Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 06:31 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,899,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
What's the percentage of food shipped into Hawaii Island versus the amount of food shipped out?
Overall 90% of the food in Hawaii is imported.

50% of the seafood is imported.

Taro is even imported.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2018, 11:16 AM

861 posts, read 1,061,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Yes, it was one of the first clues they said in the paper something went wrong
Then why did it take 38 minutes to halt the alert?

Old 01-18-2018, 11:46 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,020,110 times
Quote:
Overall 90% of the food in Hawaii is imported.

50% of the seafood is imported.

Taro is even imported.
Well, that's the overall statewide numbers. Has it been broken down as to how much of the food on the other islands is imported? Do they also import 90% of their food?

If the amount of food shipped out is balanced with the amount of food shipped in, how do the numbers compare? This island (Hawaii Island) ships out a lot of food, but it's only several varieties so if we had to rely on what was grown here, everyone's diet would change. But would there be enough raw calories produced to keep everyone alive? I'd suspect that if the population numbers of Oahu weren't in the equation, it would work.

Old 01-18-2018, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfdog View Post
Then why did it take 38 minutes to halt the alert?
From what I read - it took them that long as they didn't know how to send a correction. The messages were pre-populated and not custom

Old 01-18-2018, 02:50 PM

861 posts, read 1,061,979 times
Quote:
From what I read - it took them that long as they didn't know how to send a correction. The messages were pre-populated and not custom
Wow
And Thanks

Old 01-18-2018, 10:53 PM

10,890 posts, read 7,376,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Well, that's the overall statewide numbers. Has it been broken down as to how much of the food on the other islands is imported? Do they also import 90% of their food?

If the amount of food shipped out is balanced with the amount of food shipped in, how do the numbers compare? This island (Hawaii Island) ships out a lot of food, but it's only several varieties so if we had to rely on what was grown here, everyone's diet would change. But would there be enough raw calories produced to keep everyone alive? I'd suspect that if the population numbers of Oahu weren't in the equation, it would work.
I don't have the numbers you want, but read that 100,000 tons of avocados go to waste on the BI every year. But you can buy imported avocados in many stores.

I think there is a lot of food wasted, but probably not enough to support the entire population of this island, let alone Oahu.

Old 01-19-2018, 06:35 AM

19,802 posts, read 9,345,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Why do we fight among ourselves? We should all be fighting towards a common goal -- to make sure this doesn't happen to us again.

Has anyone watched the old Henry Fonda black and white movie FAIL SAFE? If not, it's worth a couple hours of your time. It's a tale about the devastating effects a computer error has on our nation, and the ultimate order the president of the United States has to give to prevent nuclear war with Russia.
"War Games" is another oldie but goodie.

Old 01-19-2018, 09:17 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,570,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
"War Games" is another oldie but goodie.
These days 'Dr. Strangelove' watched with 'Being There' is probably more appropriate. Especially if you like Peter Sellers.

Old 01-19-2018, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I don't have the numbers you want, but read that 100,000 tons of avocados go to waste on the BI every year. But you can buy imported avocados in many stores.
Perhaps closer to 400,000 tons wasted....

https://keolamagazine.com/land/ken-l...cado-advocate/

In 2007, Love was part of a study on avocados which found that Hawaiian farmers produced over 800,000 pounds of avocados, but nearly half of that went to waste. While more than 350,000 pounds of prime avocados rotted on the trees here, Hawai’i’s supermarkets imported more than 1.5 million pounds of avocados from California and Mexico. Continued efforts to educate the public are starting to pay off, but ever so slowly. Hawai’i Island’s Natural Food Grocers such as Island Naturals and Abundant Life purchase avocados from local growers, and restaurants are buying more and more locally.

Exporting is not the answer to the rotting fruit. For more than 100 years, Hawaiian avocados have not made their way West. In 1908 the California avocado growers got the Hawai’i avocados banned because fruit flies came along with the crops. Small and especially organic growers do not find fruit fly treatments economical. Ken Love says the answer for Hawai’i is to persuade local markets to change their buying habits.

Old 01-19-2018, 10:29 AM

2,481 posts, read 2,233,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by junie136 View Post
Some people are saying it was a setup by democrats to test Trump and/or make him look bad. .
Trump needs no assistance to make him look bad... he does a bang up job on his own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island