Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 11:43 PM

268 posts, read 383,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palanakonu View Post
Strangely enough I have noticed two women on that board who do that, KK and SG??
I thought I was just imagining things when I would read their stuff.
You're not imagining it. They are well known on another forum and have been called out directly for outright lies. They have no power in that forum and that's where I learned about them: they couldn't silence anyone there. I briefly considered contacting the Hilton Naniloa management and alerting them to the poster of misinformation and lies, but I didn't have any concrete proof...

Anyway, sorry to take this thread off topic. We loved Hilo for its greenery, friendly people, the sights and yes, the weather. Tropical rainforest over dry arid is our preference, but it's not everyone's. We spent time in Kona, visited Queen Hulihe'e palace, a historic church across the road from the palace and a few other areas but it was just to... touristy and packaged for us. Again, just what we prefer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2017, 09:30 AM

10,558 posts, read 7,758,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glassnumbers View Post
Hawai'i doesn't really get "hurricanes" per se, they hit the cold air around Hawai'i and it has a tendency to downgrade them to tropical storms. With that said, the official "hurricane season" is June to September. However, there hasn't been ever been one hurricane, in this area, for June. They usually happen around August, if I recall correctly.
It's the cooler water surrounding Hawaii, and typical air pressure patterns, that usually disrupt these storms.

That said, failure of these patterns has allowed tropical storms to strike the islands.

And for whatever reason, the eastern Pacific has seen a whole slug of storms over the past few years. More than have formed in the Atlantic, I believe.

Dunno what the water temperature trend is in the central pacific, but if it is rising then this could be bad news for Hawaii. Warm water is hurricane fuel.

Old 06-13-2017, 01:10 PM

69 posts, read 115,974 times
Does anyone know if ridesharing operates in Hilo? Don't want to rent a car.

Old 06-13-2017, 03:05 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityflower View Post
Does anyone know if ridesharing operates in Hilo? Don't want to rent a car.
Uber and Lyft are available. They can drop off at airport but not pickup.

Old 06-13-2017, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Uber and Lyft are available. They can drop off at airport but not pickup.
No picking up??? Bummer. But ride sharing has a lot of hate that causes uneccesary laws and restrictions in some cities so I'm not surprised.

Old 06-13-2017, 03:34 PM

Well since most of the hotels are near the airport anyway I guess it's not that bad to take a regular cab.

Old 06-19-2017, 06:35 AM

4 posts, read 3,192 times
Why Hilo? You are going to Hawaii and there are so many other locales known for their natural beauty.

Old 06-19-2017, 01:18 PM

130 posts, read 152,714 times
I strongly recommend renting a car if you stay anywhere on the Big Island. It's the only way to see many of the sites worth visiting on the Island.

Old 06-19-2017, 03:31 PM

85 posts, read 99,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonicaE View Post
Why Hilo? You are going to Hawaii and there are so many other locales known for their natural beauty.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
I personally find the Hilo districts to be quite naturally beautiful.
Much more so than the vast brown dryness of North Kona and South Kohala.
It's all about personal preference.

Old 06-26-2017, 02:38 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
Why not Hilo? It's a lovely town even with the rain. Much more old Hawaii than Honolulu anymore. It doesn't have the huge white sand beaches like the Kohala coast, but it's got everything else. Well, no big tall skyscrapers and crazy traffic like Honolulu.

It's got big green parks, lots of little old style shops, a nice rainforest zoo, scenic waterfalls, lovely walking gardens, insane trees, and it's slow and sleepy and comfortable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island