Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2017, 03:34 AM

6 posts, read 8,445 times

Advertisements

We are shipping a 40-foot container nere February 17th 2017 from Salem Oregon to Hawaiian Ocean View Estates on the big island. We will probably use 2/3rds the container. Do you have any ideas on items we could fill with the extra space to resell here in order to recoup some of our shipping cost. Or we are looking for someone to purchase the rest of the space from us. If we share the cost equally should cost you around $1,425
plus whatever Trucking cost you if you want to have it delivered to your loading and unloading locations. It's 40 feet for $5,700 so each foot is $142.5 X 10feet would =$1,425.

The Shipping container may ship out of Rainier or Seattle. It may ship to Hilo or Kona. Either the way costs about the same for us. What originating and destination port would benefit you? If I can't find anyone to share I may be filling the extra space with a highly valued item that I could resell here on the big island. Anyone have ideas on what that item should be? Please give me a call and leave a voicemail if I don't answer. 8o8 PhIve57-9058
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2017, 12:25 PM

101 posts, read 138,459 times
So you're looking to try and bring something here to obviously up-charge people on and ask for help on what that might be?
I say that you will up-charge because there is no way to re-coup loot without doing so.
Let me be the first to tell you, go pound sand!

Old 01-21-2017, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HonaunauLove View Post
So you're looking to try and bring something here to obviously up-charge people on and ask for help on what that might be?
I say that you will up-charge because there is no way to re-coup loot without doing so.
Let me be the first to tell you, go pound sand!
You go pound sand a******. Why don't you go bust down Walmart doors I know you shop there. You shop anywhere? I bet you do. You think they're selling your stuff with no profit. They're not. Chemtainer sells the same water tank for $3,200 that you can get through me for a thousand less. I'm trying to help people and you're jumping to conclusions. We were thinking of going with a 20-foot container which is about the same cost as a 40-foot. May as well go with a 40-foot and give people an opportunity to get something over here that they couldn't otherwise have afforded. Even if their paying my cost for their space in the container it still saves me money because that space would have otherwise gone wasted.
I'm not trying to take advantage of anyone. I'm only trying to save money. Not trying to profit. I'm just asking you to pay for the space you use. And you'd be paying half per cubic foot of what you'd have to pay if you shipped your own 20 foot. I suggest you learn how to read, learn how to comprehend, take a few math classes and go back to school or ask a trusted friend to read my post for you before you jump to conclusions and post telling me to pound sand.
You can go back to pounding sand with your friend and leave me the hell alone

Old 01-22-2017, 11:47 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,231,200 times
Might try accepting online orders from people. Ikea and many other stores wont ship to HI, maybe an ad on craiglist offering to bring prepaid items over.

Old 05-03-2017, 11:08 AM

2 posts, read 2,163 times
Default shipping company

Hi TravisSand,
I know you posted some time ago but wondered if you could please tell me what shipping container company you used as that price seems much lower than other prices I've seen for that size container.
Thank you!

Old 05-05-2017, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowpowz View Post
Hi TravisSand,
I know you posted some time ago but wondered if you could please tell me what shipping container company you used as that price seems much lower than other prices I've seen for that size container.
Thank you!

Sause Brothers

503-222-1811

20-foot container $3,818
24 foot container $4,265
40-foot container $5,140

$500 less if we are using our own container.
Plus taxes and other unknown fees ended up bringing the total up to original quote

That is from the port In Rainier on the Columbia River to Hilo. No Trucking included

Their containers are wider than normal and they are all hi cubes. So the inside with is 102 inches in the Heights is a foot higher .

He said Ram Trucking brings them a lot of containers. And con Global container sales 503-265-4106 is a good place to buy containers.

Old 05-05-2017, 12:46 PM

Compared them to Matson in Seattle:

Prices went up in January. Probably an extra 100 bucks I'm guessing. Matson ships out of Seattle so the trucking cost of $1,218 it's kind of large because they have to bring it all the wayfrom Salem OR to Seattle WA.

$1,219 of that matson cost is for Trucking the container to Salem to drop it off and then coming back later to pick it up. You can save $300 by loading it the first time they show up they'll give you two hours.

It only cost an extra $600 for the 40-foot container compared to the 20-foot we originally intended on.

$5,510 for the 20ft.
$6,182 for the 40ft.
$6,800 for the 45ft.

It only cost an extra $1,200 for the 45 foot container which is also a foot higher. The 45 foot container outside dimensions are 8 feet wide 9 feet 6 inches tall by 45 feet long.
Con Global container sales was extremely hard to get a hold of. ... 503-283-2573.

Old 05-05-2017, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowpowz View Post
Hi TravisSand,
Thank you!

Sause Brothers

503-222-1811

20-foot container $3,818
24 foot container $4,265
40-foot container $5,140

$500 less if we are using our own container.
Plus taxes and other unknown fees ended up bringing the total up to original quote

That is from the port In Rainier on the Columbia River to Hilo. No Trucking included

Their containers are wider than normal and they are all hi cubes. So the inside with is 102 inches in the Heights is a foot higher .

He said Ram Trucking brings them a lot of containers. And con Global container sales 503-265-4106 is a good place to buy containers.

Old 05-05-2017, 12:52 PM

Update May 2017 : thank you for everyone that replied and helped make this happen. The container is now on its way . One downside to choosing the cheaper shipper is they ship less frequently and we have to wait a few weeks before the barge leaves the port . We had a truck put the container on the ground and we loaded it for months. Then we had a big truck come with a side lift that lifted the 25000 pound fully loaded but nowhere near its max weight capacity. They trucked it up to Rainier Washington and qe will be picking it up in three weeks in Hilo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: