Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 07:06 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,161,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I don't understand that argument.....

Uh, I get the argument.
And this kids, is why uncle Grassy has a drinking problem....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2018, 07:14 PM

2,378 posts, read 1,313,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Some get inheritance / some get money from parents.

A couple of misconceptions though that you have.

Hawaii ranks low in poverty compared to most states (about 9th) and ranks in top 3 of households with over a million in assets excluding primary residence and retirement (whose primary residence is Hawaii). Hawaii also has the lowest income wealth gap in the nation. There is a lot of “old money” here. Think about the wealth of people who bought in the 70s, 80s, and even early 90s whose houses are paid off and the wealth it has generated.

Without looking at a mortgage calculator- I’m fairly sure a couple each making $60K can get a $500K mortgage.

The mortgage would be about $3100 with 5% down. I guess that is not so bad to live in Hawaii. At least most the activities and things to do are free.

Old 06-15-2018, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassyknoll View Post
Because many of these homes have multiple generations living in them and are passed down within local families. They were just working class family homes before the neighborhoods turned into $500k neighborhoods. You can see this in a number of areas of each island.

Gotcha. That makes sense. But that still doesn’t explain the lack of upkeep in these homes.

Old 06-15-2018, 07:29 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,161,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
Gotcha. That makes sense. But that still doesn’t explain the lack of upkeep in these homes.
Just not a priority for a lot of local families. Very little "keeping up with the Jonses" here, and that translates to appearance of homes. And also, mainlanders tend to see a lot of junk cars and stuff in front.of houses. But on a remote island, those junk cars become your own little pick-n-pull.

Old 06-15-2018, 07:51 PM

4,336 posts, read 1,552,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
You would include LZ3? There is a lot of area on the Kona side that is in LZ3. I would never consider purchasing in LZ1 or 2, but 3 I would.
I agree with you on that.

Old 06-15-2018, 07:54 PM

4,336 posts, read 1,552,685 times
Quote:
Just not a priority for a lot of local families. Very little "keeping up with the Jonses" here, and that translates to appearance of homes. And also, mainlanders tend to see a lot of junk cars and stuff in front.of houses. But on a remote island, those junk cars become your own little pick-n-pull.
There is a very big difference between keeping up with the Jonses, and keeping up with repairs and maintenance.

Old 06-15-2018, 08:46 PM

Quote:
I get with what you are saying in regards to “keeping up with Jone’s,” but that is not what I’m talking about. My wife and I owned a home in a poorer neighborhood and there was definitely no keeping up with the Jone’s there, but people kept a certain amount of maintenance on their homes so that they wouldn’t collapse. Looking at some homes for sale online, not “keeping up with the Jone’s” is taken to a whole other level. As almost there is a competition of “not keeping up with the Jone’s.” Don’t get me wrong, I see the same stuff on the mainland, but these houses are also not selling for $500K. With that said, I’m just asking out of curiosity. It’s interesting to me. It seems on the google street view, some of these neighborhoods look more run down than the neighborhoods we drove around on the BI. Most of the run down homes we saw was mostly limited to Puna. We leave for Kauai in about a month and it will be fun to explore. I know my wife is hoping to land a position on Kauai, but she needs to see for herself that the living arrangements are not as accommodating as they would on the BI. I also think it’s a long shot for her to even land a position on Kauai.

Old 06-15-2018, 08:54 PM

172 posts, read 146,131 times
Quote:
And this kids, is why uncle Grassy has a drinking problem....
Lol...aside from your thirst can you comment on the air quality in Ka'u? I assume from your southernmost part of your profile that is where you reside.

Old 06-15-2018, 09:17 PM

172 posts, read 146,131 times
Yes, housing prices are determined by supply and demand. However, jobs are an important component in demand. Rural areas on average have less appeal for those who work for a living and therefore there is less demand by those of working age if there are no jobs nearby. One of the (several) reasons Kona has more demand is economic. There are more jobs and they are closer. What good is a $15 an hour job if you have to spend $1000 per month in gas to get there?

Old 06-15-2018, 10:40 PM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molokai100 View Post
Lol...aside from your thirst can you comment on the air quality in Ka'u? I assume from your southernmost part of your profile that is where you reside.
This website updates current vog conditions island wide several times a day. Haven't been to Ka'u region recently but can say that the vog around Kona airport is the worst I've ever seen it. http://weather.hawaii.edu/vmap/current/index.cgi
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island