Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2019, 03:09 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,038,603 times

Advertisements

FWIW, and to get back to perhaps the question at hand and not the current kerfluffle, there isn't a cultural bias towards "inbreeding" on the islands. At least, among the common folks. High royalty had different customs. Historically speaking, in Polynesia, it was considered a very good and very desirable thing if you had offspring with someone not from your island.

However, folks frequently like to keep within their cultural groups when selecting a mate, perhaps just because then they'll get someone who will enjoy the same kinds of food. Since the islands have historically had a fairly small group of particular cultures, then it would be quite common for cousins to marry and their kids would look quite similar. Anything closer than second cousins was usually frowned on.

I'm also guessing the OP's eye may not be attuned to the differences between folks of the different cultures here yet. Some folks have a hard time telling Chinese from Japanese and Japanese from Okinawans or Tongans from Samoans, etc. I'd have a hard time telling some of the Europeans groups apart because I'm not accustomed to them. To me, a person from Norway would probably look a lot like someone from Sweden since I've had very little contact with either group. So perhaps the OP is grouping more of a varied type of people together than he may think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2019, 04:09 PM

4,336 posts, read 1,555,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
Well said. So there could be no dialogue on this topic. No questions asked or answered because there are people offended by the mere reality of incest. With such an atmosphere what can be taught? What knowledge can be shared and gained? It’s a sad world we live in when hypersensitivity has taken over. We may as well be a society of mindless drones.

Very true. The criticism of someone who happens to be a minority is now considered racism. So it is not so much the content of our actions or what we say that can be deemed racist like for instance saying the “N” word, but who we are. So if I’m a white Christian male who supports Trump, I’m a racist for something I can’t change. That is who I am. It doesn’t matter I have never said a racist thing in my entire life. The fact that I’m a white male makes me a racist. This is dangerous ground we are entering. This is what the left has done.
Yes, the left has indeed fabricated this set of circumstances for a reason, i.e. to increase their power and control over the people, many of whom can be silenced by weaponized PC. To make things more intolerable, intellectual pipsqueaks chime in, completely blind as to how they have been owned by a movement that will someday rule over them.

I have to admit, though, that I too am offended. Offended at the fact that my nation, the greatest, free-est, most-just, most-prosperous enterprise to grace the planet is being whittled-down bit-by-bit by people who don't have enough stuffing inside them to build an adobe brick, much less a great nation.

Old 07-26-2019, 04:17 PM

2,378 posts, read 1,316,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
FWIW, and to get back to perhaps the question at hand and not the current kerfluffle, there isn't a cultural bias towards "inbreeding" on the islands. At least, among the common folks. High royalty had different customs. Historically speaking, in Polynesia, it was considered a very good and very desirable thing if you had offspring with someone not from your island.

However, folks frequently like to keep within their cultural groups when selecting a mate, perhaps just because then they'll get someone who will enjoy the same kinds of food. Since the islands have historically had a fairly small group of particular cultures, then it would be quite common for cousins to marry and their kids would look quite similar. Anything closer than second cousins was usually frowned on.

I'm also guessing the OP's eye may not be attuned to the differences between folks of the different cultures here yet. Some folks have a hard time telling Chinese from Japanese and Japanese from Okinawans or Tongans from Samoans, etc. I'd have a hard time telling some of the Europeans groups apart because I'm not accustomed to them. To me, a person from Norway would probably look a lot like someone from Sweden since I've had very little contact with either group. So perhaps the OP is grouping more of a varied type of people together than he may think?
Your fist two paragraphs is helpful. Your third paragraph is not what I’m talking about. I can tell the difference between Chinese, Japanese Korean, Filipino, Native American, Pacific Islander, Mexican, Cuban, Dominican, Haitian, Peruvian, and on and on. Matter of fact I have a tougher time determining between whether a white person is from Czechoslovakia or say Sweden. People have asked me if I’m Italian and I’m not even close. I’m Czech and Scottish. Regardless Any of these races and ethnicities doesn’t matter. The affects of incest are all the same. No matter what race or ethnicity a person is they will share the same physical characteristic of someone of another race or ethnicity who is bred from incest.

Old 07-26-2019, 06:01 PM

1,045 posts, read 759,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-D View Post
Cavedweebs!!
Are you 12?

Old 07-26-2019, 06:08 PM

4,336 posts, read 1,555,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screenwriter70 View Post
Are you 12?
Are you humorless? What did you think of "Hilobillies" (take off from "Hillbillies".

Old 07-26-2019, 08:22 PM

2,378 posts, read 1,316,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-D View Post
Are you humorless? What did you think of "Hilobillies" (take off from "Hillbillies".
I thought that was hysterical.

Old 07-26-2019, 08:54 PM

10 posts, read 7,581 times
Moved here to Fern Forest with my GF last August and we'll never go back. Loving the year round growing season and how we can use two painted on thermometers on the wall. The one for daytime is painted at 75° and the night time one is painted at 65°. Experiencing nothing but aloha from all our neighbors and friends.

Our last month in NorCal was spent loading a shipping container in 104° heat with the Carr Fire 30 miles to our north and the Mendocino Complex 50 miles south. We were getting smoke and ash no matter which way the wind blew. And seeing the decent into insanity that the California political scene has become, we made our "Escape From California" just in time.

Old 07-27-2019, 08:03 AM

197 posts, read 752,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeckSpawn View Post
Moved here to Fern Forest with my GF last August and we'll never go back. Loving the year round growing season and how we can use two painted on thermometers on the wall. The one for daytime is painted at 75° and the night time one is painted at 65°. Experiencing nothing but aloha from all our neighbors and friends.

Our last month in NorCal was spent loading a shipping container in 104° heat with the Carr Fire 30 miles to our north and the Mendocino Complex 50 miles south. We were getting smoke and ash no matter which way the wind blew. And seeing the decent into insanity that the California political scene has become, we made our "Escape From California" just in time.
Happy for you and your GF. I believe the aloha you’re receiving is in response to the aloha you’re extending to others. The rest of the Country should be that way.

Wishing you and your GF much happiness, good health, and success.

Old 07-27-2019, 09:27 AM

10,561 posts, read 7,767,498 times
Quote:
Moved here to Fern Forest with my GF last August and we'll never go back. Loving the year round growing season and how we can use two painted on thermometers on the wall. The one for daytime is painted at 75° and the night time one is painted at 65°. Experiencing nothing but aloha from all our neighbors and friends. .
What were your low temps last winter? First thing in morning I was seeing 60 or below on several occasions at 700 ft. elevation. Great news that everything is working out well for you.

Old 07-27-2019, 11:08 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,038,603 times
Quote:

E como mai! Glad you're doing well! A friend of mine used to collect different sweet potatoes because they grew well in Fern Forest. He had a couple dozen different varieties and potato salad at his house was always interesting.

Californians have been escaping for awhile, even before the fires. About ten years ago, some friends fled from California because of 'zombies in L.A.' whatever that means. They're in Puna and quite happy, especially now that the lava stopped. For awhile they weren't sure if they had escaped zombies to be eaten by lava, but they seem to have survived both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island