Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 07:28 PM

38 posts, read 42,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbj03 View Post

The rep also said not all materials come in pre-cut sizes, because people may want to do certain parts differently. So there is some cutting that needs to be done on site.
I would suspect that EVERYTHING, except for roof trusses, will need to be cut.
Seriously, I think you may be better suited for Belvedere, CA. The only people that thrive on the Big Island are those that do everything for themselves and those that do nothing for themselves. Everyone in between struggles.🤔
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2016, 07:29 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,595,659 times
I second Deitra, she's handled at least three transfers for me.

Old 11-16-2016, 07:35 PM

857 posts, read 958,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howleeboy View Post
I would suspect that EVERYTHING, except for roof trusses, will need to be cut.
Seriously, I think you may be better suited for Belvedere, CA. The only people that thrive on the Big Island are those that do everything for themselves and those that do nothing for themselves. Everyone in between struggles.��
I like your humor.

Not that I can't cut wood, just that an assembly-only really really saves time/labor thus cost. Maybe I should go into this business and commoditize home building and ownership...

Last edited by rhbj03; 11-16-2016 at 07:44 PM..

Old 11-16-2016, 08:30 PM

38 posts, read 42,851 times
That's a great idea. Just don't lose the money that will fly you back to CA when you go broke.🙂

Old 02-16-2021, 04:25 PM

1 posts, read 727 times
@67cam
Wondering if you ever went through with Honsador Oneki home. I'm currently in the process of selecting a model. I've seen real estate photos of real Lauhala homes by HPM, but I'm having trouble finding any of the Oneki by Honsador. Appreciate it.

Old 02-16-2021, 05:50 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,663,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pieCharmed View Post
@67cam
Wondering if you ever went through with Honsador Oneki home. I'm currently in the process of selecting a model. I've seen real estate photos of real Lauhala homes by HPM, but I'm having trouble finding any of the Oneki by Honsador. Appreciate it.
Have you asked any of the friendly people at Honsador if they have photos?

Old 02-17-2021, 02:06 PM

189 posts, read 189,205 times
We just moved into our home a month ago. The building permit and septic permit cost us approximately $5,000. Our living area just under 1800 sq (3 BR/ 2 BA), excludes garage and two small patios. We purchased our own appliances. The total cost for the home, including sales tax, was $372,000 plus the appliances. Our subdivision is walking distance to Kea’au High School, and we’re on County water. The one-acre lot cost us $195,000. Our contractor builds high quality homes and was wonderful to deal with. He has turned down people asking him to build their homes because he is so busy. The only reason he built a home for us was because he has known my husband’s sister for many years. Spec homes being built by developers in our subdivision sell a completed home on an acre-lot in the $700,000 range. So we really got a great deal on our home. Hopefully this gives you an idea of building a brand new home in Hawaii.

We just elected a new Mayor that is planning to come down on the planning department to process building permits with deadlines. So, that is a plus now for building permits.

Old 02-17-2021, 07:21 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,895,355 times
Apologies if this is a repeat. We have an HPM home. Not because we especially wanted one, but because this was the home that met our acreage, income, location, and a few other requirements. The home is solid for a "builder grade" home (not my opinion, the opinion of the engineer we hired to inspect it).

My biggest complaint is the lack of closet / storage space. Each bedroom has one TINY closet, and there is one TINY closet off the hallway. That's it. The kitchen cupboard space is also underwhelming. With the bedrooms being so small there aren't any nooks or crannies to put shelves, big dressers, or other storage solutions. In other words, where is somebody expected to put their "stuff" without clutter everywhere?

Since we operate a farm we have a lot of "stuff" that needs to be kept in a better environment than the 20' shipping container we use for livestock feed and outdoor gear. We essentially had to turn one of the smaller bedrooms into a walk-in closet with nearly $1000 worth of closet maid and other shelving. So ask yourself, do you want a 3 bedroom house with no storage, or a similarly sized 2 bedroom house with storage solutions? These are things you can change during the design phase if you are building from scratch.

Old 02-17-2021, 07:28 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,897,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
So ask yourself, do you want a 3 bedroom house with no storage, or a similarly sized 2 bedroom house with storage solutions? These are things you can change during the design phase if you are building from scratch.
Well - you should really do neither. 2 bedroom houses don’t appreciate as well as 3 bedroom houses and I agree you want your house to have sufficient closet space.

Old 02-17-2021, 11:21 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,162,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
Apologies if this is a repeat. We have an HPM home. Not because we especially wanted one, but because this was the home that met our acreage, income, location, and a few other requirements. The home is solid for a "builder grade" home (not my opinion, the opinion of the engineer we hired to inspect it).

My biggest complaint is the lack of closet / storage space. Each bedroom has one TINY closet, and there is one TINY closet off the hallway. That's it. The kitchen cupboard space is also underwhelming. With the bedrooms being so small there aren't any nooks or crannies to put shelves, big dressers, or other storage solutions. In other words, where is somebody expected to put their "stuff" without clutter everywhere?

Since we operate a farm we have a lot of "stuff" that needs to be kept in a better environment than the 20' shipping container we use for livestock feed and outdoor gear. We essentially had to turn one of the smaller bedrooms into a walk-in closet with nearly $1000 worth of closet maid and other shelving. So ask yourself, do you want a 3 bedroom house with no storage, or a similarly sized 2 bedroom house with storage solutions? These are things you can change during the design phase if you are building from scratch.
soft.
Interesting, I wonder if the layout of your house and inadequate storage was due to the package design or builder configuration/changes?
I have an HPM home (Lauhala) and it has decent storage. My master bedroom has a decent 8'x6' walk in closet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: