Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 01:59 PM

2 posts, read 2,211 times

Advertisements

So I am moving to hawaii July 2019. Now I am looking for affordable housing... Rent to own? Just rent? Where should I go? Looking for something a little under a thousand. I have a service dog... best area for dogs? I want all of the scoop! Will be going to school eventually after becoming a resident. It will be me, my boyfriend and my dog. Minimal is okay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2018, 02:36 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,161,875 times
A little under a thousand either puts you in a pretty rough rental or in an outlying area such as Oceanview or Puna. Until you provide more specifics regarding where you do or don't want to live, it's hard to give any meaningful input.

What school? UH Hilo? An extension? HELCO Lineman? Culinary Cannibal Institute?
Are you attending physical classes where a long commute would be an issue?
This is the type of info folks will need to start chiming in.

Old 09-25-2018, 02:39 PM

2 posts, read 2,211 times
I have no preference and don’t mind seclusion or a rough rental as long as it’s livable. Looking close to colleges or within 45 minutes of one

Old 09-25-2018, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedmainlander View Post
I have no preference and don’t mind seclusion or a rough rental as long as it’s livable. Looking close to colleges or within 45 minutes of one
I dare say that the island may very well challenge your interpretation of "liveable".

I have seen single room, open-air coffee shacks rented out for nearly a grand (envision a dilapidated storage shed with 4 screened walls and maybe some plumbing).
Then again, in some of the more remote areas (1-1.5 hours drive to Kailu or Hilo) you might find a decent little 3/2 for that amount.
See if you can join some of the local Facebook pages, a lot of rentals get listed on them and you can can start getting an idea of what'she available.

Old 09-25-2018, 02:49 PM

If you look into FB pages, search Buy Sell Trade pages formulates like Kona, Hilo, Waimea, Puna & Oceanview.

Old 09-25-2018, 03:56 PM

959 posts, read 1,214,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassyknoll View Post
I dare say that the island may very well challenge your interpretation of "liveable".
Hahaha ... this is an understated truth that has to be seen to believed.

Old 09-25-2018, 04:10 PM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedmainlander View Post
The colleges are in Hilo, and you won't find any conventional rental in that general vicinity for the figure given. Probably won't find an unconventional one either.

Your budget will get you a crude shack in Puna, which would be on the outer limits of that distance.

Old 09-25-2018, 05:12 PM

172 posts, read 146,131 times
I'll add almost no one rents to people with pets. If there are 30 available units you would be incredibly lucky to find one who will rent to you. If they do they will charge extra rent and deposit or it will be that shack in the jungle will centipedes and cockroaches so big you will end up naming them like they were roommates.

Old 09-25-2018, 06:11 PM

181 posts, read 175,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molokai100 View Post
I'll add almost no one rents to people with pets. If there are 30 available units you would be incredibly lucky to find one who will rent to you. If they do they will charge extra rent and deposit or it will be that shack in the jungle will centipedes and cockroaches so big you will end up naming them like they were roommates.

The OP Did say they had a service animal. If that’s the case and it’s not just an ESA, they should be able to find something to rent because under the Federal housing law, a service animal is not considered a pet. The landlord cannot charge additional rent, security deposit, etc. for a service animal. However that does not apply to a homeowner that is renting their own house. However if the homeowner uses a broker to handle the rental they must comply with federal housing laws.

Old 09-25-2018, 08:29 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
As far as the dog, well, the law says that landlords can't discriminate against - add in the whole list of things here - but when it comes down to it, they can choose someone else and not have to say why they didn't pick you.

Start the process now to get the permit to bring the dog over. That can take months for the paperwork to get processed. Here's the web page with details on that: Animal Industry Division | Guide & Service Dogs Entering Hawaii They mention on the webpage what is considered to be a service dog and what isn't for the purposes of importing them under the 'service dog' rules. Otherwise, they will be under the general quarantine rules which are a bit stricter, I think.

Since you'll be going to school after you become a resident and it takes a year to become a resident, doesn't it? So for your first year's rental, you can be off in the boonies somewhere with less expensive rents. You may be able to find somewhere in your price range if it isn't required to be near a university. Once you're here, then you'll be able to look around and find a better place when you start school.

Do you know which school you're planning to attend? Check for rentals as close to there if you know so you'll be able to start making friends that you'll be able to keep once you start school. If you land in Kona and then go to school later in Hilo, you won't see your new friends very often anymore since it's too far to drive very often just for a visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island