Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2018, 11:06 AM

10,551 posts, read 7,743,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windering7 View Post
I also have a difficult time meeting ambitious people. .
As a young retiree, what is your ambition? You could always try working on a farm by joining https://wwoofhawaii.org/

The big island has that to offer, and it may be a good way to meet other young folks too. But then, there could be the "smelly hippie" element to deal with here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2018, 12:08 PM

32 posts, read 32,286 times
Quote:

A lot of stuff you said is true unfortunately. I have only been living here for 4 months and as a single man in his 20s, it is challenging in many aspect. I didn't do too much research before moving out here because I love traveling and love to judge a place based on first hand experience through living there. And with anything, you usually get back what you give, but yes, even in Hawaii, people don't show aloha. I do understand where you're coming from. Like anywhere else in the world, nowhere is perfect. People are people. And also keep in mind that Hawaii has its history that still follows the islands today. The sovereignty movement is real. The locals and native hawaiians want their country back. With such a complicated history, the people of the islands are broken. That is why Hawaii for the most part, is a good place to visit. I mean, it is beautiful and the vacation spirit is well alive.

A lot of retirees settle in Hawaii because of the weather and sheer beauty of the islands are fantastic. But outside of that, The Big Island doesn't have much to offer. Anyhow, wherever you choose to live, I wish you the best of luck and remember to always make the best of it. And as for myself, I'll probably stick around for a year or two. I will not be living here long-term. The cost of living and the lack of access to things like on the mainland is a deal breaker for me. I also have a difficult time meeting ambitious people. The world is a huge place. There are plenty of places to live and enjoy life.
I’ve been on the BI for 6 months and found most people who relocated from the mainland to have more aloha towards me. I am still adjusting to the folks here. I’ve encountered some very kind people and some cheating, liar folks. This is a great vacation or short term living place.

Old 01-02-2019, 04:04 AM

69 posts, read 76,918 times
I am a white mainlander who has had 90% of the time,p experienced lots of Aloha from people I encounter. I have had no problem with employment, making friends or eating out with out ever getting sick! You should return to that nirvana called California. Why stay if you can’t get along with anyone here?

Old 01-26-2019, 10:04 PM

15 posts, read 26,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Have you thought about other places on any of the islands?

I think Hilo has to be one of the worst towns in all of Hawaii.
Can you share why you feel this way? I'm moving out of Hilo soon to other parts of the island.

Last edited by Windering7; 01-26-2019 at 11:02 PM..

Old 01-26-2019, 11:00 PM

15 posts, read 26,849 times
You speak the truth. Most of the people here in Hilo are either low class and ghetto or mainland retirees. Hilo/puna is cheap for a reason. You get what you pay for. Other parts of the island are beautiful and you can actually meet quality people outside of hilo/puna.

Old 01-27-2019, 08:20 PM

206 posts, read 466,186 times
I guess you didn't know much before moving here, and all you've spent the last six months doing is hating on other residents/employees of Puna to the point that you didn't even realize that Keauu is 8 miles down the road from Hilo and they are two totally different places.

Old 02-01-2019, 07:42 PM

10,551 posts, read 7,743,046 times
Quote:
... Hilo/puna is cheap for a reason. You get what you pay for. Other parts of the island are beautiful and you can actually meet quality people outside of hilo/puna.
You don't speak the truth. Other than housing, which is plenty expensive, East Hawaii is more expensive than Alaska. Lower prices for real estate are all about lava hazard zones and nothing to do with anything else. Check out prices on rainy Hamakua coast recently?

"Quality people" -sure, there are plenty of lowlifes about. There are also plenty of hardworking ambitious folks. Since you haven't shared your professional expertise or personal ambition I find it difficult taking you seriously. I

Old 02-10-2019, 01:13 PM

130 posts, read 152,582 times
If you are intolerant and unfriendly to others, it is not hard to believe that one would feel isolated in Puna. It's not a place where you can judge people based on white suburban ideals and prejudices. My experience is be friendly with everyone and you will find friends eventually. The advice to join community groups is an excellent idea. There are more eccentric people in Puna than most places, but in a lot of cases that just makes them interesting and less dull. In other cases it makes them someone to avoid (the meth addicts for example).

There are some race based cliques in Hawai'i County, but that is true pretty much anywhere. It only stings when you aren't part of the in crowd. County jobs will be harder to come by if you are white and even more so if you are unfriendly and overtly hostile to the ruling clique. If you come to Hawai'i from a place of white privilege it will be hard to adjust if you expect it to be the same as where you come from.

Old 02-10-2019, 04:01 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,505,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-D View Post
The biggest downside of Hawaii, in my experience, are the people, and I willfully exempt a few asian communities from that statement.
I lived in Hawai'i for a decade and moved away for work reasons, and I feel the exact opposite. The thing I miss most are the people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxthinkpinkxo View Post
I lived in Hilo 2.5 years. It's not Waikiki or Kona but I think it's a beautiful little town in its own way -- in a lot of ways, it's what you make of it. IMO, some people move over and find their niche community in East Hawaii and never leave -- but others don't (myself included if I'm being honest, I made friends out there but they were mostly fellow transplants). My take -- Yes it rains a lot in Hilo, yes local people can be a bit cliquey and yes good employment opportunities are limited (largely because of limited options I think). The scenery is stunning however and the weather is still very pleasant despite the rain. Traffic is minimal, quality of life is high and the cost of living is more affordable than anywhere else in the state. Those who respect the community there I think receive a lot more respect in return.
I completely agree. It's not the place for everyone, and certain parts of the island are better fits for certain kinds of people. Visiting and living are completely different beasts. And it's hard to integrate into certain groups of people unless you have an "in" and are wiling to put in the effort.

Old 04-30-2019, 09:30 PM

17 posts, read 19,915 times
Pardon but isn't that the go to answer on the Big Island? Instead of asking folks why they continue to stay somewhere they're not welcomed or comfortable, maybe locals can answer why they treat visitors and want to be islanders so harshly?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island