Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 08:14 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,897,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
stay in hotels or Airbnb if you're only there 60 days a year. it will be much cheaper

Second this advice. For reasons already mentioned, you don't want to leave anything unattended in Hawaii for 10 months out of the year without a caretaker.

There are virtually no RVs here. I have heard differing reasons why, the #1 being that the climate and insects take their toll. There are no RV dealers here, and nowhere to get them serviced, no RV parks, and no place that I'm aware of to legally dispose of their waste. I see less than 1 RV on average per year, always with out of state plates, and then I never see it again. I don't know where they go to die. Occasionally I see RVs for sale on Craigslist, but I've never seen one that runs or is in anything other than poor condition.

What fills the RV niche? Retired tour buses:

https://honolulu.craigslist.org/big/...749957539.html

(above link will be obsolete soon, nothing I can do about that, but its a link for used tour buses for sale).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2018, 03:06 AM

69 posts, read 76,918 times
I considered bringing my RV here too, and rent it out to others. I did not bring it because I th8nk it would have rotted out or filled with mold and mildew. This is the wrong climate, especially if you are going to leave it in the jungle to rot. The jungle may grow and cover it up while you are gone. Then think about the termites, and getting into your bed the first night and finding fire ants. There is a person at the corner of First and Paradise in Hawaiian Paradise Park that has a class A motor home set up under a brick type of open air shelter, with a roof. He has a very attractive rock wall surounding his acre, and it looks like a few permanent rooms in the shelter. He seems to live there full time, and most have come up with someway to manage the sewage. This is a very fancy neighborhood down by the ocean in Puna, there are other areas where there is a lot more crime. I would not leave a house unattended in an isolated cheap lot. But a nice ocean front lot and build a lava rock wall and a big gate, and get someone to stay in it to care for it, and you will probably be fine. If you do what to dump the sewage, there is a place near the airport that you can do that.

Old 12-21-2018, 09:19 AM

25 posts, read 48,684 times
Good thoughts guys. I have made a reservation to stay in a Yurt for 2 weeks to see how I like it. If I do I may rent one for a few months and set it up in my own backyard to see how I feel about taking it up and down and spending large amounts of time in it.
Would a small home (just big enough to pass ordinances) be less likely to have theft damage on the Kona side?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island