Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 06:18 PM

2,378 posts, read 1,315,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.magoo View Post
whatever,
but you made several posts over the last year or so, how you had a run in with a big local dude while you were vacationing in HI..
and how, when you come to retire in Hawai’i you will come packing all your Mainland guns and ordinance.

Several peeps, including me, a former LEO from NJ.. and much higher on the Law Enforcement food chain (NJ/ NY Fugitive Task Force) than a uniformed beat Cop like you,
told you to lose your bravado and leave your guns and NYC attitude behind if you move to Hawai’i.

I may be wrong, but I don't think you will ever move to to HI..you just like to talk..and talk.

IMO, If you ever do move to The Islands..you will sadly, be the square peg trying to fit in the round hole.
I never said I had a run in with anyone. I think someone else brought up a hypothetical. I did say I will bring my service weapon to Hawaii, after all Hawaii ranks #2 in gun ownership per capita in the US. Will I be walking around strapped, no. Like another poster said “it will be hard to carry a Glock while wearing board shorts.” See, I’m open minded, practical, and realistic. What that poster said made sense and opened my eyes to the impossibility to ever carry my service weapon around in Hawaii. I don’t even carry it now when off duty.

You are right, I’m just a uniformed beat cop. Many have given the ultimate sacrifice who wear the same exact uniform as I do. Though I’m just a beat cop and so were they, I will wear my uniform with pride knowing greater men and women who wore the same uniform gave it all. It is an honor and privilege to be a uniform beat cop.

Maybe I will be a round peg trying to fit into a square hole, maybe not. Maybe there will be an adjustment period where it will take a little time to acclimate. I have lived in a few different places and have adjusted. Maybe I will not adjust to Hawaii, maybe I will. Why not give it a shot and see what happens. What do we have to lose. There is nothing holding us back from moving as of now. Unless some life altering thing happens, we are Hawaii bound. It’s not really me who I’m worried about, it’s my wife. I’m more open and laid back. It is much easier for me to talk with new people and make friends than it is for my wife. Maybe she can smoke some trees when we move; that will loosen her up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2018, 06:44 PM

Quote:
See^
There you go again, blowing a lot of gas...talking about your favorite subject;.. YOU.
10 paragraphs ( if you parsed you post correctly and followed proper English sentence structure)

Please, stop with the 'brotherhood' and flag waving nonsense. It is so silly and self serving.

I put in 30 years 'on the job' and I am decorated up the arse with medals, citations, etc..by the State and Feds. they are in a drawer someplace @ Magoo manor.. May they rest in peace.

I am only mentioning it here to make a point to you...

let it go, Dude..when you retire..I did.

no one...I mean NO one.. will want to hear stories about your purported glory days.
If I can recall, you started, not me.

What stories? What glory days? You the one talking about medals, citations, and the erection of statues of you, not me. My award, my medals, and the erected statue of me will be deposited into my bank account the beginning of every month God willing.

Old 06-20-2018, 07:05 PM

2,481 posts, read 2,236,097 times
‘ you started it’

God, I haven't heard that since Elementary School.

Sigh

you must be a hoot @ parties.

you wore me down...

I quit...

magic trees is not going to help your poor wifes retinence,

Last edited by mr.magoo; 06-20-2018 at 07:14 PM..

Old 06-20-2018, 07:45 PM

Quote:
‘ you started it’

God, I haven't heard that since Elementary School.

Sigh

you must be a hoot @ parties.

you wore me down...

I quit...

magic trees is not going to help your poor wifes retinence,
Good, I can now get back to doing adult things.

I think you meant “renitence?” Auto correct doesn’t seem to always work on this site.

Would I be a hoot at a party? I wouldn’t know. I can’t remember. Lol.

Last edited by Nyfinestbxtf; 06-20-2018 at 08:15 PM..

Old 06-20-2018, 08:48 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,914,289 times
I’ll only say the odds are probably better to win powerball or mega millions than a NY (or east coast) cop to land a police officer job on the BI.

Old 06-20-2018, 08:52 PM

Mr Magoo: I have one more question for you? This is just coming from a nobody street cop, but when you get pulled over by a nobody trooper or city cop; do you pull out your US Marshal retired ID card? Imagine you were to get into a pissing match with that trooper. Who wins that battle 100% of the time? Who would win that battle if you were not retired?

