Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2021, 12:53 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,831,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
This is just me, but I would never buy a new car here. Just something good enough to get from point A to point B. The furthest you will ever have to go is Kona. As long as it can get there safely, that’s all you need.
I felt that way when I moved here but since I don't have kids of my own and my 2 nephews and 3 nieces each stand to inherit millions from their parents and grandparents, they don't need my money (and the older ones already have great careers).

I earn six figures annually and have a 403b and a Roth IRA that I won't touch until I reach mandatory withdrawals (RMDs). In a few years, I plan to quit working and then add Social Security to my income stream so I think to myself: "I can't outlive my income so why drive an old car"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2021, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel188 View Post
Oh boy. this is a sad fact I did not know about. I finally have the nicest vehicle I have ever had in my life, 4 runner and i planned on keeping her forever in nice condition. I plan to have a garage thou, so hope that helps. Maybe Ill park far away and walk to the store hahaha
Bring lots of money. Most condos here at less than $1 million don't have a garage and some at even $5 million don't include a garage. Homes often don't if they are less than $1 million.

Old 05-25-2021, 11:11 AM

2,378 posts, read 1,315,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
I felt that way when I moved here but since I don't have kids of my own and my 2 nephews and 3 nieces each stand to inherit millions from their parents and grandparents, they don't need my money (and the older ones already have great careers).

I earn six figures annually and have a 403b and a Roth IRA that I won't touch until I reach mandatory withdrawals (RMDs). In a few years, I plan to quit working and then add Social Security to my income stream so I think to myself: "I can't outlive my income so why drive an old car"?
Seems cars here don’t seem to last, especially on the Hilo side. Kona side is dryer, so maybe the weather isn’t as much of a factor. My car smells like crap and was infested with ants.

Old 05-25-2021, 11:57 AM

10,558 posts, read 7,758,541 times
Quote:
Oh boy. this is a sad fact I did not know about. I finally have the nicest vehicle I have ever had in my life, 4 runner and i planned on keeping her forever in nice condition. I plan to have a garage thou, so hope that helps. Maybe Ill park far away and walk to the store hahaha
A garage or carport helps a helluva lot, especially in the wetter areas. I've had a 1990 4Runner under carport in Puna for 19 years. It still has zero rust underneath, just a couple spots on sheet metal. However, it only sees part time use. My biggest concern is rats getting into it while I'm gone.

Hawaii in general is a car culture, residents typically take pretty good care of their rolling stock. Leather seats should do OK, though I don't have them.

Old 05-25-2021, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
Seems cars here don’t seem to last, especially on the Hilo side. Kona side is dryer, so maybe the weather isn’t as much of a factor. My car smells like crap and was infested with ants.
When I first moved here my neighbors warned me to keep the windows up while parked. I have always done that and it has kept cockroaches, mold, (and the homeless) from moving in. Occasionally I will have a small ant invasion after a heavy rain, but a little spray sends them away.

In California my car used to get stinky from my own sweat. When I moved here that disappeared. I truly believe it is a difference in the chemistry of the water. My car, my dirty clothes, and even my shoes all quit smelling since I moved over here. Whenever I visit Ca. I notice that scent returning after a few days.

Old 05-25-2021, 02:41 PM

10 posts, read 7,243 times
Quote:
Bring lots of money. Most condos here at less than $1 million don't have a garage and some at even $5 million don't include a garage. Homes often don't if they are less than $1 million.
Oh I plan to buy land, and have a house with garage built. ;-)

Old 05-25-2021, 02:42 PM

10 posts, read 7,243 times
Quote:
When I first moved here my neighbors warned me to keep the windows up while parked. I have always done that and it has kept cockroaches, mold, (and the homeless) from moving in. Occasionally I will have a small ant invasion after a heavy rain, but a little spray sends them away.

In California my car used to get stinky from my own sweat. When I moved here that disappeared. I truly believe it is a difference in the chemistry of the water. My car, my dirty clothes, and even my shoes all quit smelling since I moved over here. Whenever I visit Ca. I notice that scent returning after a few days.
Wow that is super interesting, why do you think that is? I live in Southern CA.

Old 05-25-2021, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Oh I plan to buy land, and have a house with garage built. ;-)
Keep us posted...

Old 05-25-2021, 03:38 PM

344 posts, read 251,056 times
Quote:

In Puna?!?

Old 05-25-2021, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KohalaTransplant View Post
In Puna?!?
YES, PUNA!!!

LOL, I was actually referring to Hawaii in general. Are there condos in Puna? I thought Punatics live in mostly unpermitted self-builds?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: