Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 09:10 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,655,273 times

Advertisements

Did they get completely obliterated? We stayed there for months, just loving the snorkeling, and I got tears in my eyes at the helicopter overview that seemed to show the whole subdivision being inundated.

This is just so sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2018, 05:27 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,184,859 times
Interesting reading the comments here. I live (d) 1000 ft from fissure 8. USGS and Hawaii Tracker FB has the best information if interested. My house is still standing. Property vaules are 0 chances on the LERZ of being able to rebuld is pretty much being told no, but no answer of compensation if condemation (which only takes a stroke of a pen by a judge it is county not state decision) or if go for enimanate domain which would take years. Us living this is just put in limbo, no FEMA no insurance $ no help. If interested in property values the insurance companies are not writing in Lava zone one or two. Example a couple this week wanted to buy property in Captain Cook and can not get insurance other than HIPA max is $300,000. Property is $500,000 unless pay in cash no sell. This will and is affecting island wide except North Kohala.

Old 07-24-2018, 12:52 AM

2,378 posts, read 1,317,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcountrygal View Post
Interesting reading the comments here. I live (d) 1000 ft from fissure 8. USGS and Hawaii Tracker FB has the best information if interested. My house is still standing. Property vaules are 0 chances on the LERZ of being able to rebuld is pretty much being told no, but no answer of compensation if condemation (which only takes a stroke of a pen by a judge it is county not state decision) or if go for enimanate domain which would take years. Us living this is just put in limbo, no FEMA no insurance $ no help. If interested in property values the insurance companies are not writing in Lava zone one or two. Example a couple this week wanted to buy property in Captain Cook and can not get insurance other than HIPA max is $300,000. Property is $500,000 unless pay in cash no sell. This will and is affecting island wide except North Kohala.
How is this affecting everything south of Kohala. You have no idea what you are talking about. Have you looked at the lava zone map? Would Kohala be more preferable in these times, yeah but I think most of LZ3 and above will be okay in our lifetime. I would rather live in LZ3 than on the coast of Florida or in tornado valley.

Old 07-24-2018, 02:35 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,045,477 times
It's not whether nwcountrygal has looked at the Lava Zone maps, it's if the INSURANCE COMPANIES have looked at the Lava Zone maps. They're the ones getting wonko on whether they will insure or not. If they won't insure, then the properties can only sell for cash and not with a mortgage.

People are getting whacko about the volcano. We had some friends visiting on Oahu and they wouldn't come over here to visit us since they were scared of the lava flow. We're in Lava Zone 8 and they're afraid to visit?

Old 07-25-2018, 12:56 AM

2,378 posts, read 1,317,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
It's not whether nwcountrygal has looked at the Lava Zone maps, it's if the INSURANCE COMPANIES have looked at the Lava Zone maps. They're the ones getting wonko on whether they will insure or not. If they won't insure, then the properties can only sell for cash and not with a mortgage.

People are getting whacko about the volcano. We had some friends visiting on Oahu and they wouldn't come over here to visit us since they were scared of the lava flow. We're in Lava Zone 8 and they're afraid to visit?
Insurance companies are not writing coverages for LZ3?

Old 07-25-2018, 06:05 AM

At this time all Lava zone 1 and 2 which is over half the island including over have of Kona side also. Lava zone 3 they are continuing but changing the terms to peoples policies instead lets say $1000 deductible to 20% deductible. Example if you have a insured house of $200,000 now your property deductible is $40,000 not $1,000. And at renewal raising premiums in LZ3. Nothing in LZ1 or Lz2 now.

Hotzcatz exactly.

Old 07-25-2018, 06:18 AM

Nyfinestbxtf I am at this point 1000ft from fissure 8 still standing unlivable as gas will kill you. I agree it is safer here than Florida, or tornado alley. I chose my property by flow topography. It is safe. I never thought lava would go 25 miles underground and pop up doing 3 Olympic size swimming pools a second down hill, now up hill from me. Still safer though as far as standing. Never thought about the gas.

If back in 2014 LZ3 was where the lava was going to flow Not LZ1.

Old 07-25-2018, 07:45 AM

10,567 posts, read 7,776,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcountrygal View Post
At this time all Lava zone 1 and 2 which is over half the island including over have of Kona side also...
It's not that much. All of Mauna Loa hazard zone 1 is at high elevation. So, there are no residences on Kona side in hazard zone 1, only in Puna. Many people don't realize how much of Kona side is in hazard zone 2 though, such as your example of Captain Cook.

The statement about never thinking that the lava could go underground and pop up nearby indicates a surprising lack of understanding regarding the nature of hazard zone 1, aka the rift zone, given that you have property near, or in, it.

All of Puna is in zone 1, 2 or 3, and none of it is safe from lava flows, regardless of topography.

Old 07-25-2018, 07:53 AM

10,567 posts, read 7,776,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Did they get completely obliterated? We stayed there for months, just loving the snorkeling, and I got tears in my eyes at the helicopter overview that seemed to show the whole subdivision being inundated.

This is just so sad.
Yes, and it all happened so quickly. The nicest part of the island is gone.

Old 07-26-2018, 08:35 PM

4,416 posts, read 4,913,377 times
This is a cross post from punaweb.org (similar named thread)

According to one East Hawaii realtor, the real estate market in Puna is red hot:

"We already had a housing shortage for quite some time, and it's gotten worse. We have a lack of inventory, a lack of supply, a great demand. We're seeing prices going up, sales happening faster, more multiple offers. Especially in housing under $400,000 dollars, that's the greatest demand. Anything around $300,000 dollars gets snapped up. We're talking how many hours is it on the market, versus days."

http://www.hawaiipublicradio.org/post/lava-s-real-estate-impact
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island