Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 08:59 AM

5 posts, read 3,339 times

Advertisements

Hi: JustFriday and Matt2139 and all! My family will be relocating to the Big Island in August of 2020 and we would love to stay in touch with other new folks, as well as meet lots of current residents. We love the cooler climate between Kurtistown and Volcano as my husband is British and cannot abide the hot humid summers of Annapolis, Md. We would be interested in hearing about who you use for shipping and whether or not current residents suggest buying there or shipping furniture etc....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2019, 09:01 AM

Also, would current residents of the Big Island recommend building new or buying and if necessary renovating an existing property? We are avid organic gardeners and loves lots of farm beasties so want at least 3 acres. Most thankful for all positive opinions. :O)

Old 04-01-2019, 11:23 AM

181 posts, read 175,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aventi View Post
Hi: JustFriday and Matt2139 and all! My family will be relocating to the Big Island in August of 2020 and we would love to stay in touch with other new folks, as well as meet lots of current residents. We love the cooler climate between Kurtistown and Volcano as my husband is British and cannot abide the hot humid summers of Annapolis, Md. We would be interested in hearing about who you use for shipping and whether or not current residents suggest buying there or shipping furniture etc....
Aventi

We just relocated in February, it was a huge process just coming from the west coast. We made 4 trips between August to January; Locating then purchasing our home. I would say, just based on my experience we made the mistake and brought too much stuff. Not that we don’t have a place for it but it was expensive, and other than some family heirloom piece of furniture we ccould replace everything and save the cost of shipping it. Yes, furniture is more expensive here but honestly we ended up finding pieces of furniture here we liked much better.

As for cars, it really depends on what you’re bringing, if you are in love with it I say bring it otherwise, and again this is just my opinion, I would have sold my cars in the mainland and just come here and found something. Toyotas are everywhere, and if you’re looking for a pick up truck, you will pay a premium but it saves on the hassle and the headache.

Also, in terms of building new or a bar in existing home, I think for the most part of the pens on where on the island you want to be but if you’re considering areas like Volcano, etc. and you want acreage, just find an existing home that fits most of your needs, and you can renovate if needed. We bought a bank foreclosed property, we end up saving a ton of money over what it would cost to build new and even though it isn’t exactly perfect, it gives us a lot of flexibility to do what we want with it.

Old 04-01-2019, 02:28 PM

Smile Relocating to the Big Island

Amadrid:

Hi, and thank you so much for your quick response. I keep going back and forth between building and renovating. I was able to speak with a representative at Honsador Lumber about their package homes, costs, timelines and possible builders. They will build while you are not on the island and hopefully the home would be close to completion by the time you moved there, so that is one option.

In buying an existing property, I do worry about wear and tear and if it might not be better to start with a newer home. Its a dilemma to be sure. I have some allergies to dust and mold and so thought a newer home that we could put a whole house humidifier might be a good idea.

As for the furniture, your response helps alot and again, I thank you for your information. I think we will leave quite a bit here and just buy new and gently used stuff.

What part of the island are you near? Did you visit often before you moved over? Did you find it a tough transition? Did you know folks there or was it easy to meet and make new friends? We really want to expand our social life with healthy life folks.

Aventi

Old 04-01-2019, 02:38 PM

32 posts, read 32,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
While that would be quite nice if possible - you pay state taxes where you are physically are doing the work.
I think if you are doing online work for an out of state client, then you do not pay Hawaii income tax. That is according to my accountant. Is she wrong? I only sent my estimated quarterly taxes in the the IRS.

Old 04-01-2019, 04:21 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,020,110 times
It may have been better to have started your own thread, Aventi, since the OP will be relocating this past month and you're looking a year away or more.

Same with the tax questions, at least, if you're looking for answers to tax questions since anyone reading the title of the post won't necessarily notice it's about the new topic.

Old 04-01-2019, 04:25 PM

Default opps

oh so sorry. Let me see if I can figure out how to do that. Have a super day.

Old 04-01-2019, 04:28 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,020,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aventi View Post
Amadrid:

Hi, and thank you so much for your quick response. I keep going back and forth between building and renovating. I was able to speak with a representative at Honsador Lumber about their package homes, costs, timelines and possible builders. They will build while you are not on the island and hopefully the home would be close to completion by the time you moved there, so that is one option.

In buying an existing property, I do worry about wear and tear and if it might not be better to start with a newer home. Its a dilemma to be sure. I have some allergies to dust and mold and so thought a newer home that we could put a whole house humidifier might be a good idea.

As for the furniture, your response helps alot and again, I thank you for your information. I think we will leave quite a bit here and just buy new and gently used stuff.

What part of the island are you near? Did you visit often before you moved over? Did you find it a tough transition? Did you know folks there or was it easy to meet and make new friends? We really want to expand our social life with healthy life folks.

Aventi

A package home may be something that could be built while you weren't there, but tons of things can go wrong if you're not there to notice. Or there are things you'd want changed which could be changed easily during the construction phase and would be much more difficult once it's completed. If it were me, I'd never build a house without being nearby or on site.

If you have issues with dust and mold, perhaps renting a house for a year in the area you're considering may save you the bother of finding out later that the climate doesn't agree with you.

I'm suspecting you mean a whole house de-humidifier? Humidity is something we usually have rather a lot of around here. Although some areas are more humid than others.

Old 04-01-2019, 05:45 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,899,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandbound4 View Post
I think if you are doing online work for an out of state client, then you do not pay Hawaii income tax. That is according to my accountant. Is she wrong? I only sent my estimated quarterly taxes in the the IRS.
If you reside in Hawaii and are doing the work in Hawaii - you pay Hawaii tax. It is as simple as that - there are no exceptions. It doesn't matter if the client is in California, Japan, or the Moon. I'd get another accountant unless they were very confused on how you posed the question.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/35...-i-m-living-in

Old 04-01-2019, 08:24 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,663,767 times
Aventi, I hope you've read through the many posts here discussions your questions. There are a bunch of us on this site who have done exactly what you are planning to do, and you can gain a lot of knowledge with a little research.

Have you visited the Big Island, and especially the area you are talking about? Have you looked at annual average rainfall in Kurtistown? We have friends who used to live outside of Mountain View, and they could get as much as 9" in one day!

There are other areas on the Big Island that aren't hot and humid like you mentioned in Maryland. We are at 1,200 feet in elevation on the south end of the island, and we have very moderate temperatures. That, along with the usual tradewinds, keeps us very comfortable year round.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island