Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 12:23 PM

10,905 posts, read 7,397,769 times

Advertisements

My smartphone wasn't turned on, but I checked it later; no alert.
How does this work?
Did the alert get deleted because I hadn't picked it up?
Do I have to sign up somewhere to get an alert?
The nearest siren is about 7 miles away, so we can't even hear that.

Civil Defense didn't send alerts via email, just a cancellation message at 8:35.

I didn't wake up until 9, I guess I might have calmly died in my sleep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2018, 01:32 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,038,603 times
My phone isn't so smart, so it received the alert as a text and stored it. Other folks who have smarter phones than mine had the alert appear and then disappear so I'm not sure what format it shows up for them.

We got the alert on two different phones, looked around for some additional evidence of it actually happening and found on via the TV news that it was a false alarm before the CD second notice arrived.

I can think of several scenarios where this could have been an honest mistake. It is a new system, so there's all sorts of possibilities for glitches.

As for the folks responding to it as an actual event, which they should really; they shouldn't be penalized for leaving meetings and such. It's an EOTWAWNKI event if it's real and their first response should be to take care of family. Not that they're gonna be able to get there in twelve minutes, but that's a proper response. Continuing a business meeting with an incoming nuclear strike isn't reasonable, IMHO. But, the folks with the meeting should have addressed it in the meeting if everyone's cell phone is lighting up with an alert of this nature. Just a general, be calm, check out the situation, etc. A few seconds to make sure it's a true emergency would have saved a lot of folks grief.

Old 01-14-2018, 01:33 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,917,108 times
Your phone must be on to get the alert. You don’t sign up. They don’t work like text messages, you don’t get the old ones.

Old 01-14-2018, 02:28 PM

10,905 posts, read 7,397,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Your phone must be on to get the alert. You don’t sign up. They don’t work like text messages, you don’t get the old ones.
thanks for explaining.

Old 01-14-2018, 07:39 PM

737 posts, read 1,462,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
No. I wasn't terrified for even seconds. No lie. Couple reasons:
1. I was on a military base when the "alert" hit my cell. There was no mobilizing around me.
2. There's about a less than zero chance the DPRK would launch any strike against Hawaii.
3. I've served in many military actions - thus have learned to stay calm making situational assessments.

I do recall, with considerable humor, another great lesson learned from being called into action under attack. As I threw my chow tray and ran to my flight station under my first ever alarm, I made a mental note I haven't forgotten in near 50 years since: never postpone any opportunity to keep your bladder and bowels clear - as you never know what might cause you to regret a cavalierly casual attitude in that regard in any future minute.

That first action was a barn-burner. Lasted well over 30 hours of back to back flight operations and sorties before we put the covers back on. As it turned out there were numerous well appreciated minutes here and there to take care of urgent business over the night and following day ... and somehow I managed to maintain the integrity of my shorts ... But it was a nip and tuck effort for quite a while there at first.
Good for you. I probably should have said "any civilians" and not "anybody". I have a couple of friends stationed on Oahu that were pretty shook up for a minute with their families there and all. Buncha wimps I tell ya.

Old 01-14-2018, 08:17 PM

21,741 posts, read 16,356,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklin42 View Post
Good for you. I probably should have said "any civilians" and not "anybody". I have a couple of friends stationed on Oahu that were pretty shook up for a minute with their families there and all. Buncha wimps I tell ya.
I am a civilian - now. Retired.

My point was, and remains: always pays to make situational assessments without panic ... (and remember to go potty every opportunity even when things are fine).

This is an age of hoaxes and hacks ... to say nothing of automated systems that go wonky.
There is a less than zero chance DPRK would launch a first strike against Hawaii.
There were no sirens.
No military or local law enforcement mobilizations.
There was no ongoing civil defense broadcasting.
And did I mention there is a less than zero chance the DPRK will launch any attack against Hawaii?

Old 01-14-2018, 08:53 PM

737 posts, read 1,462,855 times
Quote:
I am a civilian - now. Retired.

My point was, and remains: always pays to make situational assessments without panic ... (and remember to go potty every opportunity even when things are fine).

This is an age of hoaxes and hacks ... to say nothing of automated systems that go wonky.
There is a less than zero chance DPRK would launch a first strike against Hawaii.
There were no sirens.
No military or local law enforcement mobilizations.
There was no ongoing civil defense broadcasting.
And did I mention there is a less than zero chance the DPRK will launch any attack against Hawaii?
I totally agree with your first point and I am not trying to argue with you. As to the bolded sentence, I agree but we can't be so lax about these kind of things these days. You just never know. All I am really trying to say is that most people in the state of Hawaii that got that message Saturday morning had at least a little bit of fear or panic before the tweets started coming out(I shouldn't have said "terrified" all though I am sure there were thousands of people that were at the time). At least every single person that I know that got the message was at the very least a little shaken after reading the original message. Not everybody knows what the protocol is if something like that were to happen(because there is a less than zero chance of it happening I suppose). It's human nature, that's all. Thanks for serving by the way.

Old 01-14-2018, 09:17 PM

21,741 posts, read 16,356,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklin42 View Post
I totally agree with your first point and I am not trying to argue with you. As to the bolded sentence, I agree but we can't be so lax about these kind of things these days. You just never know. All I am really trying to say is that most people in the state of Hawaii that got that message Saturday morning had at least a little bit of fear or panic before the tweets started coming out(I shouldn't have said "terrified" all though I am sure there were thousands of people that were at the time). At least every single person that I know that got the message was at the very least a little shaken after reading the original message. Not everybody knows what the protocol is if something like that were to happen(because there is a less than zero chance of it happening I suppose). It's human nature, that's all. Thanks for serving by the way.
Roger all that franklin ... didn't feel you were trying to argue either. And sure, lots of people were not only startled, but frightened. Not surprisingly given human nature. Exactly my reason for posting as I did: reminder that cool assessment is critical job one.

When my phone sounded off I looked at the message and had a wtf? question moment ... that instantly morphed to: who ‘eff’d this one up?, as I looked around and did a quick 'sit-rep' checklist in my head.

Old 01-14-2018, 09:19 PM

10,561 posts, read 7,763,547 times
Quote:

Yeah, you did, and I agree. Also, chances slim to none of Russia targeting Hawaii during an all out nuclear exchange with US.

But if there aren't enough other things to worry about, why not add this on?

Old 01-14-2018, 09:33 PM

127 posts, read 209,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedintime View Post
Already met 2 people who were fired for walking out of their work to go be with their children.

We just finished our coffee, figuring it was already to late.

Like to know who is responsible for sending that alarm ?
Some people are saying it was a setup by democrats to test Trump and/or make him look bad. Some say it was a guy who pressed a wrong button while leaving his shift (which could relate to the first part), but a lot of people are saying it was a democrat thing because they're all in a flutter over Trump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island