Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 03:23 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,022,266 times

Advertisements

We hit print and that works for our safety inspection folks. But, maybe it's required at other places? You could call and ask one of the inspection stations on your list what their requirements are. They may require a plate lunch along with the paperwork or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2017, 06:16 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,898,602 times
It may work for a safety inspection, it may not work for the "DMV", a cop, or a judge.

Old 07-09-2017, 09:03 PM

Department of Motor Vehicles doesn't look at the insurance card, just the inspection folks do. Cops just want to make sure you have it, with the name of the company and the number it's easy enough to make sure it's a valid account. But, maybe this only works on Hawaii Island, maybe the other ones are different.

Old 07-09-2017, 11:19 PM

10,552 posts, read 7,747,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
It may work for a safety inspection, it may not work for the "DMV", a cop, or a judge.
That's right. Gotta have the "watermark", which you cannot get from your home printer.

Old 07-10-2017, 12:44 AM

2,081 posts, read 5,595,945 times
Hmm, I've been printing insurance cards for about 10 years now, didn't know I was breaking another law.

Old 07-10-2017, 08:08 AM

10,552 posts, read 7,747,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leilaniguy View Post
Hmm, I've been printing insurance cards for about 10 years now, didn't know I was breaking another law.
As I recall, a cop informed of this once. But you know, maybe things have changed recently.

For instance, just discovered you can use smartphone for proof of insurance.
Hawaii Governor Signs Smartphone Proof of Insurance Bill

Old 07-10-2017, 10:22 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,901,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
As I recall, a cop informed of this once. But you know, maybe things have changed recently.

For instance, just discovered you can use smartphone for proof of insurance.
Hawaii Governor Signs Smartphone Proof of Insurance Bill
And the bill makes no mention of a watermark for the physical card.

Old 07-10-2017, 10:54 AM

52 posts, read 46,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
We hit print and that works for our safety inspection folks. But, maybe it's required at other places? You could call and ask one of the inspection stations on your list what their requirements are. They may require a plate lunch along with the paperwork or something.

If just printing out the card works for your inspection place, then cool... Would you mind sharing the name of the shop & that's where I'll take my cars?

Thanks!!

Old 07-11-2017, 03:19 AM

Well, it's not near Hilo, but the guy across from Donna's Cookies along the Hamakua Coast will inspect cars without an appointment. Kainehe Service Station, I think is their official name. They're just off the highway in an old building there.
You can see them from the road.

There's another one up in the back of Lakeland in Waimea, but you gotta call to see if they're in.

All the inspection stations we've ever dealt with will take printed out on a home printer insurance cards, we've never had one not take it. They write down the insurance company name and number and then they're all good with it.

When you pick up your car at the port, ask the folks there which inspection place they'd suggest. It'll be a lot closer.

There is something about insurance policies that work in Hawaii and those that don't, when chatting with your insurance folks, make sure they know the car will be in Hawaii. Whatever paper it's printed on doesn't really matter, but which policy it is may matter.

It's generally not a very difficult thing if the car is in reasonable shape. That means the headlights work, the turn signals work, the doors close and there isn't dark tint on the windshield. Lately, though, they've been starting and driving the cars to test the brakes, I think. Either that or they just wanted to drive the car, it was Rosie and she's a '52 MGTD.

Old 07-11-2017, 09:34 AM

52 posts, read 46,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Either that or they just wanted to drive the car, it was Rosie and she's a '52 MGTD.
If I were doing the inspection I think I'd make something up to take that car for a spin too!

I'll have my two cars in Hilo approximately the first & second week of August and looking to get them inspected. Thanks for the advise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: