Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 10:34 AM

18 posts, read 72,213 times

Advertisements

Hello All,
I have been following this forum for months now, and I love it!
Thank you for being so kind, informative and responsive!

We are moving to Hawaii in 2 months and we are starting to pack and downsize.
I was just wondering knowing what you know now,
What you would have brought with you from the Mainland that is expensive or difficult to replace in Hawaii.
I would love to know everything from Sunscreen to Pool Toys to Laundry Detergent to business attire and shipping your car!
Just what do you wish you had taken with you that you didn't take, or what did you take that you were glad that you brought with you.
We are moving to the Big Island, so I know the resources there are even less than Oahu.
So ANY thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
-Kai
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2012, 11:01 AM

1,046 posts, read 4,895,455 times
I think it really depends upon what your habits are and what you are most particular about. For us it was cooking gear, dishes (practical but multipurpose), workshop tools, and books. You can get "almost anything" here on Maui, but even on Oahu you won't have as many brands or models to choose from, and getting something specific shipped is often expensive.

Best of luck.

Old 03-03-2012, 12:21 PM

431 posts, read 939,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot? View Post
I think it really depends upon what your habits are and what you are most particular about. For us it was cooking gear, dishes (practical but multipurpose), workshop tools, and books. You can get "almost anything" here on Maui, but even on Oahu you won't have as many brands or models to choose from, and getting something specific shipped is often expensive.

Best of luck.
Exactly.
We brought books, tools, and of course clothes. Some cooking gadgets and small appliances that I loved and that wouldn't cost more to ship than to replace. Bought dishes, silverware, and cookware when we got here.
Brought way too much cold-weather clothing (thinking oh what would happen if we had to go back to the mainland in the winter??) when really, if we had to rush into cold weather unexpectedly, a pair of jeans and some layers and a light jacket would suffice until we could pick up something else at our cold destination. I kept it for about ten years and finally ended up giving it to the Salvation Army. No room in this little house for such silliness, LOL.
No furniture, no cars. We came with ten suitcases/garment bags/carry-ons (at that time you could bring three big suitcases on a plane, no charge---we paid, IIRC, $25 each for two more big ones and the carry-ons were free) and we had friends ship boxes of stuff from the mainland when we had a permanent address.
We took valuables and important papers with us on the plane.
Looking back, I don't think we'd do anything differently.
Beyond the practical, bring what you couldn't bear to leave behind. Precious Christmas ornaments, mementos from your childhood, anything that would make you sad if you left it behind. Within reason, of course. As mentioned often on this forum, condos and houses tend to have smaller rooms here and not much storage space.

Old 03-03-2012, 02:25 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,017,648 times
Pack several suitcases full of whatever you would grab first if your house was burning (slowly) down. Then look at what's left and see if it's worth shipping.

Old 03-03-2012, 03:35 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,662,406 times
We shipped our old high clearance 4-wheel drive to the BI and glad we did. We do a lot of off-roading, and you need both high clearance and 4-wheel drive. We also brought a small gas-efficient car for the long trips to Kona or Hilo.

Hoping that you've spent time here and are familiar with what your lifestyle will be like and what kinds of stores we have. Based on that information, you can decide what you need to bring. If you use a particular brand of shampoo that you can only buy at a salon, for example, then bring lots of it with you because you probably won't find it here. We do a lot of shopping on-line, but then you have to pay extra for shipping to Hawaii. Don't depend on Target and WalMart to have the same inventory as they would on the mainland.

Our lifestyle here is sooooo much more casual than on the mainland. Dressing up is putting on a clean aloha shirt and shorts. I guess you must be working since you mentioned business attire, but you may want to check with your employer to see what people wear to work. It's really casual here (did I mention that already?), more so than I was expecting.

Old 03-04-2012, 11:23 AM

124 posts, read 431,761 times
A small, fuel efficernt car. Roads in the older, urban areas of Oahu can be narrow and crowded with traffic. Street parking can be problematic in neighborhoods that are densely populated....i.e. lots of condos. Gas
is expensive if you are frequently on the road. I think new and used cars are generally more expensive to purchase in Hawai'i than on the west coast of the mainland even if one takes into consideration the cost of shipping and licensing. Of course this runs contrary to what one seems to generally see tooling the streets
of Oahu. Seems like everyone is driving a large SUV or p/up truck. I tend to wonder about the SUV's. I
imagine the only 4-wheeling going on around here is when someone backs over their garden while pulling out of their driveway.

Old 03-04-2012, 11:50 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,897,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spammasubi View Post
A small, fuel efficernt car. Roads in the older, urban areas of Oahu can be narrow and crowded with traffic. Street parking can be problematic in neighborhoods that are densely populated....i.e. lots of condos. Gas
is expensive if you are frequently on the road. I think new and used cars are generally more expensive to purchase in Hawai'i than on the west coast of the mainland even if one takes into consideration the cost of shipping and licensing. Of course this runs contrary to what one seems to generally see tooling the streets
of Oahu. Seems like everyone is driving a large SUV or p/up truck. I tend to wonder about the SUV's. I
imagine the only 4-wheeling going on around here is when someone backs over their garden while pulling out of their driveway.
If one is in the market for a new car - the luxury brands (Lexus, BMW, Mercedes) are definitely cheaper to purchase in the LA area. Servco Lexus wouldn't budge on the sticker price on the car I wanted and I picked up the same exact car in LA for $9K under sticker. So even with shipping it was a much better deal.

Old 03-04-2012, 01:21 PM

124 posts, read 431,761 times
WhtViper1 Wrote:
"If one is in the market for a new car - the luxury brands (Lexus, BMW, Mercedes) are definitely cheaper to purchase in the LA area. Servco Lexus wouldn't budge on the sticker price on the car I wanted and I picked up the same exact car in LA for $9K under sticker. So even with shipping it was a much better deal."

I think it is true for less expesnive models too. One of the kids found a used 2011 Toyota Tacoma for sale in California that was cheaper by about $3200 than what he could buy on Oahu. He flew to LA; inspected and purchased the truck and shipped it back to Hono for less than he could purchased on the island. He even
worked a side trip to visit the second love of his life-----Vegas. However I never did learn how much she
might have took from him. It could very possibly been better if he stayed on island and purchased locally,
however that is a story I will likely never hear.......

Old 03-04-2012, 03:11 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,426,027 times
Just as important to know, I think, is what NOT to bring...

And the top of that list, for me, is anything made of leather. Leather clothes, furniture, handbags, even shoes... it mildews and rots in our climate. Minimize what you bring that's leather.

Why, I've even switched over to synthetic gun holsters.

Old 03-04-2012, 03:27 PM

431 posts, read 939,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Just as important to know, I think, is what NOT to bring...

And the top of that list, for me, is anything made of leather. Leather clothes, furniture, handbags, even shoes... it mildews and rots in our climate. Minimize what you bring that's leather.

Why, I've even switched over to synthetic gun holsters.
I've found that leather furniture does just fine here and I have plenty of leather handbags that have also survived well, with a little vigilance. Smooth leather, that is. Suede quickly succumbs to a white spotty mildew that destroys it. I had a nice pair of suede hiking boots that got totally moldy after sitting in my closet for a year or two and I tossed them. Same for a suede handbag.
If you catch the white mildew on smooth leather when it's just in the small spot stage you can wipe it off with a leather cleaner but if you let it go it will take over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: