Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2019, 09:00 PM

2,378 posts, read 1,315,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rya96797 View Post
think about why those places were unsatisfactory and what would make the BI different. it's possible you're running from deeper problems/issues that aren't going to be solved by moving to a rock in the pacific ocean. just my 0.02.
Dammit quote. No idea who you are replying to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2019, 01:44 AM

2,095 posts, read 1,558,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
Dammit quote. No idea who you are replying to.
Sorry, original poster.

Quote:
Apologies to all for probably asking questions that have been answered previously, but after returning to the US four years ago and finding life to be unsatisfactory in two places, I am trying to really do my homework before committing to a move to the BI.

Old 07-15-2019, 03:02 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,035,149 times
Well, if he's used to Thailand, it may be hard to readjust to the U.S., although the OP hasn't mentioned which other places he's tried.

My friend who moved to Thailand twenty years ago has no intent of ever moving back to the U.S., mostly due to more expensive costs of living. Plus his Thai wife freezes when she visits here, so there may be more adjustments to make than just social and economic ones.

The United States is a pretty big place, one would hope there'd be somewhere comfortable for the OP, but maybe there's nowhere comparable to where he was in Thailand. Hard for say, everything is specific to each individual. What's that saying? Something about good thing we don't all like haggis or think of the haggis shortage there would be?

Old 07-15-2019, 05:17 PM

4,336 posts, read 1,555,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
there are more whites than any other race on the bi. That makes them the the dominant race. Jeez. I didn’t say they were the majority.
10-4

Old 07-16-2019, 09:18 AM
HRW HRW started this thread

83 posts, read 88,066 times
I have been giving this a lot of thought and countless discussions with my partner and we are now considering moving back to Bangkok and then traveling from their at least six months a year.

Old 07-17-2019, 01:07 AM

Probably a less expensive place to live. My Thai friend always complains about the expensive prices here and is always trying to figure out how much it would be in baht. Then when he'd figured it out, he'd howl.

Old 07-17-2019, 01:39 AM
HRW HRW started this thread

83 posts, read 88,066 times
Bangkok has a lot of faults, particularly traffic, but I am now thinking that with the cheap airlines, getting away will be easy

Old 07-17-2019, 11:01 AM

Being 2,500 miles away from most of the other land masses does make traveling to and from Hawaii one of the drawbacks to living here. Every time we want to go on vacation, we have to factor in some pretty expensive airfare to and from where ever. There's not many other options other than airfare. Even to get between the islands, we pretty much have to fly.

Plus it's the 5+ hour flight each way. If we lived on any mainland, we'd probably travel more. But, once you get here, it's pretty nice to be here so we like living here, just wish it was cheaper and easier to travel.

It is a nice place to come home to after traveling.

Old 09-03-2019, 09:11 AM

7 posts, read 6,623 times
Agree, Kona versus the East Side are entirely different. In my view the Kona side is very touristy and not much cultural diversity. I love the East side. I do suggest some extended visits before choosing.

Old 09-04-2019, 01:52 AM

105 posts, read 61,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Have you actually been to the Big Island - specifically the Kailua-Kona area?

You mention in your post you are looking for cultural diversity, etc - and in my opinion, I've never found the Kailua-Kona area very culturally diverse (and quite frankly, the island in general) - it is by the way, the only island, where Caucasians are the dominant race - and more and more Caucasians appear to moving in. Sure, you'll find more Asian restaurants than Charleston SC - but you'd also find that practically anywhere in California and save yourself from living on a remote island in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.
What he said!

If you are looking for an isolated island, in the middle of the ocean, there are only two locations you should consider, Big Island and that place where Tom Hanks and Wilson lived.

Ruff
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island