Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 02:31 AM

1 posts, read 940 times

Advertisements

Aloha,

I am wondering if anyone knows if the bus system is going to advance as in getting to people, for example, the waikoloa village area, etc as well as easier to understand schedules themselves. I noticed maui has color coded schedules and somehow merged with google maps {i believe} so one can just enter an address and lor and behold, just like magic, exact locations and times pop up..

My question really boils down to if anyone knows of an upcoming revamping of hele-on on big island. Seems to be a huge necessity along with covered bus stops.

I read somewhere, granted i could have read it wrong, that, hele-on was granted 500,000.00 to improve the situation.

Mahalo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2017, 07:25 AM

5,531 posts, read 12,717,202 times
I seriously doubt that any major (or minor) improvements are going to happen soon. I read a recent article in West Hawaii Today that 25 of Hele On's 55 buses are out of commission because they need major repairs. But then the article went on to say that the county is paying $500,000 for a consultant to create a new master route plan. Seems like they should have spent that $500,000 on fixing buses first! Oh, and if the new route plan works like everything else on the island, it will sit on the shelf for ten years.

Last edited by Dreaming of Hawaii; 06-14-2017 at 07:33 AM..

Old 06-14-2017, 10:08 AM

12,120 posts, read 18,005,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigon View Post
Seems to be a huge necessity along with covered bus stops.
When Oahu gets covered bus stops you'll get yours 10 years later (hint: it won't happen)

Waiting for a bus in heat and humidity and rain is a way of life here.

Old 06-14-2017, 11:15 AM

2,624 posts, read 7,278,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigon View Post
Aloha,

I am wondering if anyone knows if the bus system is going to advance as in getting to people, for example, the waikoloa village area, etc as well as easier to understand schedules themselves. I noticed maui has color coded schedules and somehow merged with google maps {i believe} so one can just enter an address and lor and behold, just like magic, exact locations and times pop up..

My question really boils down to if anyone knows of an upcoming revamping of hele-on on big island. Seems to be a huge necessity along with covered bus stops.

I read somewhere, granted i could have read it wrong, that, hele-on was granted 500,000.00 to improve the situation.

Mahalo
Sadly, the rail system in Honolulu will probably be fully finished and operational before any noticeable improvements are made to the Hele-On bus system in Kona.
Bus woes escalate: Almost half the Hele-On bus fleet broken down | West Hawaii Today

Old 06-14-2017, 11:36 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,120,678 times
Well, it's a small enough island that you'd be able to ask your council person if you can build a covered bus stop built at your favored location. Run a 'go fund me' account to see if you can get other folks interested in donating and then build a covered bus shelter at your stop.

They have built some on the windward side of the island - probably because of the increased amount of rain on that side. The bus stops all seem built to a very similar if not exactly same design. There's probably a stock set of plans or a standard way to build one.

Once you get yours built, let the newspaper know that it happened and how it happened and then perhaps other folks will do the same.

It's more work on your part, but it's a much more direct and likely to get done route.

Old 06-14-2017, 12:39 PM

941 posts, read 1,973,521 times
Love that attitude, hotzcatz. I saw exactly that bus shelter building scenario play out in Anahola (majority Hawaiian home lands) here on Kauai. There were also funky homemade benches at many bus stops. I gotta say that this ability to do things together and get things done is a neat part of living on the neighbor islands.

BTW, I think the Kauai Bus got a similar grant, because now I've seen several real bus shelters being built around the island. Things happen slowly, but they happen.

Old 06-14-2017, 08:06 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,176,097 times
Helen On is a joke. I Can'tell begin to tell you how many times I have passed their busses broken down on the side of the road. I truly sympathize with anyone counting on this system to get to and from work.

Old 06-14-2017, 09:51 PM

But it's the only joke in town, so we need to do what we can to help them along. Building the bus stops lets them have more $$$ to take care of the buses. At least we have them, there didn't used to be any buses at all before.

Wish we still had the trains, though. They used to go from Pahoa to Hilo and on out the coast to Pauuilo. A rail from Hilo to Pahoa might be able to be built again, doubt they could do the rail down the Hamakua coast again, though.

Old 06-15-2017, 09:30 AM

2,624 posts, read 7,278,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
But it's the only joke in town, so we need to do what we can to help them along. Building the bus stops lets them have more $$$ to take care of the buses. At least we have them, there didn't used to be any buses at all before.
On the bright side, Mayor Kim is making an effort to fix the bus system.
Administrator steps down, trouble-shooter hired to fix bus system | West Hawaii Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Wish we still had the trains, though. They used to go from Pahoa to Hilo and on out the coast to Pauuilo. A rail from Hilo to Pahoa might be able to be built again, doubt they could do the rail down the Hamakua coast again, though.
Sadly, it's somewhat unlikely that a rail system from Hilo to Pāhoa will ever be built again, since the old Hawaii Consolidated Railway was never really profitable.

Old 06-15-2017, 10:45 PM

The article said it was profitable and then they made an agreement about helping build Hilo's breakwater and had to build the line out to Pauuilo as part of the deal and that's what took up all their capitol and then some. It about to become profitable and pay off the extensive costs for building the line to Pauuilo, but then there was the tsunami which took it out and destroyed most of the bridges they'd built on the Hamakua coast. I think they lost several if not most of their engines, too.

Just running the line from Hilo to Pahoa should be profitable if the land costs wouldn't be terribly expensive. They may still even have the old rail line roadbed (railbed?) still there. Of course, that's assuming lava didn't eat the rails.

Hmm, they mentioned an old train turn around station in Hilo over by where Del's is and the swim stadium. I never knew it was still there, wonder why it's not made into a museum? It's kinda behind some warehouses.

My neighbor used to come tell me about small kid time when he rode the train from Pauuilo to Hilo for school since the only high school was in Hilo. When he didn't do well in school, he'd be sure to miss the train and stay in town with his auntie who wouldn't scold him for his schoolwork. The whole Hamakua coast rail line was just about either going over a bridge or through a tunnel. Right along the ocean, it was just an amazing ride is how he described it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island