Nope, it happens throughout the entire state. Criminals have few problems blending in with the local populace. And, as a matter of fact, some of them are running the show…

Old 11-28-2016, 07:51 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,695,713 times
Davephan, what makes you think that criminals only operate where they live? Do you not think that they would be looking for expensive homes to break into because there is the possibility of more expensive stuff? Doesn't that happen in Minnesota?

You seem to keep wondering why things are done differently here. I hope that you are never planning to move here. Or, if you do, you'll come with the least amount of stuff possible, because I see you lasting less than a year.

Old 11-28-2016, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Davephan, what makes you think that criminals only operate where they live? Do you not think that they would be looking for expensive homes to break into because there is the possibility of more expensive stuff? Doesn't that happen in Minnesota?

You seem to keep wondering why things are done differently here. I hope that you are never planning to move here. Or, if you do, you'll come with the least amount of stuff possible, because I see you lasting less than a year.
I'm not knocking my island either, just telling it like it is. I came here in 1999 from bucolic, pastoral southern Oregon where I was born, and where I got ripped off many more times than here, more times than I ever care to think about, and never got any satisfaction. It is no different here than there, just much, much nicer. This is my home, I love it here. I first came here in 1989 and have been here permanently since 1999, only been back to "America" one time. My only advice if you come here is don't have too many pretty things, then nobody will bother you. The only really big difference between here and Minnesota or anywhere is the temperature, so enjoy it or not, it's up to you.

Last edited by leilaniguy; 11-28-2016 at 11:54 PM..

Old 11-28-2016, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
Nope, it happens throughout the entire state. Criminals have few problems blending in with the local populace. And, as a matter of fact, some of them are running the show…
Shhh! Don't say anything about (Ex) Mayor Billy, you might get "rubbed out".

Old 11-29-2016, 05:03 PM

4,415 posts, read 4,933,621 times
"what makes you think that criminals only operate where they live?"

A lot of these thieves steal from their family first, when that is exhausted they move onto their neighbors. Some of them do "graduate" to stealing from other neighborhoods but most of them do not think beyond whatever they need for their next "fix". They aren't looking for something complicated, or time consuming, they just need their drugs before the withdrawal makes them feel sicker. When I lived in Portland my recyclables were stolen from our carport for the bottle/can deposit value they had. I can virtually guarantee that somebody didn't commute from a distant neighborhood to steal $7 worth of empty bottles and cans. But that $7 would buy a couple of hits off a crack pipe sold conveniently in front of the corner store that also exchanged the bottles and cans.

Old 11-29-2016, 09:07 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,695,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
"what makes you think that criminals only operate where they live?"

A lot of these thieves steal from their family first, when that is exhausted they move onto their neighbors. Some of them do "graduate" to stealing from other neighborhoods but most of them do not think beyond whatever they need for their next "fix". They aren't looking for something complicated, or time consuming, they just need their drugs before the withdrawal makes them feel sicker.
Except for the ones who come into Ka'u from Puna. In our latest rash of thefts (not all from vacant homes, either) the police told us it was people from Puna. Obviously they knew who it was, although I don't think they were ever caught.

Old 11-30-2016, 08:45 PM

4,415 posts, read 4,933,621 times
"the police told us it was people from Puna....although I don't think they were ever caught"

That is some damn fine police work. Glad I don't live in Ka'u.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island