Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2006, 07:02 AM

3 posts, read 15,099 times

Advertisements

My family and I will be staying in Hilo for three days at the end of March 2007. We are looking for good beaches or warm tide pools in the Pahoa area or any other good sites for families. We will also be in the Kona for four days. Thanks in advance for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2006, 12:34 AM

2,081 posts, read 5,605,317 times
For hotponds, try the Kapoho Vacationland area or the Kapoho Beachlots, if you know someone staying in that gated, private neighborhood, great, clean hotponds there. Avoid the Ahalanui hotpond park, as it has lately become a victim of it's own popularity and overuse, (bacterium).

Old 12-13-2006, 06:10 PM

3 posts, read 15,099 times
Smile good family beaches around tiki gardens

thanks leilaniguy for reply, we have a vacant lot in tiki gardens and have only seen it once, and had little time to explore. this time at end of march we will have 3 days, what is the fastest way driving from kona, north or south? what about beaches and tide pools around tiki gardens? ( bringing the kids) the one you reccommended: you have to know some one? we are going to stay in hilo for the 3 days what about traffic going and coming? any time of day the best? in you opinon, is it worth it to sell vacant lot and build or buy on west side of island? looking to spend $200k-$250K we visited last year and really like up north around hawi. what would you prefer? right now for past 20 years lived in so. cal. los angeles area and everything i read about the hilo side kinda scares us about the rain and now the centepides? i don't mind the rain at night. but how much in the day? on line weather channel says it's raining in keeau every day. ready to retire kids will be gone and get away from this rat race in about 5 years. by then enough money to kick back and relax maybe get job at golf course. thanks for all your help just trying to figure out my avenues.

Old 12-13-2006, 07:31 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,269,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim patin View Post
what is the fastest way driving from kona, north or south?
Usually, it's the northern route via Saddle Road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim patin View Post
what about beaches and tide pools around tiki gardens? ( bringing the kids) the one you reccommended: you have to know some one? we are going to stay in hilo for the 3 days what about traffic going and coming? any time of day the best? in you opinon, is it worth it to sell vacant lot and build or buy on west side of island? looking to spend $200k-$250K we visited last year and really like up north around hawi. what would you prefer? right now for past 20 years lived in so. cal. los angeles area and everything i read about the hilo side kinda scares us about the rain and now the centepides? i don't mind the rain at night. but how much in the day? on line weather channel says it's raining in keeau every day. ready to retire kids will be gone and get away from this rat race in about 5 years. by then enough money to kick back and relax maybe get job at golf course. thanks for all your help just trying to figure out my avenues.
For ocean access and tide pools around Tiki Gardens, Kapoho is probably your best bet. As for selling a vacant lot and buying on the Kona side of the island, $200K to $250K is not going to get you that much. In addition, the Kona side of the Big Island is now pretty similar to Southern California with its traffic woes, vog, earthquakes, and housing prices.

It usually rains at night on the Hilo side and sometimes, there are a few showers during the day. Centipedes are less of a problem than coqui frogs and Albizia trees. Before moving to the Big Island, I highly recommend a couple of extended visits. As a part-time California resident, I find myself missing things like In-n-Out burgers, the local news in HD, IKEA, Trader Joe's, Fry's Electronics, Porsche and Lexus dealerships, Lakers and Clippers games at the Staples Center, etc. when I'm in Hawai'i.

Old 12-19-2006, 07:35 PM

1,749 posts, read 8,344,464 times
[quote=Jonah K;209945]Usually, it's the northern route via Saddle Road.

Quote:
It usually rains at night on the Hilo side and sometimes, there are a few showers during the day.
This is true much of the year, in the winter it can rain for days at a time. It can be Biblical.

Quote:
As a part-time California resident, I find myself missing things like In-n-Out burgers, the local news in HD, IKEA, Trader Joe's, Fry's Electronics, Porsche and Lexus dealerships, Lakers and Clippers games at the Staples Center, etc. when I'm in Hawai'i.
Yep, me too. I'm moving back next month.

Regarding cheap stuff on the Kona side, the further south you go, the cheaper it gets. You can still buy something nice for your 200-250k in South Kona but it won't be close to town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island