Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2021, 04:41 PM

128 posts, read 265,088 times

Advertisements

Aloha Friends and Neighbors! I hope everyone is doing well and staying healthy. I wanted to get some advice on the Grading and the Septic Install for my property. I am building a 900 square foot house in Milolii. It’s essentially a 2-story home with the lower level left open. I am currently in the permitting process but have already started getting quotes. However, I am wanting to make sure that I am getting a fair price. I just received a quote for $17,500 from a guy that I was referred to. The quote is for all materials & Labor which includes the following;

- Grading of the House Pad and Water Tank
- Digging of all utility trenches
- Backfill of all trenches once utilities are installed
- Includes 30 tons 6” minus
- Includes 30 tons of 1.5” basecourse
- Install of the Septic System (4-bedroom capacity)
- Site clean-up

Do you think this is a good price. What is the going rate for this scope of work? I just want to ensure that I am not being taken advantage of as we are working on a tight budget. Is there someone that you would recommend? Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. Mahalo in advance for your help.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2021, 05:34 PM

344 posts, read 251,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjmontijo View Post
Aloha Friends and Neighbors! I hope everyone is doing well and staying healthy. I wanted to get some advice on the Grading and the Septic Install for my property. I am building a 900 square foot house in Milolii. It’s essentially a 2-story home with the lower level left open. I am currently in the permitting process but have already started getting quotes. However, I am wanting to make sure that I am getting a fair price. I just received a quote for $17,500 from a guy that I was referred to. The quote is for all materials & Labor which includes the following;

- Grading of the House Pad and Water Tank
- Digging of all utility trenches
- Backfill of all trenches once utilities are installed
- Includes 30 tons 6” minus
- Includes 30 tons of 1.5” basecourse
- Install of the Septic System (4-bedroom capacity)
- Site clean-up

Do you think this is a good price. What is the going rate for this scope of work? I just want to ensure that I am not being taken advantage of as we are working on a tight budget. Is there someone that you would recommend? Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. Mahalo in advance for your help.

It depends on the size of the project. How many feet of trenching? How big of a pad? Is it on a slope, how many yards of material is being moved for the grading? What type of soil, soft top soil or solid blue rock that will require hammering?

When we had our house built a couple years ago, just the hammering cost more than that. So, it sounds like a great price to me on the surface, but it really depends on the details.

Old 06-16-2021, 06:47 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,676,166 times
Is this someone recommended by one of your neighbors there?

Old 06-17-2021, 12:17 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,165,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KohalaTransplant View Post
It depends on the size of the project. How many feet of trenching? How big of a pad? Is it on a slope, how many yards of material is being moved for the grading? What type of soil, soft top soil or solid blue rock that will require hammering?

When we had our house built a couple years ago, just the hammering cost more than that. So, it sounds like a great price to me on the surface, but it really depends on the details.
If the house is down in Miloli'i, it's most likely going to be solid lava.

Old 06-18-2021, 03:28 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,042,466 times
Well, crunchy lava, not the solid bluerock type, I'd expect. Still, getting anyone to go down the road to Milolii is impressive, I'd not want to bring a flatbed hauling equipment down that road.

If it were me, I'd opt for the larger 6 bedroom septic tank so there's room for expansion later. See how much price difference there is between the two tank sizes, it's probably not all that much and will make it a lot easier when you want to add on a couple of bedrooms.

Also, the price quoted may not come close to matching the final price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island