What I’m not buying from you Mr Magoo is that you were ever a US Marshal. We have never gotten anything less than the best from you guys. True gentleman! Not to be mean, but you are a ****ing tool!!!!!

Last edited by Nyfinestbxtf; 06-20-2018 at 09:29 PM..

Old 06-20-2018, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I’ll only say the odds are probably better to win powerball or mega millions than a NY (or east coast) cop to land a police officer job on the BI.

Ha! Good thing I’m really not looking. Just was throwing that out there. I have checked their site for the last few years and every time it says paraphrasing “they are not currently taking applications.” As the saying goes in policing “20 is plenty.”

I am more along the thinking of opening up a shaved ice stand.

Old 06-20-2018, 09:18 PM

4,416 posts, read 4,906,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtinaka7 View Post
Hi,

I will be traveling and plan on staying on the big island for about 6 months. I work remotely online so I am able to travel freely. I have been to the big island before and got the impression that a car is needed to get around.

My budget to spend on a used car is between $2000-$4000 as I will be staying for a short period of time.

I have heard that cars are not well taken care of like they are on the mainland. What should I look out for when buying a used car from a private party off craigslist?.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
(In the following advice, I refer to the term "DMV" because it is universally accepted, yes, I know that Hawaii doesn't have a DMV, but rather separate tax- gouging bureaucracies for licensing and registrations... for real, the lady that does licenses works next to the lady who does registrations, if one line is 20 people deep and the other line has nobody in it, they are "not allowed" to help anybody in the other line.)

I bought 3 cars of off Craigslist on the BI, and I've sold a few.

1) The most important thing you need to know is that unlike most states, taxes follow the vehicle, not the owner. For example, if a vehicle's taxes are $150/year and the previous owner didn't pay them for 10 years, it will cost you $1500 to register the vehicle plus the other normal transfer fees. That would really suck if the vehicle was only worth $1000. The previous owner gets off scott free. For this reason, it is very important that you verify the documentation is accurate.

2) Craigslist listings lie about the vehicle age. I looked at 2 vehicles listed as 1997. Both of them were 1995. Different sellers.

3) If the title isn't completely clear, walk away. No... run away. Be aware that the first Friday of every month is furlough friday... the DMV is closed. Lots of sketchy vehicles with great prices are magically available for one day only each month. They are meeting a new potential buyer in 15 minutes! You can check with the DMV if you don't believe the paperwork! Oh wait, they are CLOSED? (surprised looks) (Its been a few years since I've bought on Craigslist, maybe the DMV hours have changed).

4) If "plates are in storage", prepare to walk away from the deal. In Hawaii one can suspend paying their vehicle tax by turning in their license plates to the DMV. These plates are referred to as "in storage". It means that the vehicle isn't legal to drive and the seller will have some potentially made-up story on why this has happened, but you can go to the DMV and check to see how much it will cost to get the plates out of storage, magically, probably on the first Friday of the month, the only day the vehicle will be for sale!

5) No current safety sticker? Run away. Sprint if you're able. Don't go on the sticker alone, there is a paper certificate that goes with it. There are shady mechanics who give out shady stickers to shady people. If the car doesn't have a sticker something beyond shady is going on.

6) Auntie gave the car to me, you can see on the title where she signed it. It's safe I promise <--- This actually happened to me and it worked out. I told her to go get the title transferred into her name and call me when it was complete and I would buy her truck. She did. I did. We both lived happily ever after.

Distrust, and verify.

Last edited by terracore; 06-20-2018 at 09:31 PM.. Reason: city data keeps adding ridiculous extra carriage returns for no reason

Old 06-20-2018, 11:21 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,164,671 times
I would add to become familiar with what is required to pass the safety inspection. Tires worn? You're likely going to need a new set to pass.
Also, be aware some shops have interesting rules for passing safety. Kailua Honda wouldn't pass my wife's Honda Civic as it didn't have oem Honda branded windshield wipers. They wanted over $50 to replace the brand new ones that were on it. I walked out laughing loudly and drove around the corner to Lex Bodies where it passed just fine.

Old 06-21-2018, 07:31 AM

2,481 posts, read 2,236,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
There is always a possibilty of a landing a Security job at Costco...as lobg as you don’t blow the job by eating all the sample foods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: