Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2016, 09:19 PM

27 posts, read 41,184 times

Advertisements

I will be heading back to HI in order to purchase a couple of acres in the HOV or HOVR area. I would like to be able to grow fruit and other edible plants somewhat easily. I realize the terrain of the area and also know that the lots vary drastically. Because the elevation increases dramatically from the bottom of the Ranchos to the top of Ocean View. I'm wondering if you know if there is an elevation I should try and stay near that is best to grow vegetation? Or an area I should avoid knowing that I will want to plant. Or avoid period?
Also, while I'm at it. If you have any thoughts regarding the differences between either side of the HWY please feel free to pass that along as well. I really like both areas.

Thank you
D
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2016, 12:24 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,662,406 times
Grassy Knoll is the only poster who actually lives in HOVE. He's been successful at growing a lot of stuff at his house. He's not on the forum everyday, but he does check in.

Old 12-15-2016, 08:34 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,162,380 times
There is a surprising amount of agriculture occurring in OV. I have no growing experiences above where I currently reside (about 3 miles uphill from the highway). I am in about the bottom third of the subdivision and found it pretty easy to grow preyty much anything I tried. Lettuce, tomatoes (multiple varieties of both), potatoes, corn, peas, green beans, cabbage, bananas, pineapples, cucumbers, squash, blueberries and others I am sure I forgetting. All from seed. I didn't try any stone fruits, but my citrus seems to be doing well.
The differences in temperature as you gain elevation in OV is pretty noticeable and I sure will play some part in your growing success (or lack thereof).
Have you spent much time in OV?

Old 12-15-2016, 08:52 PM

Thank you so much for the response.
Yes I have been visited a few times, staying and checking out the area. I plan on spending a few weeks in March doing more scouting. Hopefully settling on property. I really like many parts of the area, but if I cant grow anything it will be pointless. For my personal list of expectations of property its among the top 3.

Thanks again!

Old 12-16-2016, 03:15 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,017,648 times
Raised bed gardens in HOVE would get around the lava issues, although most of the folks I know who garden and live there have drip irrigation systems to keep things watered. There isn't as much rainfall there as some other parts of the island, but if you have drip irrigation that will keep things green.

Did HOVE ever get County water in it anywhere?

Old 12-16-2016, 11:29 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,662,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Raised bed gardens in HOVE would get around the lava issues, although most of the folks I know who garden and live there have drip irrigation systems to keep things watered. There isn't as much rainfall there as some other parts of the island, but if you have drip irrigation that will keep things green.

In 2012, the first water well for public use was FINALLY opened in Ocean View after decades of fighting to get it. It is for the public to come fill up their containers, similar to the spigots at several locations in Waiohinu. I think there are also standpipes for commercial water haulers to fill up their trucks.

Old 12-16-2016, 12:32 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,162,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
In 2012, the first water well for public use was FINALLY opened in Ocean View after decades of fighting to get it. It is for the public to come fill up their containers, similar to the spigots at several locations in Waiohinu. I think there are also standpipes for commercial water haulers to fill up their trucks.
Unfortunately, they drilled too deep and the water has a high salinity level. I won't use it for watering plants.

Old 12-16-2016, 03:43 PM

206 posts, read 466,166 times
4,000 feet at the top of OV will be too cold for bananas, papayas, mangoes, figs...and many other tropical fruits and heat-loving vegetables (eggplant, okra...) unless you have a greenhouse, you'll want the lower section. Stone fruits will grow up at the top, as well as tomatoes, and many other vegetables and fruits that tolerate mildly cool weather. Also pay attention to whether your property will be fully exposed to the ferocious, drying wind (which many fruit trees don't like) or will have shelter such as already existing trees/forest/multiple buildings.

Old 12-17-2016, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaedrem View Post
4,000 feet at the top of OV will be too cold for bananas, papayas, mangoes, figs...and many other tropical fruits and heat-loving vegetables (eggplant, okra...) unless you have a greenhouse, you'll want the lower section. Stone fruits will grow up at the top, as well as tomatoes, and many other vegetables and fruits that tolerate mildly cool weather. Also pay attention to whether your property will be fully exposed to the ferocious, drying wind (which many fruit trees don't like) or will have shelter such as already existing trees/forest/multiple buildings.
Awesome! Thank you for that information, super helpful.

Old 12-17-2016, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post

I really want to stick with the catchment system with drip lines or some sort of hydroponic system. Probably both. As off grid as I can possibly be, at least for starters. I've been researching typical island raised beds utilizing lava rock. Thank you for your help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island