Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 11:30 AM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,169,832 times

Advertisements

Thought I would ask this on here as maybe someone has some insight into the subject.

Since one of the downsides to solar is the issue with storage (ie needing a battery bank) has anyone toyed with the idea of having two catchment tanks and using solar to pump from a downhill tank to an elevated tank during the day and then at night, draining the elevated tank to the lower tank through a hydro electric turbine to produce power?
I figure someone is doing it, has tried it or run the calcs to figure out if it's even a feasible method.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2018, 04:59 PM

268 posts, read 384,461 times
I remembered reading about this years ago. It may have been this thread or another;

https://www.city-data.com/forum/big-i...generator.html

I did a little google search at the time and found small hydroelectric generators are out there and they have calculators for volume of water and the distance it needs to fall to get usable power. Something tells me that a few hours of catchment water in the evenings may not generate much, but could be wrong.

Old 08-08-2018, 07:29 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,074,683 times
Yup, power storage is the biggest problem with PV systems and one HELCO is having problems with as well. They're getting a lot of PV folks now with loads of daytime power, but most power use is evenings and nights so PV doesn't help there.

I think it's one PSI per foot of elevation minus any line losses, if you're doing rough calculations.

An engineer was talking once about some sort of ice to power thing, where water was frozen during the day and somehow the energy of freezing was gotten out of it at night. I forget the details, but the water lift sounds a lot more feasible.

Old 08-08-2018, 09:02 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,169,832 times
Just thinking that if you had NG/Propane for cooking and clothes dryer, and had led lighting and other energy efficient appliances, nighttime electric needs could be minimal and therefore the output needs of such a system would be minimal.

Old 08-08-2018, 09:44 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,954,235 times
What is the downside to batteries - aren't the new batteries by Tesla supposed to be good. If I read the literature correctly, 2 powerwalls have enough energy for a 1,600 sq ft home with AC, they only run about $12,000 for the pair. From the picture, they don't even look very large.

Old 08-09-2018, 01:17 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,074,683 times
Batteries don't last all that long and have to be changed out occasionally. Pumping water up and running a hydroelectric generator from the falling water should - in theory anyway - not produce as much waste.

Old 08-09-2018, 02:39 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,954,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Batteries don't last all that long and have to be changed out occasionally.
The Tesla batteries have a 10 year warranty

Old 08-10-2018, 09:41 PM

4,415 posts, read 4,930,644 times
The cheapest way to store solar power is with flooded lead acid batteries (like golf cart batteries). That is not to say it's the BEST way, just the cheapest way. These batteries require maintenance and if not performed can crap up a battery array in no time.

Pumping water uphill to be used for downhill power generation later doesn't past the math test for solar power. It works with fission reactors but they have completely different economies of scale.

"The Tesla batteries have a 10 year warranty"

I would be surprised if you could even get one purchased and installed here, and with the impending SEC investigation, no guarantee there will be a company in 10 years to fulfill such a warranty. Tesla batteries are a lot of hype, but not a lot of market availability.

The only non-battery power storage I've discovered in my research for solar power involves electrolysis on salt water (the DC format of solar panels is already setup for this) and harvesting and storing the resulting hydrogen, and then passing it through a fuel cell to produce electricity when there is no sunlight. It's been done for at least 30 years, is much more efficient than converting sunlight to electricity converted to mechanical energy, and then converted back into mechanical energy to convert back into electricity again (the water pumping idea... most of the energy is lost in conversions of energy). But electrolysis and fuel cell units aren't exactly "off the shelf".

Maybe it's a great idea, but since Musk can't patent 100 year old technologies, don't expect to find it on Amazon anytime soon.

Old 08-11-2018, 06:33 PM

406 posts, read 867,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
The cheapest way to store solar power is with flooded lead acid batteries (like golf cart batteries). That is not to say it's the BEST way, just the cheapest way. These batteries require maintenance and if not performed can crap up a battery array in no time.

Pumping water uphill to be used for downhill power generation later doesn't past the math test for solar power. It works with fission reactors but they have completely different economies of scale.

"The Tesla batteries have a 10 year warranty"

I would be surprised if you could even get one purchased and installed here, and with the impending SEC investigation, no guarantee there will be a company in 10 years to fulfill such a warranty. Tesla batteries are a lot of hype, but not a lot of market availability.

The only non-battery power storage I've discovered in my research for solar power involves electrolysis on salt water (the DC format of solar panels is already setup for this) and harvesting and storing the resulting hydrogen, and then passing it through a fuel cell to produce electricity when there is no sunlight. It's been done for at least 30 years, is much more efficient than converting sunlight to electricity converted to mechanical energy, and then converted back into mechanical energy to convert back into electricity again (the water pumping idea... most of the energy is lost in conversions of energy). But electrolysis and fuel cell units aren't exactly "off the shelf".

Maybe it's a great idea, but since Musk can't patent 100 year old technologies, don't expect to find it on Amazon anytime soon.

Ummm check out https://www.greencarreports.com/news...rgy-for-hawaii for info on Kaui's Tesla energy bank. Maybe someone in Kaui can give us a on-site report.

There is some information on Tesla Powerwall for home use at https://www.energysage.com/solar/sol...-home-battery/ .

Of course you can build your own Powerwall typ battery system. See
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bk50IuWXg-c . There are companies making battery connectors that eliminate soldering or welding cells together. See https://vruzend.com/ for one example.

Note that I have not done this myself - yet but it's an interesting alternative to lead acid batteries.

Remember "Google is your friend".

Mickey

Old 08-11-2018, 07:02 PM

4,415 posts, read 4,930,644 times
I think it's great that it's delivering electricity at "only" three times the cost of the mainland. Unfortunately, this technology has not yet intersected with the real economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island