Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2018, 02:37 PM

10 posts, read 7,581 times

Advertisements

Looking to build a container home up in FFVE. Anyone know a good, cheap architect in the Hilo area that's ready to take on this sort of project?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2018, 08:59 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,035,149 times
Draw it up yourself and have it stamped by an engineer. You can also pull an 'owner builder' permit and do everything except the electrical and plumbing.

Old 09-27-2018, 11:19 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,164,671 times
You can also check these guys out as they seem to be a build-to-suit container house company.
Full disclosure, I don't know anything about them, so do your due diligence.
Affordable Portable Alternative Housing & Energy Systems Hawaii

Old 09-28-2018, 01:00 AM

4,412 posts, read 4,906,711 times
I contacted the above mentioned company on Oahu a few years ago. They aren't really motivated or equipped for any jobs on the Big Island.

Old 09-28-2018, 01:08 AM

Infrastructure costs (septic, driveway, power, etc.) are gonna be the same whether it's containers or stick built, not sure if you're gonna save any money using containers to build with. They're pretty expensive around here.

Old 09-28-2018, 09:47 AM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,164,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
I contacted the above mentioned company on Oahu a few years ago. They aren't really motivated or equipped for any jobs on the Big Island.
Good to know, thanks terracore!

Old 09-28-2018, 11:38 AM

I think my first answer was a little abrupt, but let's fill in a little background info on various house construction methods on this island. There are a lot of folks who want to build with a variety of 'non-standard' construction methods, although frequently they don't realize that conditions here on the island are sometimes radically different where the methods are successfully used.

The first question would be "why, do you want to build a house out of containers?" From the answer to that question, then folks may be able to give better advice.

Frequently, folks want to use containers because it is perceived as a less expensive method of building. It may or may not be, depending on what you're building. If you want an agricultural storage building and you're building on ag zoned land, you could most likely legally build your storage building for less money using containers. Ag storage buildings of a certain size don't need permits and don't have to follow the current building codes, although there are some rules they do have to follow. So, set your containers, put up a few rafters and some roofing, draw it on a plot plan and then get it permitted at the planning department. Note: due to the climate and how fast containers rust, you'll probably want to put a roof over them, which is why it was mentioned. Also, you'll probably want really big eaves to keep the sun off the sides or they will be like solar cookers.

HOWEVER, the OP used the words "container home" so the storage building on ag lands doesn't apply. There are a lot of basic construction costs that are going to remain the same, no matter what construction methods are used. Grading & grubbing, driveway construction, septic system installation & power service costs are all going to remain the same no matter what construction methods are used for the dwelling. So when comparing construction costs, look to see what parts of the construction the container actually replaces.

For a dwelling unit, the rules to follow are the 2006 International Residential Code as amended by Hawaii County. Look up in there for minimum room dimensions as well as air & ventilation requirements. There will also be wall bracing requirements and you'll need a structural engineer to sign off since you're not following a 'prescriptive wall method' for your braced walls.

Another thing would perhaps be to find out how much containers in Hawaii cost. There have been some folks who have wanted to build straw bale houses because they believed it would be a less expensive method of construction. When they found out the cost of straw bales in Hawaii, the plans immediately changed.

Old 09-28-2018, 11:15 PM

10 posts, read 7,581 times
Maybe I should've been a tad more specific in my original post. I'm going large, with three stories along with an engineered truss roof for a 4th floor deck (for solar, herb garden, hot tub, views, etc.). Figure 3200 sq. ft. for living space with a ground floor garage.

Here's my basic concept:

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/mod...ontainer-house

Imagine that with a 10' verandah around the 2nd & 3rd floors. Hardi-panel siding on the outside with drywall inside. Thinking of leaving one interior wall uncovered so folks would see it's actually built of containers. Off grid, so electrical's not an issue. Driveway is 60% done with a couple loads of 3"< cinder to deliver yet. Buster's coming in next week to level out a few spots of high basalt.

Figuring on about $100k to get the shell enclosed and livable.

Old 09-29-2018, 09:03 AM

10,561 posts, read 7,763,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeckSpawn View Post
Maybe I should've been a tad more specific in my original post. I'm going large, with three stories along with an engineered truss roof for a 4th floor deck (for solar, herb garden, hot tub, views, etc.). Figure 3200 sq. ft. for living space with a ground floor garage.

Here's my basic concept:

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/mod...ontainer-house

Imagine that with a 10' verandah around the 2nd & 3rd floors. Hardi-panel siding on the outside with drywall inside. Thinking of leaving one interior wall uncovered so folks would see it's actually built of containers. Off grid, so electrical's not an issue. Driveway is 60% done with a couple loads of 3"< cinder to deliver yet. Buster's coming in next week to level out a few spots of high basalt.

Figuring on about $100k to get the shell enclosed and livable.
In Fern Forest? Holy Smokes, that'll be like the Taj Mahal up there. Please share photos as the work progresses.

Old 09-29-2018, 03:58 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,906,711 times
"The first question would be "why, do you want to build a house out of containers?" From the answer to that question, then folks may be able to give better advice."

I've posted this before and I don't want to sound like a broken record but I don't expect people to necessarily research old posts either. I've owned a 40' and currently a 20' container and did exhaustive internet research on building with and modifying containers. What I discovered is that the money you spend overcoming their limitations is greater than the cost incurred by not using them in the first place.

There are exceptions of course. As Hotcatz pointed out they are perfect, instant storage buildings. We use ours to store livestock feed and supplies. But I wouldn't want to live in it, and it would be cheaper to use any other building method than to retrofit it for living. Likewise, if you bought one that was already modified for living, while it might cost more than building something similarly sized on-site, it is available to live in immediately, and that has financial value in some situations. There are other exceptions, for example if you get the shipping containers for free, or some other incredible bargain. But based on current market prices, they are a good value for storage, but not a good value in creating indoor living space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island