Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2017, 06:58 AM

3 posts, read 2,816 times

Advertisements

Just about to be an RN and looking to move after a few years experience. What is the status? I see there are a lot of openings, but are they accurate? Would like some advice from those who work on the Big island as a nurse, have moved as a nurse or know it well. Yes I have done my research on it, know the hospitals, been to BI multiple times. Mahalo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2017, 03:52 PM

10,909 posts, read 7,406,054 times
I'm not a nurse, but I've heard that the hospitals hire mostly short-term to avoid paying benefits. That works for folks who want to come for a few months, maybe not so well if you want to stay. But it would give you a chance to see if this is the place for you. Living here is very different from visiting.

Old 04-30-2017, 09:54 AM

3 posts, read 2,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I'm not a nurse, but I've heard that the hospitals hire mostly short-term to avoid paying benefits. That works for folks who want to come for a few months, maybe not so well if you want to stay. But it would give you a chance to see if this is the place for you. Living here is very different from visiting.
Yes I understand that, we live like the locals when we come, in fact have befriended some too. This is why we go, because we want to live like this and not the fast fancy life of the mainland. Hell, if I wasnt so concerned about my family, Id choose to live in hove, and off grid.

Old 04-30-2017, 12:17 PM

85 posts, read 99,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketbess8629 View Post
Yes I understand that, we live like the locals when we come, in fact have befriended some too. This is why we go, because we want to live like this and not the fast fancy life of the mainland. Hell, if I wasnt so concerned about my family, Id choose to live in hove, and off grid.
Off grid can be done just about anywhere.
And HOVE aint so bad, depending on where you are in there. Just that there isn't all that much "nursing" jobs going on this far south. Most people who live here either have their own money, or no money at all.

I have met a few transplants that work up in Waimea at the hospital in nursing, been there for years and love it. Their lifestyle alludes to them either making pretty decent money, or being in debt up to their eyeballs... hard to tell.

Old 05-06-2017, 08:39 PM

4,416 posts, read 4,913,377 times
You will have no problem getting a job anywhere in the state. Many of the nurses on the BI are imported from other states. They get travel paid for and housing reimbursed. If you look online you can find the companies that send their nurses here and potentially get your trip paid for.

We sold a car to a nurse who agreed to work here for four months. She worked for this place: https://www.nursesrx.com/

I'm not endorsing that company in any way. I know nothing about them other than what is stated above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island