Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2018, 09:11 AM

10,916 posts, read 7,424,551 times

Advertisements

A long-time friend, neighbor, and physician on the Big Island is trying to improve health care in Hawaii. I know her personally and can attest to her honesty and dedication. Her current office is near the Hilo library, and she's building a new clinic on Ponahawai.

Here's her story:

Dear friends - please help me spread the word. The insurance companies (mostly one) are running doctors out of Hawaii, especially the outer islands. It has always been a bit rough, but it's gotten very bad over the last 2 years. For me in particular, the insurance company has targeted my practice because I've spoken out against some of the poor payment practices, both locally and nationally.
I'd like help making some information known about the physician shortage, physician payments and the healthcare crisis here in Hilo and Hawaii because I can't keep standing alone. Please take a moment to read my post, share it and if you can contribute in any way, I offer my thanks now. If anyone has a rich uncle who is willing to make donations to our GoFundMe, please share this with him or if you feel so moved, any donation will help.
Family Health Blog
https://www.gofundme.com/hilo-clinic-in-crisis

Mahalos,
Michelle

Read her blog and the gofundme page for more information, then share it with others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2018, 10:59 PM

10,916 posts, read 7,424,551 times
Even if you can't donate, it would help if you can get the word out to others. Post on Facebook, forums, tell your friends...

Old 12-04-2018, 05:42 PM

65 posts, read 87,205 times
The insurance company is HSMA most likely. It pays less than what medicaid pays in some of the states in the mainland. They changed reimbursement the last few years pitting primary care doctors against each other to get as many patients as possible making all the docs compete each other. They compete to take the least cut in pay.

we just lost one primary care doc over this a few months back in an area that does not have nearly enough doctors.

I guess HMSA believes if there are no doctors then they will not have to pay anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: