Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 05:51 PM

4,336 posts, read 1,557,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassyknoll View Post
Not sure why it wouldn't be liveable? We live in the desert, arctic, on the open ocean and even in space.
So what's the issue?

I live on the 1907 lava flow and other than a few scraggly Ohia trees and ferns, it's still barren rock. Oh, I mean except for where I have brought in soil and planted pretty much every type of tropical plant that will grow at my altitude.
There are actually some real solid benefits to living on newer lava that you wouldn't be aware of until you had tried it.
OK, I give in.

My point wasn't so much the livability of lava flows, but the usability of basalt lava. It is already used to make re-bar and has many advantages in that capacity such as weight, non-corroding, non-conducting. Seems to me perhaps other uses could be made of it as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2018, 08:41 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,165,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-D View Post
OK, I give in.

My point wasn't so much the livability of lava flows, but the usability of basalt lava. It is already used to make re-bar and has many advantages in that capacity such as weight, non-corroding, non-conducting. Seems to me perhaps other uses could be made of it as well.
I don't disagree with that. Blue rock makes mighty fine walls.

Old 06-30-2018, 10:20 AM

10,570 posts, read 7,776,236 times
When listening to geologists discussing this eruption, one is struck by how little they readily admit to knowing about the entire process.
Pressure at the summit of Kilauea continues to decrease as the caldera subsides, this is a quantifiable fact. Gas emissions at the summit have also dropped off a great deal. They also know that the individual volcanoes of Mauna Loa, Kilauea and Hualalai have their own separate plumbing, despite some conspiracy theories to the contrary.

At this time, there's no evidence that ground water has infiltrated into the system and interacted with hot rock. It's estimated that approximately 30% of lava reservoir under Halemaumau has evacuated.
However, what that's worth for guessing the future of the eruption is not really known, even though fissure 8 is certainly considered to be part of Kilauea's LERZ at this time.

I believe the odds of small parts of Volcanoes National Park opening within the year are good, but that it may be quite a bit longer before it's entirely open. FWIW!

Old 06-30-2018, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
When listening to geologists discussing this eruption, one is struck by how little they readily admit to knowing about the entire process.
Pressure at the summit of Kilauea continues to decrease as the caldera subsides, this is a quantifiable fact. Gas emissions at the summit have also dropped off a great deal. They also know that the individual volcanoes of Mauna Loa, Kilauea and Hualalai have their own separate plumbing, despite some conspiracy theories to the contrary.

At this time, there's no evidence that ground water has infiltrated into the system and interacted with hot rock. It's estimated that approximately 30% of lava reservoir under Halemaumau has evacuated.
However, what that's worth for guessing the future of the eruption is not really known, even though fissure 8 is certainly considered to be part of Kilauea's LERZ at this time.

I believe the odds of small parts of Volcanoes National Park opening within the year are good, but that it may be quite a bit longer before it's entirely open. FWIW!
I think the caldera is pau.

Old 07-01-2018, 08:39 AM

Quote:
I think the caldera is pau.
Pu'u O'o could very well be pau-Geologists have suggested this. In regards to the summit, it may be on its way to entering a period of dormancy but very little chance of it being finished. Likewise for Mauna Loa.

The one I'd be interested in seeing spout a new eruption is Hualalai.

Old 07-01-2018, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Pu'u O'o could very well be pau-Geologists have suggested this. In regards to the summit, it may be on its way to entering a period of dormancy but very little chance of it being finished. Likewise for Mauna Loa.

The one I'd be interested in seeing spout a new eruption is Hualalai.
Why would you want that to happen. That is a much more developed area with lots of business etc., that would be threatened.

Old 07-01-2018, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Why would you want that to happen. That is a much more developed area with lots of business etc., that would be threatened.
It wouldn't have to destroy properties, ya know. Could flow in another direction, or just sputter about and fume at the summit. It'd be a sobering reminder that volcanism isn't entirely an East side Big Island concern-Hualalai is still active. Plus it would be fascinating science since it hasn't erupted since 1800.

Old 07-01-2018, 11:52 AM

Quote:
It wouldn't have to destroy properties, ya know. Could flow in another direction, or just sputter about and fume at the summit. It'd be a sobering reminder that volcanism isn't entirely an East side Big Island concern-Hualalai is still active. Plus it would be fascinating science since it hasn't erupted since 1800.
I think one active event is enough for now. Perhaps in 2-300 years a burp or two of ash and steam!!!

Old 07-17-2018, 06:44 PM

On topic, somewhat, is a Q and A on the USGS facebook website, regarding current eruption.

Name withheld: Could we be seeing a new crater or lava lake?
Is it also possible that we could be seeing a shield volcano form before our eyes or another Mauna Ulu ordeal?

USGS Volcanoes: It is typical in fissure eruptions for the activity to centralize at a single vent. It is unlikely that such a vent would form a new caldera, lava lake or shield volcano. The magma is still being supplied by Kilauea's plumbing system, not by a separate (deeper) mantle source, which one would expect for a new volcano.

Old 07-19-2018, 06:46 AM

Quote:
On topic, somewhat, is a Q and A on the USGS facebook website, regarding current eruption.

Name withheld: Could we be seeing a new crater or lava lake?
Is it also possible that we could be seeing a shield volcano form before our eyes or another Mauna Ulu ordeal?

USGS Volcanoes: It is typical in fissure eruptions for the activity to centralize at a single vent. It is unlikely that such a vent would form a new caldera, lava lake or shield volcano. The magma is still being supplied by Kilauea's plumbing system, not by a separate (deeper) mantle source, which one would expect for a new volcano.
I have changed my thinking on Puu Uh Oh being a directly connected to the hot spot, as recent relationship between events at the caldera, and surges at Puu Uh Oh show them to be connected to each other, NOT each connected to the Hot Spot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island