Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 08:20 AM

25 posts, read 48,684 times

Advertisements

I am considering buying a cheap lot to put a camper on. I would use this to vacation in. Do I need any special permissions to do so? I would like to eventually build a structure as cheap as possible to put the camper in when not being used. But that won't happen for a few years.

Last edited by KawaiiHawaii; 12-11-2018 at 09:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2018, 12:48 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,662,406 times
Any place that has a homeowner's association would not let you do that. But, the really cheap lots probably aren't in an HOA.

But then if you are talking really cheap the other thing you would need to be concerned about would be theft. Lots of problems with theft in Puna as well as Ocean View in Ka'u, so you may not have anything left when you return.

How would you handle your waste water?

Old 12-11-2018, 02:30 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,897,957 times
You don't find RV's in Hawaii as many find it cost prohibitive to ship.

Anyway, lets pretend you have one and you want to live it on it on your land.

Well, I'd encourage you to visit the zoning office, but it is my understanding, that once you live on a mobile home on the BI over 30 days (a RV will be considered a mobile home) - then you are subject to all the zoning requirements of a single family residence. The first problem with that is an RV (and typical mobile home/trailer) won't meet minimum width requirements in a residential area.

Old 12-11-2018, 02:41 PM

Id prefer to have a pump out service but would be willing to put in a permanent solution such as an off-grid bathhouse or even a septic system. I would like to keep things as basic as possible. I would be in Hawaii on and off for about 60 days a year. I had looked into storing the camper but could not find a company that could do this outside of Oahu.

Old 12-11-2018, 03:10 PM

Hopefully Hotzcatz will jump in here. Very knowledgeable about the building codes in Hawaii.

So you would empty your waste into a holding tank and have that pumped? Sounds really expensive. Maybe look into using a composting toilet. A septic system is going to cost over $10,000, so not an inexpensive option.

Agree with WV about campers or RVs on the BI. I think I've seen maybe five in the eight years I've been here. Expensive to ship over and just not a viable option for a dwelling unit. I think you'd be better off just building a tiny home.

I think the days of alternative housing here are drawing to a close. You may still find hidden away places, but the County is really cracking down.

Old 12-11-2018, 04:41 PM

Good to know.
I had thought about a tiny home but I had read it was difficult to get a permit for such.
example.

I was thinking RV as I already have a top of the line one and was hoping to ship or sell it and buy one of lesser quality on the island.

Im really looking to (as much as I hate this word) Glamp lol. Better then camping but dont feel the need to own a home im not going to be in much and have no plan to rent out to others.

Last edited by Yac; 11-20-2020 at 02:41 AM..

Old 12-11-2018, 06:15 PM

Well, as far as permits for tiny homes, I always tell people to go to the source. Just call the building department and ask. You might also look at the recent thread here from someone wanting to build a tiny home in Miloli`i. Some good advice there.

If you want to know the cost to ship an RV, then call either Matson or Pasha. They both ship to Hawaii.

If you are interested in buying an RV on the BI, then browse through Craigslist. I just looked through the Craigslist for the BI and there aren't any listed. Looked at Craigslist for Oahu and found two. You'd still need to pay for shipping to the BI. Are you seeing a pattern here?

I'm not really sure if you've done much research into this idea. There may be better places on the mainland for you to try this out. Maybe the San Luis Valley in Colorado?

Old 12-12-2018, 12:43 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,017,648 times
There are pump out facilities for RVs around here? There's not really much support for RVs on the island, probably because there are so few of them. Maybe there's one somewhere, I've not looked, but haven't seen one anywhere. (a pump out station, I've seen two or maybe even three RVs around here over the past several decades)

Pretty much any time you're 'dwelling' on the island, there's going to be a septic system. There's very few areas serviced by any sewer systems and cesspools were outlawed in most if not all areas several years ago, so that limits it to septic systems. Even with a composting toilet, I think (verify this, though, I could be wrong I've not looked for several years and these things do change) you still need a septic system for the gray water.

The whole 'tiny house' movement is really confusing a lot of folks. Folks somehow get the idea that it's not legal to make a small house, but it's already legal to build a very small house. They're called 'efficiency dwelling units'. They have to have one room of a certain size, I think it's around 220 square feet, then a closet and bath is added to the main room. Baths are usually about 5' x 8' which allows for the width of the tub and the required clearances around the toilet & sink. So, 220 sq ft main room + 40 sq ft bath & 10 sq ft (2.5' x 4') closet = approx. 270 sq feet? That's pretty small, how much smaller would anyone want?

There's also folks who want to build their first house on a property of less than 500 square feet so they can later do a 'change in use' and change it into a guest house and then build another main residence on the same lot. That lets them start small and have somewhere to live while building bigger, although I've also seen it where they get happy in the little house and never build bigger.

So, get the lot, put in a septic system, build a small 'residence' and later do a 'change in use' to make it into a guest house and build the house you want later. You can have up to six bedrooms, I think, on most septic systems, although some of that depends on the system. They generally come in two basic sizes.

If you get permits for the septic and efficiency dwelling unit, you'll be able to sell it later for probably more than it cost to build. Although for owner builder permits, you have to wait one year from when you get your final approval until you can sell it. But, with the permits in place, folks will be able to get bank financing and pay a lot more for it.

Although, if you really want an RV experience, I think the code changed several years ago to where mobile home parks are now allowed, although there was something about the required construction details of the mobile homes which was going to be problematical. I forget the details at the moment. It's still an upgrade from several years ago when they were outlawed entirely.

Old 12-12-2018, 08:44 AM

Great info. I am in no rush and have been slowly considering all options. For the last few years, I have been partially wintering in Kaneohe via rentals. I am 100 percent sure that I want to buy some type of property in Hawaii. On the big island, my budget goes much further. So that's appealing to me. Yes, I have been to visit a number of times. And fully understand the big island is very different from Oahu. I'm not looking for much just a warm place to sit and chill. Resale is a thought as I dont see myself being able to retire on the big island due to healthcare shortages. So at some point, I will need to sell. Im looking for a fairly stress-free dwelling. Simple to close up when not in use. I would like to go off the grid as much as possible but still have a nice looking property.

Old 12-13-2018, 02:26 AM

172 posts, read 146,183 times
I dont mean to rain on your parade. A lot of what you are seeking is doable. A small, off-grid cabin on a cheap lot on the Big Island. But...and this is a big but, being there only a few months of the year is a recipe for failure. As was mentioned theft will be a huge concern. When the wrong people find out you are gone for months your building materials and off-grid stuff will be gone soon as well. Not only that but unless your lot is in a lava field or similarly arid area the jungle will soon overtake whatever you cleared before and you will come back to a huge job. You will need to pay someone to fight the jungle for you and not only will that become expensive it will also introduce the wrong people to your sanctuary to rob you blind.

One possible solution is building two dwellings and find a caretaker for the property. This is fraught with so many negative possibilities I won't go into it. It seems the best solution is finding the place you want or need to retire and build there. Visit and vacation here. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island