Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 10:38 PM

354 posts, read 386,166 times

Advertisements

TL;DR if you have family off island, how often do you travel to them & how do you make it work??

Ok we are getting ready to move in the next year or so.... (ive been around the boards for a while so update-
originally we were supposed to move NOW but then I decided to go back to work and postpone move until after I had some more cash, and after the wedding, since boyfriend proposed a few months before our anticipated move, yay!)

And things have gotten REAL! I am overcome with nervousness about making the wrong decision and locking myself into a place that is sooooo far from east coast mainland where my family lives. (I know it doesn't have to be forever, but once you make the move it can be hard to recover from that after you've sold off your whole life and settled into a new one on an island....so trying to think of it as "forever")

I have been trying to come up with something that is a win win for all involved.... maybe seeing family 2-3x a year is perfect, and in that case- that is probably feasible.

But I am worried that it will be harder than I think....flights are like $1000+ and takes a full 16 hours or so.... we have to get someone to watch the house and the dogs....we have to have a job that gives us vacation and can get the time off while not also using up all our vacation time since I would love to take an actual VACATION!!!.....and then there is the hassle of travel.

How often do you travel? Is it common to just become a jet setter more often as part of the island life??? It's just fact, you're in the middle of nowhere, so you sacrifice a bit and make the trips to the Mainland?

I understand many can't afford it. And I am concerned about that as well, but would likely cut back or do a side job to be able to fund that type of travel.

Curious as to what is the "norm" for those that have family back on the mainland or....5000 miles away in another direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2017, 12:12 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,060,220 times
Two or three times a year isn't likely to happen. More like maybe once a year and maybe miss a year here or there. Or just one person goes and the other stays, depending on who's seeing which family, sometimes it's easier.

Last January we had to go to the East coast for a relatives' 90th birthday party. Sucked to use up travel funds to go to the East coast during the winter. Urgh! That pretty much wiped out our travel funds for awhile so when one of our close childhood friends died several weeks ago, only one of us is off island going to the memorial. I didn't know the person all that well, so my SO is off to the memorial while I'm here holding down the fort.

We have several credit cards that give us travel miles. We have the Alaskan air card which gives us a 'companion' fare once a year. But it's still expensive since we also usually have to rent a car when we get there.

Sometimes I'll go along with a friend to help her travel since she's older as well as short. She can't reach the overhead bins on the airlines so I'll be luggage wrangler for her and she uses one of her companion fares for my fare. I pay for it since I have relatives near her relatives, so we'll travel together and then spend time with our own relatives while we're there. She doesn't like to do the journey all in one long trip, so we will overnight somewhere on the West coast and then continue on to the East coast the next day. On the way back, sometimes we will overnight sometimes we will come on back without an overnight stop. It seems easier traveling this way than the other. I suspect that may also be why folks really like Hawaii. They feel miserable when they leave, but some of that may be because they're fighting the time zone differences.

Hopefully your family will come visit you here, too, so you'll be able to visit without having to fly. But don't be surprised at how few of them actually show up. I guess the folks on the mainland aren't used to spending the same amount we are when it comes to travel.

Old 08-05-2017, 10:24 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,938,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by divagotstyle07 View Post

And things have gotten REAL! I am overcome with nervousness about making the wrong decision and locking myself into a place that is sooooo far from east coast mainland where my family lives.

I have been trying to come up with something that is a win win for all involved.... maybe seeing family 2-3x a year is perfect, and in that case- that is probably feasible.

But I am worried that it will be harder than I think....flights are like $1000+ and takes a full 16 hours or so....
Jeez. What a train wreck of a story. Nervous already? It's going to get much worse. Travel 2-3 times a year to the east coast not work related? Come on, you are in huge denial. But, it costs nothing to be a dreamer.

Old 08-05-2017, 01:10 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,685,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by divagotstyle07 View Post

But I am worried that it will be harder than I think....flights are like $1000+ and takes a full 16 hours or so.... we have to get someone to watch the house and the dogs....we have to have a job that gives us vacation and can get the time off while not also using up all our vacation time since I would love to take an actual VACATION!!!.....and then there is the hassle of travel.
It looks like you've summed it up pretty well. You need to ask yourself how many times you can afford to pay for airfare and have the time off. If you think that will miss your family and need to visit more than once a year, then you need to be able to afford it. Otherwise, you may not be happy living so far away.

We travel to the mainland once a year. We use the time to see children and grandchildren, visit our doctors, and do road trips. Luckily we have a friend's car that we use for a minimal cost. We are retired, so we can spend more time there. We have a house sitter come stay with the dog (we found someone to do it for free), but that too is a hassle getting it set up. I can't imagine going through all the trouble to do this more than once a year!

Old 08-11-2017, 12:12 AM

Thanks to all for your responses. Hotzcatz thanks for the tip about the Alaska airlines card. I have mine now and definitely plan to make it work for me!!!

It can be done. Everything is a trade off, but I will prioritize what is important to me, and try to make it the most economical way too!!!

Old 08-11-2017, 01:13 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,060,220 times
Certain times of the year there's a direct flight from Kailua-Kona to California, that may come in handy. If you can catch a direct flight to the mainland, I think it's only about five or six hours of flight time. If you have to get to the East Coast, well, then it can take a full day since that's usually multiple flights.

Old 08-11-2017, 05:35 AM

1,708 posts, read 1,147,942 times
Two times to Mainland and two times to Asia in average per year. In fact, I just flew back from JFK this morning. 10 hour 20 minutes. Not too bad if you have an aisle seat and two meals and Hawaiian music which Hawaiian Airline provides.

Unless you fly during X'mas, usually round trip ticket to Mainland costs less than $1,000. Flying to Asia is even cheaper. For the same distance, the fare costs about $600.

Old 08-11-2017, 08:41 PM

4,416 posts, read 4,922,170 times
"Jeez. What a train wreck of a story. Nervous already? It's going to get much worse. Travel 2-3 times a year to the east coast not work related? Come on, you are in huge denial. But, it costs nothing to be a dreamer."

Agree with the first few sentences.

In over 5 years, we've never gone to the mainland to visit family. Though many have come to visit us many times. If you are retired and wealthy, maybe 2-3 times a year is doable. Otherwise you will be overcome by expenses, time constraints, and competing priorities.

Old 08-12-2017, 10:45 PM

I guess it depends what your priorities are. For me, I can't see any good reason NOT TO fly back 1-2x a year. It doesn't seem too big of a burden financially or time wise- out of anything, the time spent is probably the biggest factor since you only get so much time off work!!

Thanks for some good news about the flights being more affordable and ways to make it work!

Old 08-12-2017, 11:22 PM

4,646 posts, read 3,023,632 times
Default Fwiw

Hawaiian Airlines has nonstop flights from Honolulu to NY...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island