Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 12:44 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times

Advertisements

They deliver to houses? The Longs in Waimea? That could be interesting, although having it show up at the post office works pretty well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2019, 01:12 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,559,642 times
My suggestions-

Get Amazon Prime.

And get Spectrum High Speed Internet instead of Hawaiian Tel. If you get Hawn. tel. you will end up switching to Spectrum eventually.

Get the cheapest Spectrum TV package.

Order movie channels subscriptions thru your Amazon Prime, not directly thru Spectrum.

Also, Spectrum comes with hardline phone service.

Old 02-21-2019, 07:35 PM

65 posts, read 86,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
They deliver to houses? The Longs in Waimea? That could be interesting, although having it show up at the post office works pretty well.
Not sure how they arrange deliveries. But they deliver to Honokaa and up to Hawi and Kapa'au as well. I think it is only for month to month prescriptions

Old 03-13-2019, 08:54 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,225,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt2139 View Post
Greetings Everyone,

Have been following along here for the better part of the last 6 months while my wife and I begin our move to the Big Island. We are relocating from New York City and have purchased a home in Honokaa after repeated visits. We are planning to begin our transition in March with the goal of being there 100% by end of year (including finalizing sale of NYC house). We've been fortunate enough prepare ourselves by putting together an emergency fund for 12-18 months of living expenses. While we certainly do not plan on sitting around for a year, we'd like to use to use the first couple months to get our bearings and start meeting people. We're very interested in becoming part of the community and would like to volunteer or really just find the best ways to go about introducing ourselves and learning how we can start making a contribution to the community in some way.

Apologies for the wordy post but any advice on getting started would be sincerely appreciated. I hopefully won't be too much of a pain but would be really grateful for help on any of my likely very dumb questions.

Thanks all!
What are you going to do for work?

Old 03-19-2019, 09:12 AM

8 posts, read 10,395 times
We're both attorneys so will be taking the Hawaii Bar exam for starters but also plan on taking a look at our options as it relates to starting a business or working for someone else-or a combination thereof.

Old 03-22-2019, 07:53 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,225,564 times
Quote:
We're both attorneys so will be taking the Hawaii Bar exam for starters but also plan on taking a look at our options as it relates to starting a business or working for someone else-or a combination thereof.
Well that sounds awesome. Good for you guys. Any particular specialty??

Old 03-25-2019, 09:57 AM

8 posts, read 10,395 times
Thanks! We do investment management on the mainland which is not a huge market on Big Island but we've been able to get a lot of experience in real estate, contracts, and all that excitement. We're open to learning and will look to figure out if there is a need/niche for any services like that. Otherwise, I'm actually going to be completing the move full time in May and my partner will be joining me hopefully by mid-summer as she finishes up selling the apartment and working out her notice period with her employer. Then we'll take some time to get our bearings and see what's what.

Old 03-26-2019, 12:26 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
Hmm, wonder if an investment management 'niche' could be made for lower levels of income? Kinda like the folks who are working at the hotels and living paycheck to paycheck? Getting them onto a solid financial foundation would help the island. Helping rich people get richer doesn't seem to have as much beneficial kharma. Although, I dunno if you'd make any money at it? I haven't a clue how investment management works, the folks doing it must make income from it somewhere and there's probably a lot more to be made from managing rich people's money than poor people who need money.

A lot of island folks 'manage' by doing multiple things for income, so you don't have to be limited to one source of income. Now with the internet, there's now a fair number of folks who aren't limited by having to have employment on island, but work online.

Old 03-28-2019, 07:03 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,277,172 times
Quote:
Thanks! We do investment management on the mainland which is not a huge market on Big Island but we've been able to get a lot of experience in real estate, contracts, and all that excitement. We're open to learning and will look to figure out if there is a need/niche for any services like that. Otherwise, I'm actually going to be completing the move full time in May and my partner will be joining me hopefully by mid-summer as she finishes up selling the apartment and working out her notice period with her employer. Then we'll take some time to get our bearings and see what's what.
Are there any legal work opportunities that can be done remotely? Maybe you could work remotely for a company in a no income tax state and also avoid paying the Hawaii state income tax, unless Hawaii residents have to pay state income taxes that are sourced out of state.

Usually high income jobs are from companies owned by wealthy people or corporations owned by stockholders, many are also wealthy. If you want a high income job, it’s usually not working directly or indirectly with poor people. Same goes with financial advice. It’s generally a bad idea to get your financial advice from a poor person deep in debt, on the edge of homelessness, or homeless people.

Old 03-28-2019, 10:31 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
Are there any legal work opportunities that can be done remotely? Maybe you could work remotely for a company in a no income tax state and also avoid paying the Hawaii state income tax, unless Hawaii residents have to pay state income taxes that are sourced out of state.
While that would be quite nice if possible - you pay state taxes where you are physically are doing the work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island