Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2019, 03:54 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,573,123 times

Advertisements

Lived on the BI several years. I'd move back in a new York minute if I had the $$$$. Love Hilo town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2019, 06:38 PM

927 posts, read 757,826 times
I used to help people get out of hawaii when they realized too late that their dream was not going to work out .

Old 08-15-2019, 07:15 PM

176 posts, read 129,097 times
My wife and I stayed in Hilo on our vacation about 10 years ago. We loved the town and the entire area. I wish I could remember the name of the place with the hot doughnuts up the coast with a view of the ocean.

When I came back a few years later with my son we stayed in Hilo again and one night in Kona. Kona was too touristy for me and I thought it was wrong the way the resorts on that coast had so much of the beach front restricted.

But I also know I would go island happy after a while. Come for a visit and respect the locals and you will get along fine. I want to come back one last time, perhaps in another 5 years or so.

Old 08-16-2019, 12:58 AM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentucky62 View Post
My wife and I stayed in Hilo on our vacation about 10 years ago. We loved the town and the entire area. I wish I could remember the name of the place with the hot doughnuts up the coast with a view of the ocean. <SNIP>

That was perhaps Tex Drive Inn above Honokaa? Doughnuts without holes that they called 'malasadas'? They're still there and they're still making malasadas. I like the ones with the lilikoi filling in the middle. Or the Bavarian Creme ones! Yummm

Old 08-16-2019, 12:59 AM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norman_w View Post
I used to help people get out of hawaii when they realized too late that their dream was not going to work out .

Part of the reason for this forum is to hopefully help them figure it out before they get here and get stuck, but that doesn't always work

Old 08-16-2019, 10:04 AM

176 posts, read 129,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
That was perhaps Tex Drive Inn above Honokaa? Doughnuts without holes that they called 'malasadas'? They're still there and they're still making malasadas. I like the ones with the lilikoi filling in the middle. Or the Bavarian Creme ones! Yummm
I did a google map look and yes that is the place . Those are the best. They had a few tables around back if I recall correctly. For us the the big island is the best as it has all features of the others except Pearl Harbor and related WWII sites for the history lovers.

There was a small local park on the southern end of the island where locals swam. Road 137 I think. The ocean waves crashed up on the rocks but the large natural inner pool was warmed by the volcanic vents people told us. I wondered if the last eruption covered it over or otherwise destroyed it.

My wife has me looking at rentals again She loved those doughnuts .

Old 08-17-2019, 09:43 AM

1,599 posts, read 1,429,361 times
I have PH on my bucket list as well as Hawaii in general.

My neighbor was in WWII onboard the Missouri manning Oerlikon 20 mm cannon and was one if the sailors in the picture when Japan surrendered. Unfortunately he is in failing health fast but at least I got him to relate some of his battle experiences to me when he was in better shape.

He even has the little paper card they printed out at the time for all the sailors that were present at the surrender ceremony.

Not sure what other WWII places to visit on the big island related to WWII. After that we would want to visit a more relaxing place to visit, suggestions?

Old 08-17-2019, 10:46 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStation46 View Post
I have PH on my bucket list as well as Hawaii in general.

My neighbor was in WWII onboard the Missouri manning Oerlikon 20 mm cannon and was one if the sailors in the picture when Japan surrendered. Unfortunately he is in failing health fast but at least I got him to relate some of his battle experiences to me when he was in better shape.

He even has the little paper card they printed out at the time for all the sailors that were present at the surrender ceremony.

Not sure what other WWII places to visit on the big island related to WWII. After that we would want to visit a more relaxing place to visit, suggestions?
Pearl Harbor and the Missouri is on the island of Oahu.

Old 08-17-2019, 11:00 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,660,633 times
The only WWII site I can think of on the Big Island is the pier at Whitington Beach near South Point. There used to be a railroad for hauling sugar cane to the boats that were at or near the pier. Story is that "we" blew up the pier in WWII to prevent the Japanese from coming ashore there. Hey, I don't make this stuff up!

Old 08-17-2019, 12:23 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,429,361 times
Thanks, Hawaii is just a place on the map. Looks like I have to schedule in some Island hopping time!

We looked into cruising from the West Coast to Hawaii but opted to pass and spend mote time on the Island when the trip comes up.

Jet Blue more room class out of JFK then take whatever seat upgrades you can buy from Hawaiian Airlines
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island