Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2021, 11:19 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,164,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
During the eruption when we were having thousands of earthquakes a day, the Pahoa Longs had straps on the shelves in the wine/liquor section to keep stuff from falling off. It was an eerie thing to live through. When driving on 130 from Keaau towards Pahoa it looked like driving into Armageddon. All the separate fissures had their own black or white smoke billowing from them and the smoke hung oppressively low in the heavens like they were hitting a ceiling. At night it was even crazier with the lava glow outshining the moon and stars and also illuminating the smoke.

The eruption made the rain acidic so some of our vegetation started dying. All the while, every day, the ground was shaking and there were explosions every few minutes coming from the fissures that would rattle our windows and spook the dogs. I can't think of any adjectives that do justice in describing the experiences. The National Guard checkpoints and the blackhawk helicopters in the sky running survey and rescue missions added another element to the chaos. Every night we would go out into our yard and look at the glow from the lava. After awhile we quit taking pictures of it, and after awhile longer sometimes we never even went out to look at it. "This is just life now". And then just as mysteriously as it started, it ended.

In the very beginning, when the lava drained out of the summit and the earthquakes began I said to the wife, "I think we are about to live through some s h ! t". And we did.

I think the worst part of it was when Pele's Hair started falling. Not because having glass strands in our catchment (drinking) water was bad, but because it was going to dump razor sharp glass strands all over the fields where our livestock need to eat. We rushed, but all the stores were sold out of hay. Miraculously, the winds quickly blew it away and we only got a harmless dusting. Our friends just a few miles away had their gutters fill with the glass. What a difference a few miles make.

The toxic volcanic gasses were yet another story beyond causing plant killing acid rain...
Those were crazy times and I am glad I got to experience them (though nowhere as intimately as you). I recall going to Pahoa for dinner one weekend during the height of the eruption; the sky was glowing red like what you would imagine Armageddon would look like. Yet they were having live music in town that night and everyone was just sort of walking around fairly immune to it all. It was a bit surreal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2021, 09:18 AM

10,561 posts, read 7,763,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luau Time View Post
Just curious if it’s random nilly willy..
Not random, just depends on where earthquake is located and how strong it is.

Guaranteed you will feel an earthquake eventually on island, regardless of where you're at.

Old 02-12-2021, 07:49 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,906,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassyknoll View Post
Those were crazy times and I am glad I got to experience them (though nowhere as intimately as you). I recall going to Pahoa for dinner one weekend during the height of the eruption; the sky was glowing red like what you would imagine Armageddon would look like. Yet they were having live music in town that night and everyone was just sort of walking around fairly immune to it all. It was a bit surreal.
Surreal is the only word I can think of to describe it. When I was a kid our house/property in Oregon got ash dumped on it repeated from Mt. Saint Helens. We watched the volcano erupt. But it was a long ways away. The Leilani eruption was more... intimate... for lack of a better word.

Old 02-15-2021, 10:56 AM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,164,671 times
Quote:
Surreal is the only word I can think of to describe it. When I was a kid our house/property in Oregon got ash dumped on it repeated from Mt. Saint Helens. We watched the volcano erupt. But it was a long ways away. The Leilani eruption was more... intimate... for lack of a better word.
I lived in Anchorage Alaska during the Mt. St. Helens eruptions and we had ash landing up there too.

Old 02-15-2021, 01:08 PM

Maybe this is a good opportunity to remind people what to do during an earthquake. Or what not to do. I was always told to "stand in a doorway" but it turns out that is actually the last place you want to be.

https://earthquakekitguide.com/earth...-an-earthquake

A lot of it is going to depend on where you are when the earthquake hits. When the 5.5 hit I was eating lunch in my car at Reeds Bay. The car's suspension magnified the shaking so I didn't know how strong the quake was. The tsunami sirens didn't go off but I decided to drive away from the water anyway.

When the 6.9 hit I was in an office. There were some things on wheels that rolled all the way across the floor. If they were heavy they could have potentially injured somebody. Again the tsunami sirens didn't go off but I was again by the water and I left the area. I found out later the trigger threshold for the sirens to go off was 7.0.

Speaking of water, in a large earthquake you have to be aware that your catchment tank could fail. There was a house in HOVE that was knocked off it's post and pier when the tank failed and the wall of water hit it. This wasn't during the earthquake, it was because the tank wasn't assembled correctly.

Old 02-17-2021, 02:28 PM

189 posts, read 189,627 times
Quote:
Maybe this is a good opportunity to remind people what to do during an earthquake. Or what not to do. I was always told to "stand in a doorway" but it turns out that is actually the last place you want to be.

https://earthquakekitguide.com/earth...-an-earthquake

A lot of it is going to depend on where you are when the earthquake hits. When the 5.5 hit I was eating lunch in my car at Reeds Bay. The car's suspension magnified the shaking so I didn't know how strong the quake was. The tsunami sirens didn't go off but I decided to drive away from the water anyway.

When the 6.9 hit I was in an office. There were some things on wheels that rolled all the way across the floor. If they were heavy they could have potentially injured somebody. Again the tsunami sirens didn't go off but I was again by the water and I left the area. I found out later the trigger threshold for the sirens to go off was 7.0.

Speaking of water, in a large earthquake you have to be aware that your catchment tank could fail. There was a house in HOVE that was knocked off it's post and pier when the tank failed and the wall of water hit it. This wasn't during the earthquake, it was because the tank wasn't assembled correctly.
I also read that crouching in a corner, especially next to furniture (not a window) is a safe place since roofs fall inward into a room and not into the corner.

Old 02-17-2021, 07:02 PM

Funny you mentioned window. I was staying in a hotel in LA and they had a "earthquake fact sheet" with pointers like "stay away from the windows". As my luck would have it, I was shaken awake that night by an earthquake. In my half-asleep state my first instinct was to look out the window, so that's what I did. Then I remembered "stay away from the windows!" so I moved away from them.

I was on the top floor of the hotel. The higher up you go in a high-rise the more magnified the shaking is, like a pole whipping back and forth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island