Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 08:50 PM

4,416 posts, read 4,913,377 times

Advertisements

The pro we hired put siesta up into the bananas and other trees as much as is possible. Based on my experience the siesta is more effective than provaunt, unfortunate that there is no way to get corn grits to stick 30' up in a tree. Do you use the Zep sprayers for the provaunt? We haven't had much luck with them lasting for an entire bottle and looking for alternatives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2017, 07:04 PM

834 posts, read 1,218,711 times
Provaunt has as the active ingredient Indoxacarb. It is a broad spectrum poison against many critters. Not only LFA.

Siesta has as the active ingredient Metaflumizone. It was developed against ticks and fleas, but works on LFA as well. It blocks their sodium channel and paralyzes them.

Both have a single action mechanism. The EXTINGUISH+ I see as superior as it has a double action: Infertility of the queens + Death to the workers.

Whatever poison you end up using (variety is probably the best) soak it in soy, canola, or peanut oil. Doesn't matter--the proteins in the oil is what they are after. Even the LFA ants high in trees come down for a bait like this. So nail a can on the tree trunk out of reach for other critters. Make sure the rain doesn't soak the bait. Smear some around the can and around the trunk. Or climb a tall ladder and mount it up there.

Good luck!

Old 09-09-2017, 11:25 AM

74 posts, read 74,244 times
TC, I use "Master Blaster" to spray Provaunt bait up into my trees. Cheap, rarely clogs, shoots about 20 ft.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P8E4338/
I also make it a point to toss Siesta up into the trees as best I can. Most of it winds up on the ground, but every little bit helps.

Old 09-11-2017, 02:23 PM

65 posts, read 67,720 times
Aloha! Little fire ants can be sprayed and stuff, it's true, but the best way is to PUNCH THEM IN THE FACE! this shows that you aren't scared of them, and they recognize that you are the alpha creature.

Old 09-30-2017, 05:43 PM

"Provaunt has as the active ingredient Indoxacarb. It is a broad spectrum poison against many critters. Not only LFA."

That explains it's effectiveness. Indoxacarb is the ingredient in Advion roach bait gel, I read that for every roach that comes in contact with the gel, 54 other cockroaches die. Because roaches are cannibals and a poisoned roach will kill the other roaches that eat it, and the roaches that eat them will die, and the roaches that eat them will die too, up to 3 generations. (Some studies suggest even 4 or 5). The poison is deliberately slow-acting so that the roaches will live long enough to return to the roach community and poison the other roaches.

My daughter rented an apartment in Honolulu that was infested with roaches and none of the usual remedies helped. I sent her a tube of Advion roach gel and it was a miracle cure. This is what I sent her:

https://www.amazon.com/Advion-Syngen...31792b485f68d1

Old 11-10-2017, 02:21 PM

If you've had problems finding Siesta, it's because it's no longer available in the 2 pound containers. (The 2 pound containers replaced the 1.5 pound containers, which are also no longer available).

The smallest size currently available is 15 pounds. Because of the high cost of the 15 pound bags (over $200) most of the merchants stopped selling it. (even the Hilo Farm Co-op no longer carries it).

There is an eBay merchant selling 1.5 pound jugs for $47 with free shipping. They have two left.

CPS has the 15# bags in stock for $206 plus tax. When we run out of Siesta the plan is to buy the 15# bag with neighbors and friends and split the cost.

The 15# bags work out to approximately $13 a pound as compared to $25 in the 2 pound jugs, so its actually a MUCH better deal, we just can't use 15# before it goes bad.

Old 11-14-2017, 11:43 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,221,356 times
How about this? Photo of molten lead poured into nest chambers. I've been caught by those fire ant before on Maui, hate them.
Attached Thumbnails
Advice needed. Best practices fighting off Little Fire Ants-73b80d67-53ea-438a-b475-a3c6cbbbffa2-599  

Old 11-15-2017, 12:23 AM

2,081 posts, read 5,600,055 times
Those are fascinating, best part is that wipes out the nest!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island