Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 11:26 AM

32 posts, read 32,322 times

Advertisements

Aloha friends,
This island has been wonderful and welcoming. I’m loving living here!! Just a few questions, How does everyone receive amazon prime packages? I tried to order and they sent it back to the sender. Do all my packages need to go to my P.O. Box? Also, how do you get onto nextdoor.com forum? All my billing addresses are my P.O. Box and they can’t verify my street address. I didn’t realize it would be difficult to get these things in place! Yikes! 😕also, does anyone have a good fence person? I need a fence built for my house.
Mahalo!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2018, 11:53 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,668,226 times
I can't remember where you ended up.

The addressing in Hawaii is strange. Each district has its own two number prefix, then there's a dash, then your house number. I am 96-9004 Makaliki Street, for example (not really but I'm not posting my address here). In our rural area, we do not get mail delivered to our house, so my mailing address is my post office box. I'm not on Amazon Prime, but I do get Amazon packages delivered to the p.o. box.

It all depends on the vendor and which method they use. Some send UPS, which ends up getting delivered to the USPS (and thus the p.o. box). Sometimes I start with the p.o. box, and then if that isn't accepted I change to the street address to see what method of delivery they use. Sometimes I add the four digit extension to the zip code -- and make the four digits my p.o. box (0123 for example). So that if they mail to the street address, the post office will know whose p.o. box it goes to.

The problem with the addressing is that a lot of computer systems don't recognize the address with a dash. If it is a FedEx or UPS delivery, I just use 9004 Makaliki Street because with the town and zip code they know where my street is. Sometimes I use 969004 as the address.

It is all very confusing. Because of where we live, we order a lot of things on-line. It gets to be a game where their computer says they don't recognize my address. Sometimes the computer doesn't even like my street name.

Old 10-17-2018, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
I can't remember where you ended up.

The addressing in Hawaii is strange. Each district has its own two number prefix, then there's a dash, then your house number. I am 96-9004 Makaliki Street, for example (not really but I'm not posting my address here). In our rural area, we do not get mail delivered to our house, so my mailing address is my post office box. I'm not on Amazon Prime, but I do get Amazon packages delivered to the p.o. box.

It all depends on the vendor and which method they use. Some send UPS, which ends up getting delivered to the USPS (and thus the p.o. box). Sometimes I start with the p.o. box, and then if that isn't accepted I change to the street address to see what method of delivery they use. Sometimes I add the four digit extension to the zip code -- and make the four digits my p.o. box (0123 for example). So that if they mail to the street address, the post office will know whose p.o. box it goes to.

The problem with the addressing is that a lot of computer systems don't recognize the address with a dash. If it is a FedEx or UPS delivery, I just use 9004 Makaliki Street because with the town and zip code they know where my street is. Sometimes I use 969004 as the address.

It is all very confusing. Because of where we live, we order a lot of things on-line. It gets to be a game where their computer says they don't recognize my address. Sometimes the computer doesn't even like my street name.
Aloha Dreaming of Hawaii,

We ended up in Keaau's HPP with a fixer upper house and beautiful fruit trees. That's good to know about the address system, yes it's a little confusing. I guess I'll try sending my amazon packages to the PO BOX first and hopefully, the post office doesn't get mad about my giant boxes being sent in there! THANK YOU!!!!

Old 10-17-2018, 03:06 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,163,800 times
We have Amazon Prime and sometimes will need to use several addresses to get one it will accept.
I have been told you can even use the actual street address of your post office (box) facility to get it delivered to your po box. Might be worth trying with an unimportant item.

Old 10-17-2018, 04:32 PM

404 posts, read 1,245,184 times
Not sure if it would help but you might try to use the option to edit your address (in your Amazon acct. info) and add as much information as possible to explain the situation. It worked for me, though not in HI.

Old 10-17-2018, 06:16 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,028,301 times
Try ask your post office, they're pretty good about knowing how to get packages shipped here. And you could try calling UPS & FedEx and ask them how the best way to list your address would be.

We have a challenge because even though we live in the middle of town, our street never got an official name. So as far as the newspaper, FedEx, UPS and Google Street Maps, we don't exist.

Wait until someone tells you they won't ship to a foreign country.

Old 10-17-2018, 11:08 PM

This forum is invaluable. There are many island in’s and outs to figure out! I’m very grateful for you peeps.

Old 10-18-2018, 08:23 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,902,551 times
For amazon, use your post office street address. That way you can also get FedEx and UPS packages delivered to your PO Box. This is necessary because when you order something from Amazon you have no idea which method they are going to use to ship it.

There is a form you are supposed to fill out first because a postal employee needs to sign for your UPS/FedEx packages sometimes.

Here's the link to the form:

https://ribbs.usps.gov/mtcsa/documen...rAgreement.pdf

If you setup an account with FedEx and UPS you can have your packages re-routed after Amazon ships them. Like to your house instead of the PO box for example.

If you get a FedEx / UPS shipment to your PO box, it may not be available on the day the tracking info says it will be. For example if FedEx says it will be delivered on Wednesday, it actually doesn't get delivered to the PO facility until Thursday, and the PO does not make it available for pickup until Friday. So it takes an extra 2 days to get your stuff. The upside is that the FedEx and UPS packages don't arrived all banged up like the ones shipped USPS.

Old 10-18-2018, 08:48 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,902,551 times
Regarding your fencing question, unfortunately I cannot recommend any of the companies we got quotes through, but I can give you some warnings on how the business operates here. They typically do not provide you with a real price estimate with a breakdown of supplies and labor. Instead they come up with a "price per foot" for the entire job, which in our experience was practically robbery. I think most of the quotes were like $8 per foot for field (cheap livestock) fencing. Mind you the fence if I buy it myself on sale at the time was around 50 cents per foot and one $8 galvanized T-post every 10 feet comes out to $264 for the posts and $165 for the fence for a 330 foot fence run, or about $429 in materials. At $8 per foot they wanted $2,640.00 for the job. So at that rate it would cost about $20k for a cheap field fence on a 3 acre spag lot. None of these quotes included the cost of getting the fence line marked by a surveyor or getting the lot line cleared for the fence! No thanks.

If you get any quotes, ask for a breakdown of cost versus materials. You might want to be your own fencing contractor, hiring somebody to make the fence post holes, setting the posts yourself is not difficult. If you can't string the fence up yourself that's another job you can hire a handy person to do.

One of our lots was previously fenced, but they used non galvanized posts and the acidic rain made them melt prematurely, so I'm having to replace them with galvanized posts. It's not actually that hard using a battery operated hammer drill with a 1.5" masonry bit to drill a post hole into the lava rock and then set the post with a few tablespoons of concrete or anchor cement.

Old 10-18-2018, 09:06 PM

11,159 posts, read 7,961,718 times
Check and see if they have an Amazon Locker near you location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island