Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 12:42 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,663,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alohabeagle View Post
I found a rental in Discovery Harbor and will be arriving the last week of December. Looking forward to life on the big island!

Check in at the office when you get here. There's a lot of stuff going on!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2018, 07:00 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,275,715 times
Congratulations on the job offer! There’s always risk in changing jobs. Sometimes it improves your life, sometimes it turns out to be s mistske that you later regret. What kind of work will you be doing in Naalehu? I’m guessing that there aren’t many employers in that area. That’s a very rural and isolated place, at least an hour drive to most shopping areas. The drive towards Hilo would be easier. We thought that the drive to Kona was pretty stressful with all the twisting roads.

Old 10-25-2018, 09:27 AM

65 posts, read 69,163 times
I'll admit to being very curious as to the job myself. I planned to move to Naalehu area sometime in the future, but always figured remote IT work was my only option. Being an engineer who wants to live in Kau seems like a bad idea.

Yeah, that road to Kona twice a day everyday would be crazy. Met a guy at the airport who does it. No thanks.

Managing a small farm perhaps?

Old 10-25-2018, 10:23 AM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,162,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobanion View Post
I'll admit to being very curious as to the job myself. I planned to move to Naalehu area sometime in the future, but always figured remote IT work was my only option. Being an engineer who wants to live in Kau seems like a bad idea.

Yeah, that road to Kona twice a day everyday would be crazy. Met a guy at the airport who does it. No thanks.

When I used to fly weekly for work, I sat next to a guy who worked at Microsoft in Redmond, WA. He lived in Eldorado Hills, CA. And would get up around 2:00 monday-Thursday to drive to the airport, fly to Seattle and then drive to his office just to have to reverse commute in the PM.
He stated that the money was good enough for him to pull that routine for at least a few more years.

Worst commute I think I ever heard of.

Old 10-25-2018, 12:48 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,663,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobanion View Post

Yes, working remotely is the best choice. Once in a while there are jobs at the credit union, hardware store, etc., and also at a place called Pacific Quest. And there are people who live here who work in both Kona and Hilo and some even at the resorts north of Kona. And vice versa -- the police officers get rotated around to different stations so there are officers here in Ka'u who live in Volcano Village, Keaau, and even further east.

Some people just do what they have to do to make ends meet. I wouldn't like to do the drive to Kona every day because that's three fours round trip every day just commuting. We've gotten used to the drive itself, although I would much rather do the drive to Hilo.

Old 10-25-2018, 07:43 PM

8 posts, read 5,318 times
No long commute for me! I am a nurse practitioner and will be providing primary care at Bay Clinic in Naalehu. My background is in emergency medicine, urgent care and family practice. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll be sure to check in at the DH community center. I'm so looking forward to serving this rural community and enjoying all the big island has to offer.

Mahalo,
Stephanie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island