Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 10:43 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,161,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molokai100 View Post
Lol...aside from your thirst can you comment on the air quality in Ka'u? I assume from your southernmost part of your profile that is where you reside.
Air quality has been....chewy.
Seriously though, it has been bad most days, god-awful several and really nice on a few days when the winds switched direction.
It doesn’t affect.me too much though I have discontinued running for a bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2018, 10:56 PM

172 posts, read 146,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassyknoll View Post
Air quality has been....chewy.
Seriously though, it has been bad most days, god-awful several and really nice on a few days when the winds switched direction.
It doesn’t affect.me too much though I have discontinued running for a bit.
Thanks for the report. Ive had several friends state Kona is just unbearable but a few of them tend to be drama queens so a consensus is preferable. My daughter arrived in Maui yesterday for a few days in Makena. She texted me and said the vog was really bad. Hope things change soon.

Blind Cleric, i heard the same thing from a friend who flew into Kona. Really bad. He said every breath tasted like chewing on a match.

Old 06-15-2018, 11:35 PM

74 posts, read 74,094 times
We were in Kona today (Hapuna and Costco day!); it was the worst vog I've ever seen, both there and on Saddle Road. The air quality was worse there than in Pahoa, although it was pretty bad there too. Air quality is a non-issue in middle to north Puna most days as the trades comes down from the northeast. People complain anyway, as were are used to having some of the cleanest air on the planet.
My understanding that the vog has been really bad in the HOVE area and SW parts of the island.

Old 06-16-2018, 12:08 AM

2,378 posts, read 1,313,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestone View Post
We were in Kona today (Hapuna and Costco day!); it was the worst vog I've ever seen, both there and on Saddle Road. The air quality was worse there than in Pahoa, although it was pretty bad there too. Air quality is a non-issue in middle to north Puna most days as the trades comes down from the northeast. People complain anyway, as were are used to having some of the cleanest air on the planet.
My understanding that the vog has been really bad in the HOVE area and SW parts of the island.
How’s the vog up at Hapuna?

Old 06-16-2018, 12:33 AM

74 posts, read 74,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
How’s the vog up at Hapuna?
Smell wasn't too bad, although the regular dose of salt water up my nose (surf was up; BOOGIE BOARDING!!!) made it hard to judge. Visibility was terrible. Forget about seeing Maui, couldn't even see Kohala. Couldn't see the ocean from 190. It's a shame, because distant vistas there are usually awesome. You can usually see for around 40 miles, today it was more like 3 miles.

Old 06-16-2018, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestone View Post
Smell wasn't too bad, although the regular dose of salt water up my nose (surf was up; BOOGIE BOARDING!!!) made it hard to judge. Visibility was terrible. Forget about seeing Maui, couldn't even see Kohala. Couldn't see the ocean from 190. It's a shame, because distant vistas there are usually awesome. You can usually see for around 40 miles, today it was more like 3 miles.
That really is a shame, but at least it is do to nature doing her thing rather than man made. This won’t last forever and things will normalize once again.

Tried to upload a photo I took from up on 250 halfway between Hawi and Waimea capturing Muana Loa and the ocean. Couldn’t get a more clear picture. I guess it will be a while before getting those views back. The size of the file is too big to upload.

Old 06-16-2018, 09:52 AM

268 posts, read 382,708 times
I'm a bit concerned aboit the VOG as my parents are in Kona visiting relatives. My Dad and Uncle, both in their 70's, are building a deck and other outdoor things...

Old 06-16-2018, 09:55 AM

4,336 posts, read 1,552,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
That really is a shame, but at least it is do to nature doing her thing rather than man made. This won’t last forever and things will normalize once again.

Tried to upload a photo I took from up on 250 halfway between Hawi and Waimea capturing Muana Loa and the ocean. Couldn’t get a more clear picture. I guess it will be a while before getting those views back. The size of the file is too big to upload.
I suspect HI is in for a 20 to 30 stretch of this "stuff".

Old 06-16-2018, 11:13 AM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-D View Post
30 what, based on what? According to geologists, historical eruptions of Kilauea have lasted for weeks or months.

Old 06-16-2018, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-D View Post

From everything I have read, no one knows when this will end. Some say it could be tomorrow others say it could be years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island