Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 11:35 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times

Advertisements

Why does it matter what a car looks like? Most of them all pretty much look alike except for the color. I call them 'refrigerator' cars since you're just about as likely to know the make and model of them as you are a refrigerator until you get close enough to read their labels. Folks don't really care much about what you drive around here.

There's diesel pretty much everywhere. My holoholo friend (we share rides a lot when going to Hilo or Kailua-Kona) has a little diesel VW TDI or some such thing that gets really good gas mileage.

I know what you mean about the older Honda Civics and Accords. We had one that would routinely get 38 - 40 mpg no matter what we were doing with it. Put a trailer hitch on it and even hauling a trailer it still got 38+ mpg. Shoulda kept that one longer, but swapped it for a 4WD truck so we could go more places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2017, 11:48 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
One has to be prepared for the sticker shock of diesel in Hawaii, regular unleaded in running roughly $3.00/gallon and diesel routinely runs $4.00/gallon as of July 2017

Old 07-11-2017, 02:48 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadrid View Post
I currently drive a diesel which gets 50 miles to the gallon and before that I had a Honda Civic, not a hybrid, just a plain old internal combustion engine that got 40 miles to the gallon. So I am unimpressed with hybrid EPA numbers in the 40's.
To be fair, you can't compare a Honda Civic to a Lexus ES300 hybrid. And I'm not talking about brand preferences, etc. I think getting 40mpg is fairly remarkable for such a large and heavy automobile.

The Lexus ES300h is a large sedan, and comfortably holds 5 people - and I by comfortable, when the front seats are all the way back, you still have plenty of room in the back. And before we debate the "why would anyone get such a large car" - you could be carting around clients or family (like my wife does) and a Honda Civic is would be a tight fit in the backseat for an elderly robust man.

Old 07-11-2017, 07:25 PM

189 posts, read 260,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Why does it matter what a car looks like? Most of them all pretty much look alike except for the color. I call them 'refrigerator' cars since you're just about as likely to know the make and model of them as you are a refrigerator until you get close enough to read their labels. Folks don't really care much about what you drive around here.
Yes, i know they don't care but i do care what i drive. I'm still young enough to want a fast acceleration but also old enough to want an economical and practical car.
Anyway, looks like OP is looking for a prius. You will have to install solar if you really want to take advantage of electrics in Hawaii. Good thing is solar will help you in the long run with or without an electric car. I save about 1k in fuel cost per year in addition to the electricity savings...the most fool proof investment in history but people tend to hate math so they miss it.

Old 07-14-2017, 01:57 PM

189 posts, read 260,696 times
I just realized why op asked about evs....a brand new Nissan Leaf in HI will cost you about $12k!

“Customers should take their electric utility bill and the promotional flyer available at hawaiianelectric.com/nissanleaf to any participating Nissan dealer on Oahu, Maui or Hawaii Island to receive $10,000 off the sticker price of a new 2017 LEAF S, SV, or SL, while supplies last. With potential federal tax incentives, savings could total $17,500.”

Old 07-17-2017, 10:09 AM

181 posts, read 175,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark.ca View Post
Yes, i know they don't care but i do care what i drive. I'm still young enough to want a fast acceleration but also old enough to want an economical and practical car.
Anyway, looks like OP is looking for a prius. You will have to install solar if you really want to take advantage of electrics in Hawaii. Good thing is solar will help you in the long run with or without an electric car. I save about 1k in fuel cost per year in addition to the electricity savings...the most fool proof investment in history but people tend to hate math so they miss it.
No I'm not looking for a Prius. I absolutely will not drive a Prius as for what the car looks like absolutely it matters. Regular unleaded gas is cheaper on the big Island than it is in Southern California Diesel is significantly more. Right now I pay about $2.67 a gallon for diesel. Regular unleaded runs about a little bit more than three dollars a gallon. The other car I have takes premium unleaded. We currently have that car for sale. I'm just not going to bring a BMW over to the big Island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: