Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 11:56 PM

308 posts, read 412,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
There's a new Asian fusion restaurant in Honokaa and loads of little shops and boutiques along main street there. Picture ops at Waipio overlook, too.

If you're in Hilo, the zoo is a nice place. It's small but good for couple hour visit. It's about half botanical garden. Plus it's free, what's not to like about that?
Thanks for the suggestions. We'll look for that Asian fusion restaurant when we visit the area. We love Waipio Valley, and will undoubtedly check it out again a couple of times, this year. Ditto with the zoo. The place fascinates me, and I can't decide if I like the flora or fauna better! Even the wild critters that hang out there make me smile. The first time I ever saw a Cardinal bird was there :-).

Now it's off to bed, as we have to be up in about 4 hours. Given a decent internet connection, somewhere, we'll keep checking this thread for suggestions :-).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2017, 05:30 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,112,534 times
Events calendar for the Honokaa People's Theater: http://honokaapeople.com/events.html It's only $6 to see a movie there and the popcorn is reasonably priced, too! Fresh made at the theater, too.

Old 02-07-2017, 09:58 PM

38 posts, read 43,220 times
Dr. Keeny proudly told us that his popcorn was now organic the last time we were there.
I gotta say though, his old popcorn was better.��
Still love the theater!

Old 02-08-2017, 11:57 AM

941 posts, read 1,972,777 times
I don't want to derail this thread, but whoever brought up malasadas already did. Everyone knows the best malasadas are at the Punahou carnival, but that was last weekend on Oahu. The next best malasadas are at the little shack in front of Kmart in Lihue, but that's on Kauai, and aunty retired last year. So if you find the good dense kind of malasadas on the big island, let us know.

More seriously, have you been to the warm pools down on the Puna Coast? Just looked it up and it's called Ahalanui. We also liked the kipuka (isolated forest) on the saddle road near the Mauna Kea turnoff.

Old 02-08-2017, 01:08 PM

130 posts, read 153,740 times
Grab a box lunch from Cousin's at Kilauea and Lanikaula in Hilo and go to Queen Liliuokalani Gardens or Moku Ola for a picnic. Also consider Richardson's Beach park or one of the other beach parks in Hilo. Good places for picnics but not much in the way of sand on the beaches.

Old 02-08-2017, 07:04 PM

268 posts, read 385,431 times
Our hotel was near Queen Liliuokalani gardens and we visited often. It's beautiful. I'm not one for laying about on sandy beaches getting fried by the sun, so the lack of Kona style beaches on the East side wasn't an issue. With the OPs criteria it doesn't sound like that would be high on the list either. I think the beach parks, such as Richardson's, are fantastic. Postcard beautiful and plenty of photo ops.

We went to most of them and found Onekahakaha to be our favorite. One day we had family come over from Kona and we had a picnic in one of the pavilions. My uncle was in a motorized wheelchair and was able to navigate the whole park because of paved trails and ramps. We went swimming and it was fantastic. I can't remember feeling more relaxed in along time after that swim. There is a breakwater and the effect is like a giant, calm swimming pool. Lifeguard on duty, ramps and stairs into the water, showers, sandy bottom and at 6 feet I was able to stand up in most of it. The picture shows some of the park in the background.

This may be something the OP would enjoy doing if bad knees are a concern.
Attached Thumbnails
Tomorrow, Tomorrow, I Love Ya, Tomorrow...-img_8038.jpg  

Last edited by 67Cam; 02-08-2017 at 07:18 PM..

Old 02-09-2017, 10:39 AM

293 posts, read 363,312 times
A suggestion. ANY time you rent a car, before you leave their lot, and hopefully, while they are watching go around the car and take pics of it everywhere. Especially noting any damage. The day you return it, do the same thing again. This time, get the daily paper and hold it up in at least one or two pics to show the day. Again, show all damage.

Doing this, will stop them from later filing a claim on some bogus damage. Again, let them see you taking pics when you return it. If they ask, just tell them that you are keeping records of any damage before and after your rental. I do this all the time and never had a thing happen. I learned this from a travel site years ago when a lot of it was going on. Good luck.

Last edited by TGPILOT; 02-09-2017 at 10:49 AM..

Old 03-21-2017, 10:12 AM

65 posts, read 68,086 times
Sort of frustrating how tourists come to this forum, post a few times asking advice, then bail until their next trip comes up. This isn't directed at Irish either, she's a nice lady after all, it's just it sorta bothers me when tourists as a group use this forum and then leave six different responses dangling. Like, for example, TGPilot's post is super useful, that right there is information everyone should have, or 67Cam's post is not only pretty much just what I would personally look for in a travel-orientated advice thread, but Cam also gives a personal anecdote of their uncles disability so as to cater to the OP.

That kind of input is valuable, it has worth, and it should be acknowledged, and not doing so seems, well, ungrateful.

Last edited by glassnumbers; 03-21-2017 at 10:21 AM..

Old 03-22-2017, 07:38 AM

10,659 posts, read 7,880,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glassnumbers View Post

That kind of input is valuable, it has worth, and it should be acknowledged, and not doing so seems, well, ungrateful.
That's what the reputation click is for. You can also leave a msg for the poster along with your praise. And, no one else can see that it's been done. So, impossible to tell if the poster has been acknowledged in this way or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island