Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 12:02 PM

37 posts, read 42,930 times

Advertisements

here in sacramento ca. daughter just called and wanted me to pray for here and the kids about the alert on her phone.. shes in oahu and was working and everyone ran out of there meeting. she drove for her kids at home and the traffic was crazy.... as xmilitary i see the civilians aren't to ready. be ready people. please
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2018, 12:30 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,602,734 times
We would have about 12 minutes to find cover. That’s almost impossible to achieve for most people.

Old 01-13-2018, 12:32 PM

10,915 posts, read 7,424,551 times
All I saw was the cancellation of the alert.

Old 01-13-2018, 12:48 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,167,949 times
This is how the alert was met around the Grassy house.
Since I was getting a second cup, I asked my wife if she would like a last cup of "Armageddon coffee". She did (in case you were wondering).

Old 01-13-2018, 12:59 PM

1,022 posts, read 743,078 times
Already met 2 people who were fired for walking out of their work to go be with their children.

We just finished our coffee, figuring it was already to late.

Like to know who is responsible for sending that alarm ?

Old 01-13-2018, 01:02 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,938,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedintime View Post
Already met 2 people who were fired for walking out of their work to go be with their children.
Must be a BI thing. Jeez, you can’t use that as an excuse to walk off the job.

Old 01-13-2018, 01:24 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,602,734 times
I went for that last cup of coffee too. I’m too old to sweat the small stuff.

Old 01-13-2018, 02:37 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,685,696 times
We turned on the tv. None of the national news channels had anything about a missile coming to Hawaii, so we figured it was either a hack of the civil defense system or someone screwed up. It took our leaders over a half hour to send out a correction.

Old 01-13-2018, 06:18 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,060,220 times
There were a lot of folks talking about it today, mostly to try to figure out what they should do if it had been real.

For us, it was "if it's a real alert, why is that CD siren near our house not howling? Why isn't there an alert on the TV? Why isn't it on the internet?" So, we had another cuppa coffee and texted some folks to see if it was a virus in our cellphone providers or what. Since it was with more providers than just our cell phone carrier, we figured the glitch was most likely outside the phone system.

A lot of folks, though, had different responses. Some tried to go to their kids, some went to the coffee shop. We weren't out in traffic, so I don't know what folks in cars did. Had we been driving, we probably would have headed towards home and tried to find out more via the radio stations and the internet on the phone. But, we were at home so we had another cup of coffee instead.

Someone said they'd heard about looting in Kailua-Kona. That just seems weird to me, I think it is just a rumor. The folks who told me were the same folks who said someone had told them that they'd heard CD sirens, so I'm thinking it's not a valid source of information. None of the sirens went off, so the folks repeating what they heard don't seem to hear things properly or repeat them accurately.

So, mostly from what I saw, most of the reaction was talking more so than anything else. We did make a list of all the folks we know who have a bomb shelter, there's actually more of those around than you'd think. Not that we can get to any of them in twelve minutes, though.

Old 01-13-2018, 06:37 PM

10,578 posts, read 7,797,913 times
Ah, so Hawaii still stands.

Shoot, I bought a last minute ticket KOA to ANC for nothing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island