Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2017, 07:35 AM

37 posts, read 42,915 times

Advertisements

anyone have tips on how you (YOU) make homemade bread ! I've read that tropical areas have a harder time in the process of proofing your dough.( and what other slight problems ) and there is some tricks like using the refrigerator or adding more flour or less water???? any advice??!! thank you david
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2017, 07:41 AM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,167,166 times
I use a bread-maker, which is cheating a bit. It makes awesome bread so I don't know why full-scratch bread would be problematic.

Old 12-15-2017, 11:06 AM

5,528 posts, read 12,684,024 times
I bake breads and rolls from scratch all the time with no problem. It all rises just fine.

Don't forget that there are very different micro climates all over the island. I live in a area of low to moderate rainfall, so maybe that makes a difference. Your experience could be different if you lived in the town of Volcano (where it is cooler) or Mountain View (gets a ton of rain).

Old 12-15-2017, 01:10 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,930,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by david1952 View Post
I've read that tropical areas have a harder time in the process of proofing your dough.
You likely will not ever have problems - when they speak to challenges in the tropics, it is more a reference to ultra high humidity tropical areas (with no AC) which Hawaii rarely experiences. Singapore, Caribbean, etc might pose challenges in which you might use a little less yeast and let the dough rise overnight in the fridge.

Old 12-15-2017, 08:23 PM

10,915 posts, read 7,417,733 times
I've done it by hand and with a bread machine, both work fine.
You may want to weigh your ingredients instead of using measuring cups; that's supposed to counteract the problems caused by humidity. I always use measuring cups and check the consistency of the dough, adding more flour or water if needed.

Old 12-16-2017, 09:18 AM

2,106 posts, read 1,936,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I've done it by hand and with a bread machine, both work fine.
I always use measuring cups and check the consistency of the dough, adding more flour or water if needed.
The consistency of the dough after the 1st knead (either by hand or by the machine) IS THE KEY THING especially in when the humidity is high.

To check for the right dough consistency, push the dough ball down with the tip of your finger. The dough should spring back and does not stick to your finger. If it sticks to your finger, add more flour. If it is hard and does not spring back, add some water. Mix the additional flour or water in the dough by hand and check the dough again for consistency.

I used to knead dough by hand then Kitchen Aid mixer until we bought a bread machine 25 years ago. We use the bread machine to make bread, bagels, rolls and all kinds of baked goods. I use the bread machine dough cycle to make dough for bagels, French/Italian loaves, pizza etc and have never failed.

Old 12-16-2017, 04:52 PM

37 posts, read 42,915 times
thanks all... I like and enjoy bread making french toasts and Bruschetta,, thanks again Merry Christmas

Old 12-16-2017, 07:56 PM

4,416 posts, read 4,918,822 times
Homemade bread is a staple on our Hawaii farm. Have never noticed any differences than making it anywhere else.

Old 12-23-2017, 05:05 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,053,862 times
Mele Kalikimaka!

To make bread, I'll put some sort of liquid in the KitchenAid mixing bowl, up to over my knuckle but not to the top of my finger, about mid-way. It's usually water, but sometimes coffee or tea, depending on mood.

Then add in the sour dough starter that lives in the refrigerator and refresh that with more flour and water. It's generally about a half cup of starter at "pancake mix" level of liquidity.

Then add in some sort of sugar, a glop of molasses to a tablespoon of sugar will do.

A tablespoon or two of dry yeast is also added.

That's all stirred together and then enough flour is added to make a dough too thin to rise. Kinda a thick pancake batter, maybe a bit thicker. It won't hold bubbles but is as thick as it can be without holding bubbles.

Let that sit for a couple hours, it will start to smell really good after a couple of hours. Then add in enough flour to make a dough and let that rise until it's about doubled in size. Punch it down, shape it into loaves and put it into the baking dishes. Let it get about a third bigger then bake.

Generally we'll get flour for bread at Costco and the two pound bricks of yeast there, too, although they were out of the yeast bricks for awhile.

It's all pretty much the same time and process in Hawaii as a similar temperature place on the mainland, I think.

Old 12-25-2017, 11:14 AM

4,416 posts, read 4,918,822 times
The wife makes a German style bread that requires no kneading. The yeast does all the work breaking down the gluten so it requires very little work and doesn't make a mess on the counter. I don't know if this is the exact recipe she uses because she has the ingredients/proportions/etc in her head, but this looks to be the same- (the downside to this method is that you have to plan the bread out the night before you want to bake it because the yeast needs at least 12 hours to work the gluten)

Crusty Dutch Oven Bread requires no kneading and only 4 ingredients!

Author: an affair from the heart
Recipe type: bread
Serves: 1 loaf

Ingredients
  • 3 cups all purpose flour [tastes better using bread flour]
  • 1¾ teaspoon salt
  • ½ teaspoon active dry yeast
  • 1½ cups water at room temperature

Instructions
  1. In a big bowl mix together flour, salt and yeast. Add water to the bowl and using a rubber spatula mix it until it is all incorporated. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and sit on your counter for 12 to 18 hours.
  2. When ready to bake, preheat oven and your cast iron dutch oven to 450 F degrees. (your dutch oven needs to have a lid, preheat along with the oven)
  3. Flour your work surface and your hands really well. With your floured hands gently remove the dough from the bowl and shape it into a ball.
  4. Remove pot from oven when preheated, and remove the lid.
  5. Take the ball of dough and drop it into the pot. [note, we line the dutch oven with parchment paper] Cover the pot with the lid and place it back in the oven.
  6. Bake for 30 minutes with the lid on, then remove the lid and bake for another 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.
  7. Remove from the oven and let cool.
  8. Slice and enjoy!
It's also awesome throwing in a small handful of whole garlic cloves. You can get creative with various herbs etc.

https://anaffairfromtheheart.com/201...ch-oven-bread/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island